cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Old Router

patgc
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 24

My router is a HUWAIE HUBBDG8041WN. I have had it for exactly 4years now.

I have never really taken much notice of my speeds but since having a new tv have taken to checking them as the streaming is not that good. Checking over the last month via My Connection it seems that the speed from outside to my router is pretty constant at 44/45mbps (Ihave Fibre65 package). but the speed inside from router to my computer varies enormously, sometimes as high as 32/33mbps sometimes as low as 10/12mbps. this can be over a period of just a few minutes. Its a wifi connection as I cant physically move my computer from the room its in so thats its accessible by cable. There is only a wall and a drop of about 2feet between router and computer.

Do you think a new router would help me ?

Pat Goldsmith-Carter
0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 24

You are very welcome, glad to hear it is all working now.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 24

Hi Chris & @KeithFrench  ,Booster arrived fine, been using it 2 days now and pleased to say, there is a vast improvement in the wifi to my desktop upstairs., Router is showing a steady 46mbps and Device is showing 45/46mbps quite steady with virtually no variation in speeds.

So thank you for your help, especially @KeithFrench  for persevering for me. Will keep all things crossed that it continues like this.

Pat Goldsmith-Carter
0 Likes

Message 3 of 24
0 Likes

Message 4 of 24

thank you, look forward to trying it out.

Pat Goldsmith-Carter
0 Likes

Message 5 of 24

Hi patgc,

I've ordered the booster now, it should be with you within a couple of working days

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 24

Hi Chris,

I did reply to your offer of a booster, but dont see it here and wonder if you received it as nothing has arrived

Pat Goldsmith-Carter
0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 24

Thanks Keith. @patgc, would you like me to send you a wifi booster?

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 24

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

This is purely a poor signal strength issue with this 5364, there is no interference at all. 

I think that this customer would benefit from a WiFi Booster (Sagemcom FAST 266).

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 24

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk thanks for that.

Hi @patgc 

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots to me in a PM (to protect your privacy), which I have requested in my guide. No photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed in, from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this puts the text out of focus. 

Keith

Message 10 of 24

Thanks @KeithFrench 

The WIFI optimisation has already been switched off.

Debbie

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 24

Hi @patgc 

Thanks for that, as you have the 5364, there is one more thing that I need to ask you, before being able to start trying to discover the cause & fix it.

Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom router? When this is enabled, as it is by default, it has the power to override any Wi-Fi configuration changes that I might suggest that you need to make. This will not help rectify this type of problem if Wi-Fi Optimisation is allowed to change my suggested settings. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

Keith

Message 12 of 24

Hi @KeithFrench 

Sorry I forgot to say, its a sagemcom wifi hub, I can see that patgc has provided this information on their last post.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes

patgc
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 24

GHi Keith,

The n ew router is a TTSCOMFAST5364 according to the paper with it.

On the router it is SAGEMCOMFAST 5364-3

Pat Goldsmith-Carter
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 24

Hi @patgc 

@Debbie-TalkTalk has asked me to help you with your WiFi issues. 

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 15 of 24

HI patgc

Thanks for your reply.

As we have sent a new router recently I'm wondering if the speed drop is linked to wireless interference.

@KeithFrench  Could you help please Keith?

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue.  Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.  If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 24

No, nothing is wired, 

Pat Goldsmith-Carter
0 Likes

Message 17 of 24

Hi patgc

Thanks for confirming this.

Are any devices connected wired or are they all wireless? I'm just trying to determine if this is a wireless only issue.

0 Likes

patgc
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 24

Thanks for your reply.

At 8.41 this morning on the new style checker router to devices said all 4 experiencing issues. Went onto Troubleshooting checker and speed was measuring 18.2 and 5.6 to devices. tried again 14.9 and 5

Turned router off, waited 20 secs and rebooted. On the old checker Speed immediastely measured 45.9 at 8.50am then 45.5 at 8.52.am.

At 8.55am tried the new checker again, all 4 experiencing issues, troubleshooter checker measured at 6.5 and 5, then 6 and 5..

So yes, on Reboot, speed is good but then drops dramatically.

Pat Goldsmith-Carter
0 Likes

Message 19 of 24

Hi patgc

I'm sorry to hear this.

If you reboot the router does the speed increase again?

0 Likes

Message 20 of 24

Hi again, New router received and set up last week. Speeds were def better at 1st but over the weekend and today wifi has dropped dramatically. On the new speed tester thing it keeps saying that my devices have a speed problem or even that I dont have any devices connected to the wifi. I have A smart tv, Sky Q box, a Huwaie phone and my desktop computer. At the time of testing, tv and sky box are off so only phone and desktop connected. Going on to the troubleshooter and getting the old speed test thing, my wifi speeds today have been down to 2.6, again on all tests speed to the router is 45/47mbps.

Mt router is connected to an old type standard BT box approx 12" away, with a new cable, new micro filter, new power lead. situated new to the landing window halfway up the stairs, with the computer in my office on the 1st floor approx 3ft above with a wall between and computer approx 1Ft away from wall.

Give me some ideas please, on the occasions I got 40mbps it was brilliant but 2.6mbps is dire.

Pat Goldsmith-Carter
0 Likes