cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

New Router

Neilash
Team Player
Private Message
Message 23 of 23

I think my router is broken. To see if my assumption is correct could I have a replacement.

I cannot run a speed test via TalkTalk - all I get is "We run into a problem" message and everytime I run a connection test I Get the message "There's a problem with your Broadband connection".

Speeds are showing as 80mbps if you look at the router interface but at present on Speedtest I'm getting about 8MBPS download speed.

Neil Ashforth
0 Likes
22 REPLIES 22

Message 1 of 23

Hi Neilash

I'm glad to hear that the connection has improved.

In regards to the sky box, have you split the SSID's? My box currently connects on 2ghz.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 23

Hi Debbie - Sorry for the delay and the good news is the new router is performing well - not brilliant as I still have to login to the router for the sky box every night as the signal is too weak to reach the Living Room which is less than 10m away from the router.

Speed has stabilized and I'm not getting any "Fault" messages when I run a connection test and can now run a speed test too. 

Neil Ashforth

Message 3 of 23

Hi Neilash

How's the connection been over the weekend since the WIFI optimisation was switched off?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 23

Hi Neilash

I've switched the WIFI optimisation off, please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 23

Hi Debbie - If you could switch it off and I'll see how it goes over the next few days. I can always access the router settings myself and reset them.

Neil Ashforth

Message 6 of 23

Hi Neilash

Yes that's correct. Would you like me to switch this off for you today?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 23

OK so with Wifi optisimation On - I cannot choose which channel the router uses but with it off - I can set the router on Auto or choose a channel to stick too. 

So if that's the case then if you switch optisimation Off then I can pick myself which channel is best to use or leave it on Auto.

Neil Ashforth
0 Likes

Message 8 of 23

Hi Neilash,

Wifi optimisation is different to the routers automatic channel selection. With wifi optimisation switched off you can select a channel or auto channel select but with it switched on wifi optimisation overrides the router settings.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 23

Hi Debbie,

Yes turn off the Wifi optimisation. Could I just confirm that this is someone one can reverse by logging into the router settings and clicking it "Off" auto channel selection and choosing say Channel 6 or 11 instead.

Bit disappointing that the Wifi booster that I received from TalkTalk is struggling to receive the signal from literally the room below and has a central red light. Plus the TV / Sky box needs the code inputted everytime we switch it back on as the signal isn't strong enough to reach the TV.  

Neil Ashforth
0 Likes

Message 10 of 23

Hi Neilash

Would you like me to switch the WIFI optimisation off?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 23

Hi Neilash

Did you run the speed tests using a wired connection? Is this why the throughput speeds looked ok?

I can try switching the WIFI optimisation off so you can choose your own wireless channel, would you like to test that?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 23

Hi Debbie - Thanks for the reply. Glad to see you think everything is OK now but seem to ignore the second part, why is every single device showing it "Might be experiencing speed issues". 

It seems the TalkTalk Super router is perhaps as powerful as a 10 watt bulb. 

Going to try my own router to see if that improves the range or strength of the signal as even with a TalkTalk Wifi booster upstairs - that too is struggling to pick up and boost the signal from the router. There is no interference from electrical items yet the router signal cannot reach the living room TV less than86m away

Neil Ashforth
0 Likes

Message 13 of 23

Hi Neilash

Thanks for your reply.

I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 79.9mb and line tests are clear.

Your throughput speeds look ok too based upon the sync speed.

If the performance of the connection is working ok then I wouldn't worry too much about the message detected.

Please can you try running the test again in 7 days to see if you still receive the same message.

Thanks again.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 23

Hi Debbie - Received the new router on Wednesday and connected it using all new cables etc that night. Checked it on Thursday and speed was back up to Mid 70mbps. However found that if I run a connection test still get the message "We suspect an issue with your broadband" and got the usual "We've run into a problem" if I run a speed test via TalkTalk.

So this morning took off the master socket and plugged the broadband, via microfilter into the test socket. Tested again this morning and again tonight and still getting the "We suspect an issue with your broadband" message. However I can now run a speed check though it goes from loading to result in one. Also although the speed to router is 78mbps if you click the speed to devices it shows every single one "Might be experiencing speed issues" There are seven items connected to the Wifi, so not a  huge amount draining the Wifi.

So is the problem the signal strength?

Neil Ashforth
0 Likes

Message 15 of 23

Hi Neilash

Have you received the replacement router?

0 Likes

Message 16 of 23

Hi Neilash

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Message 17 of 23

Thanks for that Karl. 

Neil Ashforth

Message 18 of 23

Hi

OK, I've a router on the way to you, lets see if this behaves better.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 23

Karl updated my landline phone No.

Neil Ashforth
0 Likes

Message 20 of 23

Hi

Can you check the phone number on your 'Community Profile' is correct, as I'm showing a different account name.  Can you add your account number please.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes