cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Router webpage does not recognise router name or passwod

mackerel
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 158 of 158

I have been having recurring wifi and internet outages. I have tried to access the router, but the webpage rejects the name I had changed it to and the original name.  I am using the router password - not the wifi password.  I have just reset the router but no change.

Also, when wifi works, I can connect to an extender successfully, but NOT the router itself.

0 Likes
157 REPLIES 157

Message 81 of 158

Chris

I'm now confused.  Keith suggests another router, and you suggest an engineer.  Which way do we go?

I will accept charges once they are agreed.  I am available generally all day.

0 Likes

Message 82 of 158

Keith

Thanks for your help

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 83 of 158

Hi @mackerel 

Thanks for confirming it, to me the problem would sound like another faulty router as it is affecting everything and you see more disconnections than TalkTalk does. However, I have no choice but to leave you in the very capable hands of @Chris-TalkTalk 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 84 of 158

OK thanks. I think we've exhausted everything that we can so if you'd like to go ahead with the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.
  • Confirm your mobile number (can you add this to your community profile)

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 85 of 158

Keith

Phones, tablet and computers are wireless, TV is wired.  Last night catch up TV stopped and there were outages at (I think) the same time on wireless items.

0 Likes

Message 86 of 158

Chris - it is the correct number

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 87 of 158

Hi @mackerel 

I haven't been following your case very much for a while & the thread is very long. There seems to have been numerous problems. You've had the router replaced after I recommended that.

If you are seeing more outages than TalkTalk is, that suggests that the router is remaining connected to the internet OK at these other times. With the router having been replaced, I would think the problems might be down to the connection between your devices & the router. I may have asked you before, sorry I can't remember & I have no intention of reading all of the 70 replies, when you get the problem, is it affecting only wireless connections or wired (Ethernet) ones as well?

TalkTalk is not really responsible for the connections between the device & router, but this is an area where I can offer a lot of help.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 88 of 158

Sorry, no I can't explain what is happening, from our side your connection looks relatively stable with a very good connection speed and low error count. Could you dial 17070 from your landline and confirm that the number read back to you is your number (just want to make sure that you've not got a crossed line)

Chris

0 Likes

Message 89 of 158

Further to my reply a few minutes ago, it is taking for ever for pages to refresh on Chrome.  BBC weather just wouldn't refresh as it said it took too long.

Can you explain what is happening?

0 Likes

Message 90 of 158

Yes - definitely more than those.  Can you explain why it is dropping out?  It happens a number of times every day, generally.  Sometimes outage is brief, other times not.

0 Likes

Message 91 of 158

Thanks for checking. Line history is showing a reconnection at 20:10 yesterday, the one before was at 16:53 on the 18th. Does this match your experience or do you feel that the connection is dropping more often than this?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 92 of 158

A bout of internet dropping out around 19.30 tonight.  It's still not reliable enough........ and, no, I didn't see any dim lights

0 Likes

Message 93 of 158

Still working OK.  What have you done to stabilise things?

0 Likes

Message 94 of 158

Hi Mackerel,

How has it been since your last post?

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 95 of 158

Apology accepted @mackerel 

Keith

0 Likes

Message 96 of 158

Keith

I apologise if I sound ungrateful - I'm not.  I appreciate your help.  But I still think my previous comment about Talktalk doing this type of monitoring is correct.  I guess the difference between us, as customers, is that you have an interest and skill in this area, whereas I just want to sit down and not worry about my internet connection.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 97 of 158

Hi @mackerel 

I appreciate that, but look at it from my point of view. I am just a customer as well, giving my time for free, trying to help you. My suggestion saves you from having to look at the light when the problem occurs. Plus, you don't have to even try to interrogate the log, as I have offered to do it for you.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 98 of 158

Keith

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm only the customer.  If this is a worthwhile thing to do, I would hope/expect Talktalk support engineers to be all over this in their quest for a solution.  I just want the seamless service I thought I was paying for.  I cannot believe how much time I (the paying customer)  have spent on this, especially the intense periods of frustration when there is no/intermittent internet connection.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 99 of 158

Hi @mackerel 

Why not look at the system log for the time period when you have had issues:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub > Maintenance > Logs

If you do not know how to interpret it, I can do it for you.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 100 of 158

Perhaps I should have included a sarcastic smiley in my last note, but I couldn't find one.

0 Likes