cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

D-LINK DSL-3782 drops Internet link shortly after new Lenovo laptop connects

endcliffelad
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 9

I have an odd problem. My new Lenovo laptop crashes the Internet link (red light goes on router internet LED) shortly after connecting to WiFi.

This same laptop works perfectly fine on other routers and also on my phone running as a mobile hotspot. It just the talk-talk router.

I wondered if a firmware upgrade would help as this router is a few years old. But the admin page says this is not allowed.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Morning @endcliffelad 

That's great, thanks for letting us know 🙂

I've sent you a Private Message with a link to a short survey for the Community.

Thanks again.

Debbie

0 Likes

endcliffelad
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 9

Hi Debbie,

I have received and installed the router that you sent (I've also shipped the old one back).

I can confirm that the Lenovo laptop works perfectly well with the new router as does all my other devices.

That seems to underline that there was some issue with the old router.

Thanks to all involved in resolving this.

@KeithFrench kind of you to push this through. I was convinced that it was a router 'fault'. It may have been solvable by software but honestly it wouldn't have been worth compromising PCs, router options etc.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 9

If you still have the same problems with the replacement router @endcliffelad then I am sure I can help you. I just didn't want to waste my time with such an old router, hence why I asked @Debbie-TalkTalk to replace it for you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 5 of 9

Hi @endcliffelad 

No problem 🙂

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

endcliffelad
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 9

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the quick response. 

The fault is puzzling but certainly consistent.

I can connect the laptop via a TP-Link WiFi extender (i.e. linked via network cables to the existing router) and this works for my daughter as long as it doesn't try to directly connect to the main router.

I have fully updated all the drivers, Windows etc. on the laptop.

I can also confirm that the PC works on other WiFi networks. So, this seems to point directly at this older router.

I'm grateful, therefore, for a speedy potential solution.

Fingers crossed.

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 9

Hi @endcliffelad 

I've ordered you a replacement router as I can see that you are using one of our older routers, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 9

TalkTalk always controls router firmware, you cannot do it yourself. It would sound like a fault with your Lenovo, but as your router is so old, it is worth replacing. I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and replace it for you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?