cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Dropping Service

AnybodyHome
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 31 of 31

Hi,

I have Fibre 65 broadband and a TT landline phone.  Service has been great for more than a year.  The past week as the day goes on and into the afternoon the broadband starts to drop and crackling can be heard on the phone.  By the time it gets to about 6PM the broadband is dropping more often for longer periods, and you can barely hear the person on the other end of the phone.  Next morning, everything is fine again, once we move into the afternoon and evening it repeats.

It doesn't sound like a internal issue but I've checked all the equipment and updated the firmware.  Everything is fine but still the problem is happening.  Any idea what the the fault might be?

Cheers,

0 Likes
30 REPLIES 30

Message 21 of 31

As the line test is picking up a potential fault then it's unlikely that there would be a charge but we do have to confirm that you accept potential charges before we book the engineer

Chris

0 Likes

AnybodyHome
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 31

Hi Chris,

I'm a bit confused by "If a fault is found outside then there wont be any charges".  The TT engineer has already visited and checked the router and said that it is fine.  The TT engineer has already diagnosed the problem is outside the property and a BT Openreach engineer is needed to fix the problem.

Cheers,

0 Likes

Message 23 of 31

Hi Anybodyhome,

If a fault is found outside then there wont be any charges. Please see the following help article for full details of potential engineer charges - Your TalkTalk engineer appointment - TalkTalk Help & Support

If you'd like to go ahead could you confirm that you accept potential engineer charges and we'll book the engineer visit for you

Chris

0 Likes

AnybodyHome
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 31

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for the reply.  The TT engineer diagnosed that both the broadband and phone are faulty and the issue is completely outside of the property.  At this moment there is a dial tone but the phone has audible cracking which gets worse as the day progress.  After 5PM the crackling is so loud that it is not possible to hold a conversation.  When I logged the call last week this happened after 6PM, but it is getting worse.  Everything has been tested and no fault was found with any of the equipment inside the property, as the issue is external there should not be any (time related or other) charges.

Cheers,

0 Likes

Message 25 of 31

Hello,

Thanks for the update and I'm really sorry to hear this. The broadband line test is showing a potential fault towards the property but the voice line test is clear. Is there no dial tone at the test socket with 2 different handsets? If this has already been tested then please can you confirm acceptance of possible time related engineer charges and shall we book the first available visit AM (8-1) or PM(1-6) for you?

Thanks

0 Likes

AnybodyHome
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 31

Hello Debbie & Michelle,

The TT engineer visited today and found all the equipment inside the house are working fine.  He diagnosed the problem to be external and said that a BT Openreach engineer would have to fix the problem.  Currently we do not have a working broadband or phone since both randomly stop working.  As there is a vulnerable elderly person in the house could I please request an early visit from BT.

Cheers,

0 Likes

Message 27 of 31

Hi AnybodyHome

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know how you get on following the engineer visit.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 28 of 31

Hi Michelle ( and keith),

Thank you for the reply.  I've spoken with TT support on the phone and an engineer has been booked for next Thursday afternoon.  We had the same problem a couple of years ago and although an engineer was booked they never visited as the problem was found to be at the exchange and he was able to fix the issue there.  

Just to confirm all the internal equipment has been checked and I've also replaced the microfilter just in case.  As mentioned the performance degrades over the course of the day.  On Sunday after 6PM the broadband and phone were unusable.  However, after 10:30PM it all came back and broadband was working again.  Unfortunately this morning the broadband is pretty much down all the time.

Cheers,

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 29 of 31

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which has detected a potential fault towards the property. If all testing has been completed at the test socket with 2 different routers then the next step would be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. Would you like to go ahead with this?

Thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 30 of 31

That sounds like a line fault. I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. Please try to avoid posting on here until TalkTalk has responded to you, otherwise, this will just put you further down the queue.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes