cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

VPN connectivity issues

themoodys1
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 16 of 16

After never having had an issue, my computer is no longer able to connect to my work VPN. It is crucial for me to access the VPN to be able to do any work at all! Any support would be appreciated

Edited to add I am having the exact same issues as VPN connection stopped working - TalkTalk Help & Support and this issue started on Wednesday. I also have the Sagemcom wifi hub.

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Hi themoodys1

That's great news, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

Hi Debbie, 

The new router has arrived and the VPN is now working! Thanks so much for your help!

Message 3 of 16

Hi themoodys1

Thanks for your reply.

The Huawei hub is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 4 of 16

Morning Debbie, 

yes please, that would be great! Thank you. 

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 16

Hi themoodys1

Sorry for the delay.

I will need to send a Huawei WIFI hub for testing. Are you happy for me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

Thanks ever so much, I really appreciate the help from everyone on here! It was like I was talking a foreign language when I contacted the support team via chat, this has been far more helpful!!

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 7 of 16

Ok, so maybe it would have never worked over 4G, so if you have installed that Windows Update then the router itself is the most likely cause, as @fr8ys says, the staff here should be able to help with that when they return tomorrow.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

No, it doesn't work over 4G even after the update. I've never attempted to connect to the VPN using 4G before, no, so no idea if it would ever have worked to be honest!

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 9 of 16

So does it still not work over a 4G connection, even with the Windows Update installed ?

Have you been able to successfully connect to the VPN over 4G before, or is this the first time you have tried it on 4G ?

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 16

Thanks for confirming.

Support staff may be able to solve by tweaking your router settings remotely or offer to sent a different model, so hold fire and they will get round to you early next week.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

themoodys1
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 11 of 16

Scrap that, I managed to download the Window's update but alas, still no connection. I'm stumped! I've googled and there's stuff around firewalls but I don't have administrator access to fiddle with those. Maybe it's just the world telling me not to work on my days off...

0 Likes

Message 12 of 16

Thanks for this. I tested it out and as @Skynet_TX mentioned, it doesn't work when I connect it to my phone's 4G so it does sound like it's the Patch Tuesday update. Unfortunately I'm not overly tech savvy and also have no admin controls over my laptop (us teachers aren't trusted to do things on our work laptops!) so will let the school tech team know and ask them to install the additional update. Thanks so much for your help!

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 13 of 16

Good point @fr8ys, if the VPN connectivity is broken regardless of how you connect your computer to the internet (i.e. it is broken over your TalkTalk connection, and also broken if you connect using 4G), then it could well be the problem caused by that dodgy Windows Update.

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 16

Hi,

@KeithFrench gave this advice on another thread. Might be worth doing the suggested updates.

If you have Windows 10/11 & use the internal Windows VPN client, they were broken in the last Patch Tuesday update. To remedy this you must install the following optional update:-

Windows 10 KB5010793

Windows 11 KB5010795 

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 15 of 16

Hi @themoodys1,

If you browse to http://192.168.1.1/ does the 'version' towards the bottom of the screen say SG4K100130 ?

What VPN are you using, is it the built in Windows 10/11 VPN ?

If the answers to the above are 'yes' then this issue may well have been caused by your router upgrading to that new firmware version, it seems to be causing problems for some customers with VPN connectivity.

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help. They may be able to change some settings on your router, but if not they will be able to arrange a replacement router of a different type.