cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Why is talktalk so precious about DLM resets?

harrybarman
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 29 of 29

I just had a terrible experience with customer service yesterday trying to get a DLM reset. I'm on a fibre to the cabinet package (Fibre 60) and I think it's something that TalkTalk should be able to trigger.

The reason for asking was that after having no broadband since 28th Sep a brightsparks engineer diagnosed a faulty router on the 19th of October. After having a huge runaround with talktalk to get a replacement I ended up buying one myself until they can be bothered to send the replacement.

When I connected the replacement I was getting 4mbps (from 70 previously). I'm thinking this is due to DLM dialling the faulty line down over the period from 28th Sep to 21st Oct. Sure enough the speed improved overnight but only by a small increment.

So that suggests a DLM reset would help.

But... customer services told me

a) Only an internal team can set of the DLM reset and they can't be contacted by customer service reps.

Is this true?

b) We then went through the standard checklist (e.g. can you find your master socket, how many devices do you have connected to your wifi) which had no relevance to the issue at hand. 

Is there any way to get customer services not to attempt the standard checklist and try to understand the problem? Or at least to escalate to someone who can?

c) My connection was working fine for the past 7 days - in fact my router was broken and nothing was working up until the day I contacted them.

Anyone know why talktalk's tests are so useless they can't detect if the router isn't working?

0 Likes
28 REPLIES 28

Message 21 of 29

Yes please - still on 2mbps down and 0.8 up since Friday (when I plugged in the replacement router)

H.

0 Likes

Message 22 of 29

Yes please - I've had a working router since Friday and it's still on 2mbps down 0.8 up.

0 Likes

Message 23 of 29

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. Would you like us to take a look at your connection?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 24 of 29

Ahh - understood. Thanks!

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 29

Nope. If you look at the date of that article you will see that it referred to a trial undertaken by certain ISPs a few years back. TalkTalk were never party to it and you simply cannot arrange for DLM to be reset on demand. 

0 Likes

harrybarman
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 26 of 29
0 Likes

harrybarman
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 27 of 29

Ah yes - it is indeed Fibre 65. 

Thanks for the info about DLM - hopefully customer services can read this and let people know in future.

Cheers,

Harry

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 29

There's no such package as Fibre60, I think you mean Fibre65.

TalkTalk can't reset the DLM on FTTC services. It is controlled by Openreach and can only be done by them. Generally, an Openreach Engineer will only reset the DLM after fixing a fault on the Openreach line. If it was only a faulty router and the line is ok, the DLM should continue to increase the speed profile back up over time, as long as your connection remains stable and error-free.

0 Likes