cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

VPN CONNECTION ISSUE ( Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) protocol packets error)

BD-IT
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 10 of 10

As of Wednesday 6th April 2022 my VPN connection to my workplace has become broken.  I can connect to a wireless android hotspot (via my work phone) and it connects absolutely fine so it is not my laptop or VPN config.  I have tried factory resetting my router to no avail.  The message I started to get:

The VPN connection between your computer and the VPN server could not be completed. The most common cause for this failure is that at least internet device (for example, a firewall or a router) between your computer and the VPN server is not configured to allow Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) protocol packets. If the problem persists, contact your network administrator or Internet Service Provider."

Hardware Version (Router): FAST5364 3.00
Software Version: SG4K100136

I have been using this VPN throughout the pandemic without issue nothing has changed as proven by the successful connection via 4g network, has Talk Talk changed something?  How can I get this back on track and working?

I've also provided another link to another member having the exact same issue which @Debbie-TalkTalk has mentioned this was caused by a firmware update issue

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/VPN-connection-issue/td-p/2872768

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Hi

If you start your own thread (new message), we’d love to help.

We’ve found that posting in someone else’s conversation makes it harder to follow when looking for an answer.

It’s easier and quicker if we can chat with you in a single thread, if you start your own thread, that will keep our community organised and help others with a similar problem.

Check your home phone number or account number are also added to your Community Profile as that will really help us to find your details quicker.

Thanks

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Chrizzy_81
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 2 of 10

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk I am having the same issues described in this thread and cannot access my work VPN, can you help?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

Hi BD-IT

I'm so glad to hear that this is working ok 🙂

This issue is not affecting all VPN clients but this issue should be fully fixed in the next FW update.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 4 of 10

Thank you @Debbie-TalkTalk  seems to have fixed the issue
Wish the phone technical team were as helpful as you are

Thanks for completing.

Message 5 of 10

Hi BD-IT

Thanks for your reply.

Your router firmware has now been updated, please can you retest and let us know how you get on?

Debbie

BD-IT
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 6 of 10

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

Happy for you to commence the firmware update now

Please let me know once complete so I can retry connecting to the VPN

Message 7 of 10

Hi BD-IT

Thanks for your reply.

Your router firmware has now been updated, please can you retest and let us know how you get on?

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 10

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

Please commence the firmware update now

Thank you

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 9 of 10

Hi BD-IT

Thank you for creating a new topic.

I will need to make a change to your router firmware.

Will it be ok if I do this now? We advise to leave the router switched on without being rebooted whilst the FW is being updated (the update takes no more than 15 minutes)

Thanks

Debbie