cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Just noticed a significant drop in BB speed 33 down to 28

jayesjay
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 14 of 14
I haven't checked BB speed for some time (many weeks), and I now find that it is running at about 28M.

I have been running at about 33M for some time now, and happy at that.

Why has the BB speed now dropped (again!); there has been no change in my home wiring runs or equipment.

There is no scope for improvement in wiring layout or equipment placement, it is, and has been, the best I can achieve.

For comparison, my BT BB speed is running at over 50M, no change, although I use TT normally for everything. I keep making this point - if BT can do it in the same wires, why is TT so unreliable 

Would turning off/wait/turning on the router help?

I am on Fibre to the Cabinet

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi jayesjay,

If your connection remains stable with a low error count, the line management system (DLM) should move you to a faster profile (it did increase your speed a bit on the 9th

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

@jayesjay wrote:

for a long time I was getting about 35M, and now, with magic! super! fibre, (Fibre65) I can get only about 28M.

It's possible that lines can deteriorate over time. It's also possible the DLM has taken action due to noise and/or errors  on the line, in which case it may improve again if the line remains stable.

@jayesjay wrote:

I'm sure that the 35M was with an all copper connection.

I think you are mistaken.

The theoretical maximum on an all copper (ADSL) connection is 24Mbps, and you would have to be living pretty close to the exchange to get anywhere near that.

0 Likes

jayesjay
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 3 of 14

Thank you for your prompt and most informative reply.

I now understand better why TT provide a lower BB speed to my house.

The fact remains, however, that for a long time I was getting about 35M, and now, with magic! super! fibre, (Fibre65) I can get only about 28M. It has gone backwards. I'm sure that the 35M was with an all copper connection.

No-one has yet addressed that point

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 14

@jayesjay ,

There can be all sorts of reasons why your BT line connects at a faster rate than the TalkTalk one.

For a start, BT use a Openreach DLM profile geared more towards speed, whereas TalkTalk use a standard profile geared more towards stability and therefore slower. Also, while the lines most likely follow the same path to the cabinet, they are still using different wires - The wires and connections on the BT line may be in better condition than the ones used for your TalkTalk line, and wiring can deteriorate over time which may affect the connection speed. They will also likely be in a large bundle of wires from many houses in the area going to the cabinet - Depending on the exact position in the wiring bundle they may be subject to different levels of crosstalk etc. which could affect the achievable speed.

TalkTalk's advertising of the packages mentions an average speed but it is just marketing nonsense. They can only give you an actual estimated speed and guaranteed minimum when you go to sign up, after checking what your line is estimated to handle. The theoretical maximum download sync speed on the Fibre65 package is 80Mbps, but you'll only get that if you live extremely close to the cabinet.

The theoretical maximum on an all copper ASDL service is 24Mbps, but again you would probably have to live next door to the exchange to get that.

All TalkTalk Fibre65 FTTC services include the ability to use a landline phone. Whether you actually use a phone or not, or what phone features and/or boosts you choose is up to you - None of that affects your broadband speed.

The unlimited calls boost is a good thing if you use the phone a lot, and TalkTalk Loyalty Team quite frequently give it at discounted rates (or even free) when negotiating a package renewal. You mention that you only have the 700 minutes per month calls package with BT - I assume you are aware that BT do offer an unlimited version as well, but obviously more expensive than the 700 minutes one.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Hi 

We do send the survey now to all customers and only ask that you answer honestly. If your answers are negative, thats ok, as long as they are a true opinion. 

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

jayesjay
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 6 of 14

BTW, I have been sent a survey request. Would I recommend TT to others. Clearly not, sadly.

0 Likes

jayesjay
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 7 of 14

While I expect there is nothing you can do about it, I really must complain about the slow BB speed I am now getting. Despite the difficulty of navigating through the website, I managed to find the quoted availability of BB speeds depending on package.  I was not aware of the distinction between availability depending on whether one has landline or not.  Without, from memory, on Fibre 65, about 60M, with, about 30M. This is amazing, I was never told about this. On this basis, I realise that the 35 M I used to enjoy over a long period has evaporated. 

Why, oh why, does TT advertise 60M speeds when it will only provide less than 30?

Today  it was 27, bursting to 28, and I find that if you reduce it to 25, or less, I haven't taken a note, I will have to be satisfied. That, I am not. 

I noticed another poster who complained that he was getting 25, when he used to get 35. There has been a continual dripping away of BB speed over the many years I have been paying TT.

Frankly, I only keep TT because (1) I use a TT email address, and (2) TT landline does give effectively unlimited telephone time for the boost payment (BT gives only 700 minutes a month).

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Morning,

We will check back in with you in a few days to see how the speed compares following the 30 minute router power down.

Thanks

0 Likes

jayesjay
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 9 of 14

OK, I now understand the speeds are set by Openreach, but I get my BT BB, which I use only infrequently, at over 50 M. Weird, isn't it? (I remind you that I have two land lines , but with identical paths and distances.) I have  a BT router on my BT line, and, as I said , I consistently get >50M BB on that.

I found a website which says that the max speed for Fibre 65 was up in the 50's, I can't remember exactly what.

Actually, now I have just gone to a website you recommended to another poster, 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/

It gave over 60M for VDSL lines, and while I understand that it actually can be significantly lower depending on the line, I think 31 M is pitifully slow for a part fibre path when I get 50+ on the BT line.

. And again, when I first had my Fibre 65 contract, I was getting something like 33 M.

Thanks anyway for whatever help you have managed to give me.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Hi

You can turn of the router for 30 minutes to clear the session and then see if DLM will raise the profile speed over the next couple of days.  The estimate for your line is supplied by Openreach based on the line itself, condition, distance etc at the time of installation.  If the speeds fall below estimated then we can report this as a fault, whilst the speeds remain within the estimated level, they will reject ant fault report related to a speed issue.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

jayesjay
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 11 of 14

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I must ask - why is the estimated speed so low.  You state a maximum of 31 M, but at one time, I was getting some 36 M consistently. and although I can't be sure, it may have been before FTC , on copper all the way.  For some time, until when I don't know, I was getting about 32/33 M, I believe.
I will have to look it up, but I think my most recent contract  specified higher than 31 M max.

I will post this while look it up.

BTW, does this mean I won't get any improvement if I temporarily turn off my router?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 14

Hi

The estimated speed of your line is 28-31mb, and your line is in sync at 30mb, so the line is performing as it should.  Overall speed on FTTC is determined by the distance to your local cabinet.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

jayesjay
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 13 of 14

BTW, are you aware/can you tell what account or landline I have, if you wanted to do anything about the problem?

0 Likes