Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Paying for Fast Broadband which is anything but fast

41 REPLIES 41
Ally28
Team Player

Because I'm a masochist, I decided to take Talk Talk up on their offer of broadband once a new line was connected to my  property. I am suffering from criminally low speeds of 0.6mbps download and 0.4mbps upload, which is slower than an ASDL line and constant cut offs. I can't even watch youtube videos. I opened up a fault ticket, and now there's a message stating that my help is needed to run further tests and to click on the Live chat option, but no-one is available.

Why am I having to pay to not have any internet?

ALISON SNAGG
ferguson
Community Star

I am sorry to hear this. If you would like the online support team to look into this for you make sure that your personal details including TalkTalk landline number are complete on your community profile here so that they can link your forum identity with your account and then wait for them to respond.

Community Team

Hi Ally28,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• TalkTalk Telephone number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Ally28
Team Player

Hello Michelle. I have updated my profile with the acct number and telephone number. The livechat team are sending me out a new router, but the problem isn't the router. I know this because I'm getting the same slow speeds with a completely new gaming router.

In addition, two other people living near me who have accounts with Talk talk are encountering the same issue. 

It's not a router issue and as such won't be resolved by having a brand new router.

Kind Regards

Alison 

ALISON SNAGG
Community Team

Hi Alison,

Thanks for updating your profile

Which router do you have connected at the moment?

How many telephone sockets do you have? What other devices do you have connected in addition to your router?

Does your master socket have a Test Socket?

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service such as noise on the line?

Chris

Ally28
Team Player

Hi Chris

In answer to your questions

1)I have a D-Link DSL-3782 model

2)I have one telephone socket NTE5c. I have the telephone connected via a Microfilter. The only two devices connected are the router itself and a telephone. In terms of actual devices, the only devices connected to the network are my PC and a tablet.

3)Don't know, there's only one socket. Am not sure what to look for.

4)No problems on the line, the phone works perfectly.

Thanks

ALISON SNAGG
Community Team

Hi Ally28,

Thanks for the update. In regards to a test socket, I've included a Help Article below.

Your guide to master sockets

Thanks

Ally28
Team Player

Hi

Having done the research the NTE5C does have a test socket.

Regards

ALISON SNAGG
Community Team

Hi

Excellent, if you can test with a filter directly at the test socket and see if the results are the same.

Thanks

Karl. 

Ally28
Team Player

Ok, so the microfilter is in the test socket. I've just run a speed test with Ookla and the results are as follows:

Ping 48ms

Download 0.07 mbps

Upload 0.17mbps

ALISON SNAGG
Community Team

Hi Ally28,

As you're now connected to the test socket I've restarted the optimisation process, can you bump the thread tomorrow and we'll see how you're getting on

Chris

Ally28
Team Player

Hi Chris Speed test results from Ookla:

Upload speed 0.54Mbps

Download speed 0.52Mbps

Ping 32ms

The results are better, but I hope you'll accept that 0.54Mbps is far far short of the advertised average speed for Fast Broadband. I'm not expecting 11Mbps speed but 3-4 would be nice?

One thing I have noticed is that all my previous speed tests were done in the evening, so I will do another one later on this evening to see if that's similar and will post the results, so we have a true like for like comparison.

Many Thanks

Ally28

ALISON SNAGG
Community Team

Hi Ally28

I've checked the connection stats and I can see that the SNR is varying and there are some errors on the line.

Is the router still at the test socket? Have you tested with a different router, cable and filter? I can then pass this fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

Ally28
Team Player

Hello Debbie

The router is in the test socket. It's a brand new router only two months old, so I don't think it's the issue. I've changed cables around and actually purchased a Netgear gaming router and encountered the same issue with slow speeds, whether it's on the test socket or master socket. I swapped over microfilters, as two came with the router pack. I'm picking up a new Talktalk router from the DHL depot on Saturday, but I don't expect it to change things, because the problem seems to lie between the exchange and the line to the house rather than internally.

The results as of this evening's Ookla speed test are

Ping 34ms

Download speed: 0.13Mbps
Upload Speed 0.44Mbps

The only good thing is that the ping is low, so it enables to have some kind of internet access, but I can't say watch any streamed content because the constant buffering makes it impossible.

Kind Regards

Ally28

ALISON SNAGG
Community Team

Hi Ally28,

I've passed this over to our network team for further investigation. If you don't hear anything over the weekend can you bump the thread on Monday and we'll check for updates

Chris

Ally28
Team Player
Hi Chris I'm bumping the thread to see if there are any updates. Kind Regards Ally28
ALISON SNAGG
Community Team

Hi Ally28

I'm chasing this up with our network team, I'll let you know when I receive an update

Chris

Ally28
Team Player
Thanks Chris I did get a missed call from Talk Talk yesterday but was unable to answer in time and no voicemail message was left. Kind Regards Ally28
ALISON SNAGG
Community Team

OK thanks for letting me know, I'll let you know when I have any further information from our network team

Chris

Ally28
Team Player

Hello

Is there any way someone can chase for an update, as I suspect the Network team would happily kick this into the long grass for the next 10 years if they had a chance. I've had some more missed calls from Talk Talk, so it would appear someone wants to discuss something with me, but as no messages have been left or emails sent to me, I'm at a loss as to understand what it is.

Kind Regards

Ally28

ALISON SNAGG