cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

My broad band speed has dropped off AGAIN.

maxthegold
Team Player
Private Message
Message 31 of 31

My broadband speed has dropped off again. I think this is the third time I have had this problem. It has reached the point where I am also getting dropouts, this is extremely annoying. I will post the screen grab of my monitoring so that you can see the drop. Why does this keep happening and more to the point how do I stop it?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx.
0 Likes
30 REPLIES 30

Message 1 of 31

Hi maxthegold

Thanks for your reply.

You shouldn't need to keep powering down the router (for 30 minutes) to increase the throughput speed.

If you do experience this issue again then please let us know on this thread.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 31

I did that and my speed seems to be holding steady at about 55Mbps which is what it normall is, thanks. I think I may have asked this before but do we know what is causing this and what can we do to stop it happening again.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 31

Hi,

Thanks for confirming. Your speed test result does look a little low based upon the current sync speed. Could you try one more 30 minute router power down please and then run another wired speed test please so we can see your results.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 31

I am using ethernet connections for most of my use and for the monitoring. My previous speeds were around the mid 50's about 55-57Mbps.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 31

Morning,

The sync speed looks consistent for the last 5 days. Are you running the speed tests wired or wireless? What speeds were you previously seeing please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 31

I am still getting similar speeds, DLM hasn't increased my speed yet. I am getting an average of 46.6Mbps and a maximum of 52.3Mbps over the last 7 days.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 31

Hi maxthegold,

How are you getting on?

Chris

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 31

DLM = Dynamic Line Management. In brief, it is an automated system operated by Openreach that checks for issues on the line and if there are problems it is likely to decrease speeds in an attempt to compensate. If the line is seen to be clear then it will continue to check and should gradually increase the speed to the maximum available. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 31

Yes I am still connected to the test socket. What, by the way is DLM?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 31

Morning,

Thanks for trying this and I'm glad to hear that the throughput speed has increased. It's possible that DLM will continue to increase the speed if the connection continues to remain stable. Is the router still connected to the test socket at the moment?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 31

I shut it all down overnight and now I am getting around 48mbps. Thanks for that, a huge improvement. It is still however nowhere near the 67mbps I am paying for, or even the 53mbps which I believe is the contracted minimum.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 31

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. If the sync speed increases but the throughput is still low then we advise trying powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then re-testing again as this will reset the current session and can often increase the throughput speed.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 13 of 31

No, I'm firmly stuck at 30mbps.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 31

Hi maxthegold,

Line test is now showing a sync speed of 51.3Mbps, have you noticed an improvement?

Chris

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 31

All the above checks were to help diagnose the problem for them to send the right sort of engineer for the job, @maxthegold.

They will need you to agree to potential charges:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Engineer-charges/ta-p/2207291

Sometimes this is done via PM from staff as they also need to make security checks etc.

They will check with you first that it will be a convenient time for you, because you might well have to be at home to let the engineer in.

So a bit of a way to go with this yet, I'm afraid, but staff will be back on here during the day to follow up. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 16 of 31

What happened to the engineer, I have not heard any more about this. I was expecting a visit to be arranged.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 31

I have done that. There is no noticable noise and there is no improvement in speed. I am stuck at around 30mbps now and I have been since the 10th of this month.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 31

Yes I am connected to the test socket using the TalkTalk supplied filter.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 31

Hello,

Thanks for confirming that the noise is no longer present at the test socket. Can I just confirm, is the microfilter, router and phone all connected at the test socket at the moment?

Thanks

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 31

OK, sorry to prolong this, but can you now connect a plugin microfilter to the test socket along with the phone and router? Check for noise on the line again and see if there is any improvement in the broadband connection.

0 Likes