cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

My win 8.1 laptop sees router but will not connect to it

Eddie12345
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 25 of 25

Can anyone help me please? I have just changed from ee to TalkTalk however my laptop wont connect to the router. It sees the wifi but when I click to connect it doesn't prompt me for a password it just does nothing. My laptop connects to other routers fine but not this one. All other devices in the house can connect to my router except this laptop. I have tried updating the wifi drivers and still nothing can anyone help please?

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 21 of 25

Morning,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

Eddie12345
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 22 of 25

I haven't had a chance yet to look at it. I will try and work through those instructions later as I'm working 9-5. Typical as this is the time the tech support line is better. I tried the support last night but it's very basic stuff and they couldn't offer me much.

I will try as soon as I get home and see how I get on, will update here then. 

0 Likes

Message 23 of 25

Hi Eddie12345,

How are you getting on, have you tried Skynet_TX's suggestions?

Chris

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 24 of 25

Hi @Eddie12345,

One thing you could try to troubleshoot the issues is to split the SSID's on the router, this will allow you to give the 2.4GHz and 5GHz network bands different names, so your Wi-Fi devices will then see those two networks separately, you can then try connecting to one or the other to see if it will connect to either.

Are you getting a good Wi-Fi signal on the other devices (i.e. are you getting good speeds), as if the connection is poor that may indicate Wi-Fi interference, this could also potentially stop some devices from being able to reliably connect.

If Wi-Fi interference is a possibility you could try changing the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

The TalkTalk staff on this community may also be able to offer more advice, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile (only you and the TalkTalk staff on this community can see your profile details).