cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Poor signal strength. Need to move router. Need a 15 metre broadband cable.

Jamie67
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 13

Hello. I have the router positioned at one end of my bungalow and struggle for sufficient signal strength at the other end where I would normally be using my laptop. My logic tells me to position my router in the middle of the property to provide a better all round signal strength. To achieve this I would need a good quality 15 metre broadband cable. Would this method solve my problem & would TalkTalk send me the cable previously mentioned? 

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 13

Fair enough, I am very busy anyway today.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 2 of 13

Hello @KeithFrench ,

To be honest I struggled to complete the instructions within the guide. Very basic computer skills being my problem. Downloaded the scanner & registered it but then encountered problems thereafter. I`m going to purchase 2 x 15 metre cables. 1 x broadband to move my router to more of a central location within the property & 1 ethernet to connect the TV to the router. Fingers crossed for positive results. Thanks very much for your offers of help.

Jamie

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 13

Hi @Jamie67 

Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you. I will send a PM to you that contains a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference. It is quite long (about 30 pages), but you will probably only need to look at three or four pages in total. Initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This is the first link in the table of contents. This section includes full details of free Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Select the analyser of your choice & my guide explains how to use it.

If you are using Wi-Fi Scanner, then please attach the zip file to this thread. As soon as I have downloaded it, I will remove the attachment from your post, to preserve your privacy.

With all other analysers, please follow my instructions below.

Collect the screenshots that I require and include them in your reply.

Please post the screenshots to me in a PM (to protect your privacy), which I have requested in my guide. No photos please as they can be difficult to read, because the text can get out of focus when zoomed in. Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Jamie67
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 13

Hello @KeithFrench  . I would definitely like your help/advice with the situation described in the initial post. Thanks. Jamie

Message 5 of 13

@Jamie67, always reply on here.

If you reply to a notification email, nobody will receive the message  - it is a NO REPLY  email address. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 6 of 13

Hi @Jamie67 

I would take Keith up on his offer to help.  He has a wealth of Wi-Fi knowledge that exceeds our own, and working alongside Keith for a number of years now, we do listen to any recommendations Keith will make.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 13

Hi @Jamie67 

I don't mind which, but you still haven't said if you want my help or not. I will assume not unless you say otherwise.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

Hello. Had replied yesterday but I`m not sure if my reply was done correctly. My router is a SAGEMCOM - FAST5364. Also my signal strength should be sufficient for the whole property as I only live in a small bungalow. Just one level. Thanks.

Kind regards,

Jamie

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 13

Hi @Jamie67 

I am waiting to find out if you want the help I offered you yesterday.

Keith

0 Likes

Jamie67
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 13

Hello. I replied to a couple of questions yesterday regarding my post. Was wondering what is going to happen next as I haven`t received a reply as yet?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 13

Hi @Jamie67 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help you. When I know which make/model of router you have, then I will be able to help you. It is nearly impossible to predict how good coverage you will get like that, although it would be a better location. The problem is, how big an area are you trying to cover with the router & what levels of WiFi interference do you have in your property. I would suggest that should be the starting point.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers a lot more from interference than the much faster 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Once I have analysed your diagnostic information, I can make a recommendation for the best way forward.

Keith

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 12 of 13

Good morning,

Which router are you currently using please? (make and model)

@KeithFrench - would you also be able to offer some advice please?

Thanks

Michelle