cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Router webpage does not recognise router name or passwod

mackerel
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 158 of 158

I have been having recurring wifi and internet outages. I have tried to access the router, but the webpage rejects the name I had changed it to and the original name.  I am using the router password - not the wifi password.  I have just reset the router but no change.

Also, when wifi works, I can connect to an extender successfully, but NOT the router itself.

0 Likes
157 REPLIES 157

Message 61 of 158

Yes - AM please

0 Likes

Message 62 of 158

I'm sorry, we only provide support via the Community. Would you like me to book the first appointment available? Do you have a preference for AM or PM?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 63 of 158

Yes - please ring to arrange

0 Likes

Message 64 of 158

Are you available all next week, AM and PM - we should be able to get an appointment for Monday or Tuesday?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 65 of 158

Chris

I'm paying for no disconnections, so something's wrong.  Your reply is obviously a snapshot in time.  I'm living with the reality of erratic and unreliable internet service.  Currently the speed is incredibly slow - just to try to log on to this page takes up to a minute.  Facebook and BBC sometimes won't refresh at all as it takes too long.  I'm using the laptop with wifi for this, but the other computer can't get any wifi.  "wifi doesn't have valid IP address " has apparently just been solved, but there is still no connection.  A few minutes ago it couldn't solve that.  I never had ANY of this with my previous service provider, so please don't say it's my computer at fault.

I have answered your questions about engineer visits already.  Please phone for an appointment.

0 Likes

Message 66 of 158

Hi mackerel,

There are two reconnections showing in the last few days, one on the 27th and 16:54 and another on the 28th at 19:25

The connection looks fine pretty stable and sync speed looks good from our end but if you'd like us to go ahead with the engineer visit could you let me know when you can be available for the visit and please note that engineer charges may apply as explained here -  Engineers charges

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 67 of 158

Chris

An update.  After the new router working OK for a few days, I'm having multiple failures.  This is with wired and wifi on laptop, ipad, and iphone.  I've been trying to get enough connection for 2 days to try to contact you.  Wifi connects for a few seconds and then goes off, comes back, and goes off.  I have been next to one of my extenders when the lights go out and then come back on again.

This has gone on long enough.  Please arrange for an engineer to come out as soon as possible.  You have my answers already to the questions you will ask.  Also, please make the appointment by telephone as the internet connection is too unstable.

Finally, don't ask me to fiddle about with Talktalk equipment.  I've had enough.

0 Likes

Message 68 of 158

OK thanks. The only reconnection showing since the one on the 20th is one yesterday 22/02/2024 14:38, was this when you installed the new router?

The 'disconnected on SSID' is showing a device connected by wifi to the router has been disconnected.

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 69 of 158

Not really, the DNS ones are just a bug in the way that the log is classified. The device getting disconnected can be perfectly normal for all sorts of reason. I would only be concerned if all devices including the wired ones showed that.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 70 of 158

Chris

OK - so the messages I'm getting from the new router (I should have said that I installed it yesterday - sorry) do indicate a continuing fault?

0 Likes

Message 71 of 158

Hi mackerel,

If all your devices, wired and wireless, are dropping at the same time but the internet connection isn't dropping then this could indicate a fault with the router so hopefully the new router will resolve the problem

Chris

0 Likes

Message 72 of 158

Chris

I'm not sure what that means, nor what I should do about it.  On Keith's suggestion I have looked at the logs and there are repeated messages of "Device <D6:67:90:51:04:33> was disconnected on SSID (Device/WiFi/SSIDs/SSID[WL_PRIV])", and hundreds of  "DNS name resolution failure (_autodiscover._tcp.outlook.com)".  I have re-booted the computersDoes this indicate anything?

If the problem is between the router and device (as you suggest) then why does it happen to all devices, wired and wifi?  Yesterday the iphone lost wifi and that is usually the most stable.  In fact the dashboard doesn't list the iphone as being connected at the moment although it definitely is.

0 Likes

Message 73 of 158

It could be the connection between the router and device  that failed rather than the internet connection

Chris

0 Likes

Message 74 of 158

That's a bit strange, as I had a message on my facebook page to say my internet connection has been restored (since my last note)

0 Likes

Message 75 of 158

OK, thanks for the update. I've checked the line history and authentication logs and not showing any reconnections since the one at 20/02/2024 20:10

Hopefully you'll receive the new router either today or tomorrow and we'll see if that resolves the problem

Chris

0 Likes

Message 76 of 158

and again just now (16.10).

mackerel_0-1708531929567.png

0 Likes

Message 77 of 158

Chris

Thanks.  More outages this afternoon around 15.30 both wired and wifi

0 Likes

Message 78 of 158

OK, I'll send another router. I'll order it now, it should be with you within a couple of days

Chris

0 Likes

Message 79 of 158

Chris

I am using a replacement sent a few weeks ago.  I did have to reset it when it misbehaved.  My dashboard has said I'm not connected when I am, and vice versa, so it doesn't seem right.

0 Likes

Message 80 of 158

Have you tried two different routers and had the same issue with both?

Chris

0 Likes