cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Dropping Service

AnybodyHome
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 31 of 31

Hi,

I have Fibre 65 broadband and a TT landline phone.  Service has been great for more than a year.  The past week as the day goes on and into the afternoon the broadband starts to drop and crackling can be heard on the phone.  By the time it gets to about 6PM the broadband is dropping more often for longer periods, and you can barely hear the person on the other end of the phone.  Next morning, everything is fine again, once we move into the afternoon and evening it repeats.

It doesn't sound like a internal issue but I've checked all the equipment and updated the firmware.  Everything is fine but still the problem is happening.  Any idea what the the fault might be?

Cheers,

0 Likes
30 REPLIES 30

Message 1 of 31

Hi AnybodyHome

I'm glad to hear that the router has been well rested 🙂 and that the speed has improved.

Please can you now keep the router powered up whilst DLM is monitoring the connection/speed.

If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 2 of 31

Hi Debbie,

Turned off the router overnight so it's had a good kip.  Turned it on and left it for 2 hours to get itself setup.  Initially it was running at a lowly 29MB/s, but about an hour later it picked up.  Managed to cross 40 twice - 42.1MB/s and 41.9MB/s - but in the main it is running at around 39MB/s.  Still an improvement on before!

Cheers,

Message 3 of 31

Hi AnybodyHome

Thanks for your reply.

It would be worth powering down the router for a full 30 minutes as this should help increase the throughput speed.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 31

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for following up on this.  The service is back to normal, that is, what we had before all the problems with the outside wires.  46MB/s is great, but we've never manged to reach those heights.  The highest we've ever seen around 38MB/s.  But it must be working OK because the kids aren't grumbling, too much!

Cheers,

Message 5 of 31

Hi AnybodyHome

The line is now showing in sync at just over 46mb.

Has everything been working ok?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 31

Hi AnybodyHome

I'm so glad to hear this.

The speed may increase further if the connection remains stable.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 31

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for that.  The speed has now gone up to 33.6Mb/s.  I was hoping to break 40Mb/s with the new wire but it's close enough to what we were achieving before.  Many thanks for your help with getting us back online.

Cheers,

0 Likes

Message 8 of 31

Hi AnybodyHome

The firmware update is now complete.

Thanks 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 31

Hi AnybodyHome

Ok thank you. I will ask the team to push the update to your router and I will post back to confirm once this has been completed.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 31

Hi Michelle,

Yes, that should be fine.

Cheers,

0 Likes

Message 11 of 31

Hi AnybodyHome

The connection will drop for a couple of minutes but will re connect on its own.

Will this still be ok?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 31

Hi Michelle,

Yes please!  Will the broadband stop whilst they are doing this? If so, for how long.

Cheers,

0 Likes

Message 13 of 31

Hi AnybodyHome

I can ask our Devices Team to update your router firmware to the new version, would you like me to arrange this to see how the connection compares?

0 Likes

Message 14 of 31

Hi Michelle,

With a wired connection the speed went up to 37.7Mb/s.  Which seems a bit low for a wire connection.  Last week before the TT engineer visited I spoke with TT phone support and they remotely made some changes to the router.  This included updating the firmware and changing all the wifi channels.  I don't know what changes were so made but would you please check the settings just in case that might be having an impact.

Cheers,

0 Likes

Message 15 of 31

Hi,

Ok, would it be possible to run a wired speed test just so we can compare the two? If the wired speeds are ok then we can focus on the wireless connection.

Thanks

Message 16 of 31

Hi Michelle,

it was a wireless test, using the same desktop and dongle and that has been in place since the beginning of last year.

Cheers,

0 Likes

Message 17 of 31

Hello,

Thanks for trying this. This speed test does seem a little low based upon the sync speed. Can I just confirm, was this a wired or wireless speed test?

Thanks

AnybodyHome
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 31

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for that.  I did as you suggested and before the power down the download speed was 13Mb/s.  After power down it has gone up to just short of 26Mb/s.  A definite improvement.  However, for the last year, up to two weeks ago when all the problems started it was constant at around 35Mb/s.  Is there anything else I can try to get it back up to its previous speed.

Cheers,

0 Likes

Message 19 of 31

Morning,

Thanks for the update. I've re-checked the connection stats now and the sync speed looks consistent. Could you try powering down the router for a full 30 minutes please and then retest the speeds again as this will reset the current session and can often increase the throughput speeds.

Thanks

0 Likes

AnybodyHome
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 31

Hi Chris,

Sorry for not replying sooner but the broadband cut out completely.  I managed to book a BT engineer on the phone but it took a while to make the appointment because the crackling was so bad we had trouble hearing each other.

The BT Openreach engineer came today and found the problem was at a pole 50m from the property.  When he went up the pole he found that our wire had badly corroded and fell apart when he touched it.  He made the repairs and the phone is working again.  The broadband is working but we are on Fibre 65 and it is achieving a download speed of 10Mb/s.  The BT engineer said that when all the interference started the system automatically capped our service.  It now needs to be "uncapped" so that it can go back up to its normal speed.  Could you do this please.

Cheers,

0 Likes