cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

TP LINK ROUTER

Rnclapp
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 17

Struggling to get TalkTalk tech support to help me connect my Archer VX1800V modem router to their ADSL service. I had working internet with my SAGECOM FAST router but wanted somethin more modern (sic)

Anyone managed it and if so what settings worked.  

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Hi

Glad you got this connected 🙂

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

Karl, And others.

I am typing this on the internet using my new TP Link Router.

Thanks to your helpful comment that Talk Talk do not use MAC binding, this made me try one last ditch thing to get it working.

I was under the FALSE assumption that since I do not have a full fibre system (FTTP) that I was still using ADSL.  Once I googled that FTTC uses VDSL and once I had added the correct settings from the Fibre broadband setting on the Talk Talk webpage you linked I was up and running in seconds.

If I could add one comment in mitigation of my stupidity, it would be helpful to include FTTC/FTTP on the talk talk settings page 🙂 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

Hi

Don't forget, your connection is FTTC so the settings should be for that, so MTU 1500 etc.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

Thanks Karl. That is the first helpful post I have read. 
sadly it does require a username (but not password). 
i tried 01warehouse and myphone@talktalk.net with or without 12345678.

All other setting per link 0,38, 1432 etc.

on a diagnostic test I get 

test xDSL sync PASS

test WAN connection FAIL

I can see the bit stream but have not been allocated a public IP address

0 Likes

Message 5 of 17

Hi

There are so many models of router available that it would be impracticable to offer support for all different models and as these constantly change or newer models appear, training would never be able to keep up with all the changes.  

As an ISP, TalkTalk provides an internet connection and supplies a supported router to receive this.  Whilst we do not stop customers from using their own equipment, our staff cannot offer support for the many routers that are available and are only trained to support TalkTalk supplied equipment. 

There is no MAC binding in effect or anything else that will purposely block the use of third party routers.

I myself use an Asus router and as TalkTalk use network authentication on FTTC/FTTP, no username or password is required at the router.  My router allowed me to follow the setup wizard and select an option for 'my ISP does not require a username or password'.   If a router would not offer this option and was expecting a username, then you can use 01warehouse as the username and for the password use 12345678.

Other settings can be found here : https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Set-up-a-non-TalkTalk-router/ta-p/2205383

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 6 of 17

An ISP is there to provide an internet SERVICE which I pay for.

we can agree to disagree what kevel of service they should/could provide for the  price.

maybe my  level of expectation is different to yours.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

Really? TalkTalk are an ISP, not a network administrator. I don't see that as an issue at all. 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 17

No still not wirking.

personally think there is MAC binding at their end but tech support didn’t have a clue what  I was talking about.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

@Rnclapp did you manage to get the router working in the end?

As others have said it is not feasible that TalkTalk know how to connect to all third party routers. Connections values are given for most routers to connect.

We have recently seen customers who cannot access the routers set up to change values. What would you suggest TalkTalk do in those circumstances?

We have see customers who purchased modems, not routers, what then?

TalkTalk can access their own routers to configure if necessary. They cannot do so with customers routers as they could cause issues, which is one reason and secondly probably can't even remote into the settings due to privacy concerns.

Others have found solutions by using forums dedicated to their make of router.

I hope you are either now connected, or find a solution.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Message 10 of 17

We agree to differ.

I did follow the basics.  I am technically competent.  I just needed someone technically competent in tech support to not just follow their script.  

I requested help from anyone who was able to make it work (see my OP).  I don't need people asking me whether I can read.

If you cannot buy an off the shelf (OTS) Modem/Router and plug in the values that the Talk Talk help page (linked in this thread) provides then they should not provide those values at all.  If they do provide them then they should offer a modicum of support.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 17

They are not restricting use of third party routers at all, @Rnclapp.

They simply can't offer advice and support or monitor software etc for every device that's out there, so follow the basics  that are provided.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

I think it does 

Fibre ...FTTP

Non Fibre...FTTC

0 Likes

Message 13 of 17

Well they should:

he legal basis for “router freedom” in the EU/UK

The legal basis for router / modem freedom comes from Regulation 2015/2120 

Recital 5 sets out the principle:

When accessing the internet, end-users should be free to choose between various types of terminal equipment as defined in Commission Directive 2008/63/EC. Providers of internet access services should not impose restrictions on the use of terminal equipment connecting to the network in addition to those imposed by manufacturers or distributors of terminal equipment in accordance with Union law.

Regulation 3 sets out the EU-level rule:

(1) End-users shall have the right to … use terminal equipment of their choice … via their internet access service.

(2) Agreements between providers of internet access services and end-users on commercial and technical conditions and the characteristics of internet access services … shall not limit the exercise of the rights of end-users laid down in paragraph 1.

(3) Providers of internet access services shall treat all traffic equally, when providing internet access services, without discrimination, restriction or interference, and irrespective of … the terminal equipment used.

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 17

Hi, @fr8ys 

That page contains some information on 'Fibre Broadband settings'

But it doesn't split that information into FTTC connections and FTTP connections.

I would assume different settings would apply to each type.

It would be an idea, if TalkTalk revised that info, for Full Fibre connections.

Thanks

Bill

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 17

Try this help page.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Set-up-a-non-TalkTalk-router/ta-p/2205383

As @ferguson says, TalkTalk do not support or offer advice on TP routers.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 17

You will have to rely on other members to share, TalkTalk cannot directly support third-party routers.

That said, there are some help pages available and many others who have used TP Link devices previously. Have a search. 

0 Likes