cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

What is the minimum guaranteed speed for Fibre 65?

Qwghlm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 69 of 69

I normally get around the 45Mbps from my Fibre 65, recently I have had a lot of problems with intermittent broadband connection, which is normally sorted out by Openreach using new wires to to local junction box.

The last time was about two weeks ago and it was back up to a consistent 45Mbps.

I have just tried to stream a video and it stated not enough speed.

Checking on the PC it's down to 22Mbps, this is normally a precursor of the same old intermittent connection problem yet again, (about 10 in the last 2 years).

What is the minimum guaranteed speed, because when I run a speed test it tells me I'm getting 24Mbps with a guaranteed minimum of 17Mbps?

This cannot be correct that the minimum is 17Mbps when I am paying for a service that states 65Mbps.

0 Likes
68 REPLIES 68

Message 41 of 69

Hi Qwghlm

You can call our Customer Loyalty Team during Business hours on 03451720046.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 42 of 69

And how do I do that?

0 Likes

Message 43 of 69

Hi Qwghlm

Please can you contact our Loyalty Team, they can discuss this with you.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Qwghlm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 44 of 69

Just found a chat transcript when I was asking what was available (Wed, 14 Aug 2019 12:14:04 +0100 GMT)

"Sandile: If you’d like I can ask you a few questions to recommend the best TalkTalk products and services for you?"

"

Sandile: The details are as follows.

Sandile: Faster Fibre and the Fibre Speed Boost at £26 a month for an average of 67 Mb for 18 months. After 18 months at £41 a month with the option of renewing to another promotion.

Includes line rental and the Wi-Fi hub.

Unlimited UK Call Boost -The Unlimited UK Calls Boost is inclusive of calls to UK landlines (01, 02, 03) and UK mobile numbers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for a duration of 60 minutes per call. at £7.50 a month discounted from £10.

At 60 minutes just drop the call and redial to avoid being charged extra."

So there you have one of your operatives recommending the 67Mbps plan FOR MY LINE, so either my line speed was capable of this, or if not then I was knowingly sold a product that according to you my line speed was not capable of.

Message 45 of 69

Just a shame it's come to this just because TalkTalk cannot agree to change the minimum line speed to what was sold to  me in the first place, and what is shown by BT eh?

0 Likes

Message 46 of 69

Hi

To discuss cancellation of any service, please call our customer loyalty teams directly on 03451720046 or 03451725157 and our colleagues can assist.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Qwghlm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 47 of 69

OK, so how do I go about cancelling my contract?

I've been a customer for about 20 years and I think it's time to move because you no longer supply a recording Freeview box, which is a totally backwards step and relies on streaming, and now you have reduced the minimum line speed without letting me know, and which streaming relies on, (either that or you mis-sold Fibre 65 in the first place).

And if you are saying it was a max 22Mbps at point of sale then you should not have offered my Fibre 65 in the first place.

I know it was over 40, but unfortunately cannot prove it, and BT's line speed checker shows it should be a minimum of 40.

0 Likes

Message 48 of 69

Hi

The estimated speeds for a line are issues to us by Openreach and recorded on your account at point of sale.  We would not change these estimates, and we are unable to amend the given speeds at point of sale.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 49 of 69

That's what I've been saying, you're "predicted" speed has been changed from when I first signed up for Fibre 65, TalkTalk told me it would be over 40Mbps or I would obviously not have chosen Fibre 65, why would I?

The BT line speed check states that the minimum expected speed for my line is 40Mbps which agrees with the speed TalkTalk originally told me.

Someone at sometime has changed the "expected" speed, maybe because of all the problems I have been having with my line over the past 2 years or so.

The line to my house is rated at a minimum of 40Mbps so that is what I expect TalkTalk to show.

To arbitrarily reduce the expected speed without letting me know is wrong in the first place, to do it to cover up an ongoing problem is also wrong.

Just reinstate the line speed to what I was told it would be when I first went to Fibre 65, it's what an honest company would be do.

Message 50 of 69

Hi Qwghlm

We have to go with the predicted speed range provided to us for the line so I'm not sure why the speed is higher than the predicted range.

Our Loyalty Team can change the package back to Fibre 35 but the speed would then be capped at 40mb.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 51 of 69

It shows estimated speed to be 18-22

It also says speed is 27, but when I run a TalkTalk speed test it shows 47.3, so how is that happening?

0 Likes

Message 52 of 69

Hello,

Can I just confirm, does this speed range also show if you log into Service Centre and check the line?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 53 of 69

I believe it was 40Mbps, otherwise why bother with Fibre 65, may have well gone with Fibre 35, or are you saying TalkTalk mis-sold me the Fibre 65?

Message 54 of 69

Hi Qwghlm,

Were you given a minimum guaranteed speed when you signed up to your contract? The minimum guaranteed speed showing on our systems is the speed at point of sale 

Chris

0 Likes

Qwghlm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 55 of 69

Anyone from the TalkTalk support team care to comment why my "Handback Threshold" is 40Mbps, which is what TalkTalk is evidently supposed to use as a minimum speed, but mine is currently shown as 17-21Mbps?

Attached BT image for information.

0 Likes

Qwghlm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 56 of 69

Just to prove the current download speed. (Makes the 17Mbps minimum a bit of a mockery).

0 Likes

Message 57 of 69

Handback threshold shows 40/32.4 Clean/Impacted

So why am I getting a very consistent 46 when there is no problem with the line?

I am checking the speed using three different speed check sites, one of which is TalkTalk's own

Edit  Ah, Ok. Just searched for what it means and it's "Below this speed the operator will normally consider the service not acceptable and allow an order to be reversed without charge."
So TalkTalk should admit there is a problem with my line and sort it out if my speed drops below 40 as "Impacted" means the line may have wiring issues anyway.

So I am back to the issue of getting my line reassessed as being 40-58 as an absolute minimum and NOT 17-21

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 58 of 69

@Qwghlm the trigger figure for fault investigation is not the bottom of the estimated range.

You need to look at the HANDBACK THRESHOLD on the BT website as that is roughly what TT will use as your minimum guaranteed speed.

0 Likes

Qwghlm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 59 of 69

Back to Karl then,

As the BT link shows my line is capable of 40 to 58Mbps, why are you suddenly telling me it's 17 to 22, because you didn't say this when I upgraded to Fibre 65, otherwise I would not have bothered.

You gave me a an over 40Mbps figure which agrees with the BT site information which states 40 to 58

My previous post states that you said over 40Mbps, before I even new about the BT site, so you must have used that process when you originally quoted me.

So now, I want TalkTalk to change my "Expected" from 17-22 to 40-58 in order that I get some help when I have an obvious problem.

Message 60 of 69

That's an interesting site.

If I look at the VDSL "impacted" it says 58Mbps high, 40Mbps low

0 Likes