cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Internet Connection Keeps Dropping

nickr
Team Player
Private Message
Message 43 of 43

Can anyone here help with a problem that I've been having recently with a dropping broadband connection. Over the last few days the connection has started to drop every few minutes, sometimes it lasts a bit longer, but it's off more than it's on just recently. I have run a TalkTalk Health Check and the report says there is a problem with my line. The router (DG8041W) is currently hard wired to my pc with an ethernet cable to eliminate a wifi problem, although I'm pretty sure it's not wifi because the white light on the router (DG8041W) goes red when the connection drops. Thanks in advance. Nick.

0 Likes
42 REPLIES 42

Message 21 of 43

Hi nickr,

How has it been since your last post?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 22 of 43

Just so you know, the support team here won't be back online again until Monday.

nickr
Team Player
Private Message
Message 23 of 43

My connection is almost completely unusable. I need this to be fixed please. Connection drops every few minutes and then struggles to re-connect. 

0 Likes

Message 24 of 43

Yes, same telephone number.👍

0 Likes

Message 25 of 43

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. Can I just confirm, is the telephone number in your Community Profile correct? Please do not post any personal information on the Community.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 26 of 43

@nickr,

You seem to have double posted this evening, if you check a couple of steps back.

Staff are not on here at night. I'll re-escalate this thread for them to pick it up in the morning. 

Incidentally, the switch off is best for a minimum of 30 minutes, not 20.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

nickr
Team Player
Private Message
Message 27 of 43

Hi all. I'm back.

Well, after a few months of almost trouble free internet, I'm sorry to report the problem is back. For the last few days connection has been dropping constantly. It doesn't stay connected for more than a few minutes at a time. I've tried the usual stuff switching the router off for 20 minutes to reset the connection, to no avail. The line test is showing a problem with my line. What do I need to do? Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

Message 28 of 43

Also, the speed tests are showing quite low download speeds. 10 Mbps

0 Likes

nickr
Team Player
Private Message
Message 29 of 43

Hi all. I'm back.

Well, after a few months of almost trouble free internet, I'm sorry to report the problem is back. For the last few days connection has been dropping constantly. It doesn't stay connected for more than a few minutes at a time. I've tried the usual stuff switching the router off for 20 minutes to reset the connection, to no avail. The line test is showing a problem with my line. What do I need to do next. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

Message 30 of 43

Morning,

Thanks for confirming. I've run a test on the line now which has detected a possible fault. The stability looks like it started to improve for 6 days, however I can see that the re-connections have increased again. Is the router still connected to the test socket at the moment please? Can I also just confirm if you've recently tested with a different router please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 31 of 43

Still dropping, but nowhere near as bad as before I connected to the test socket. It's been connected for 1 hour according to my TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub Dashboard, so it's obviously dropped while I've been out of the house today.

0 Likes

Message 32 of 43

Morning,

How has the stability been since your last post?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 33 of 43

Hi

OK, if it continues to drop then we may need to arrange an engineer.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

nickr
Team Player
Private Message
Message 34 of 43

Well...After what seemed to be a fix, it's started playing up again and the connection is dropping and struggling to re-connect. I'll report back again tomorrow, hopefully this was just a blip.☹️

0 Likes

Message 35 of 43

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 36 of 43

Thanks. Showing up for 15 hours, so it has probably dropped and reconnected, but nowhere near as bad as it was. Speeds are down slightly compared to what they used to be at 26.75 Mbps compared to 34 Mbps if I remember correctly. Thanks for your help, I'll check back in a few days and see what you all think. Nick. 👍

0 Likes

Message 37 of 43

Hi

connection does look stable, lets give it another 48hrs and see how it holds up.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

nickr
Team Player
Private Message
Message 38 of 43

Connection has been stable for approximately  20 hours wired to the test socket. Looking good! 👍

0 Likes

Message 39 of 43

Good morning,

Thank you for the update. We will re-check the connection stats again first thing in the morning to see how the stability compares now that the router is connected directly at the test socket and we will post back here with an update.

Thanks

nickr
Team Player
Private Message
Message 40 of 43

Now connected to the test socket with the faceplate removed. I'll report back if anything changes.

0 Likes