cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Why is talktalk so precious about DLM resets?

harrybarman
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 29 of 29

I just had a terrible experience with customer service yesterday trying to get a DLM reset. I'm on a fibre to the cabinet package (Fibre 60) and I think it's something that TalkTalk should be able to trigger.

The reason for asking was that after having no broadband since 28th Sep a brightsparks engineer diagnosed a faulty router on the 19th of October. After having a huge runaround with talktalk to get a replacement I ended up buying one myself until they can be bothered to send the replacement.

When I connected the replacement I was getting 4mbps (from 70 previously). I'm thinking this is due to DLM dialling the faulty line down over the period from 28th Sep to 21st Oct. Sure enough the speed improved overnight but only by a small increment.

So that suggests a DLM reset would help.

But... customer services told me

a) Only an internal team can set of the DLM reset and they can't be contacted by customer service reps.

Is this true?

b) We then went through the standard checklist (e.g. can you find your master socket, how many devices do you have connected to your wifi) which had no relevance to the issue at hand. 

Is there any way to get customer services not to attempt the standard checklist and try to understand the problem? Or at least to escalate to someone who can?

c) My connection was working fine for the past 7 days - in fact my router was broken and nothing was working up until the day I contacted them.

Anyone know why talktalk's tests are so useless they can't detect if the router isn't working?

0 Likes
28 REPLIES 28

Message 1 of 29

Morning,

Thanks for confirming 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

harrybarman
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 2 of 29

It's not far - probably about 150m!

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 29

Those are very impressive speeds. The cabinet must be right outside your front door.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 29

You're Welcome 🙂

Regards 

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 29

Yep - it was off for longer but now back to normal 75 down 18 up, Ping times so much better as well.

Thanks again for all your help.

Harry

0 Likes

Message 6 of 29

ok, let me know what happens.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 29

Fab - I'll give that a whirl.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 29

Hi

Now DLM has reset, power off the router for 30 minutes to reset the session, then leave powered on going forward.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 9 of 29

Strangely on running a speed test down speed is <2mbps but up speed is 19. I'll keep an eye on it, but we may need someone to come and look at the line.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 29

You're Welcome 🙂

Regards 

Karl 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 11 of 29

Super - thanks Karl. Great to know that openreach are so responsive!

Cheers,

Harry

0 Likes

Message 12 of 29

Hi

Had a chat with Openreach to see if this could be reset or if an engineer would have to be dispatched.  Usually, they recommend an engineer but as the error count was low, I think they have initiated a reset.

See how the connection behaves for this week.

Regards,

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 13 of 29

Hey - thanks so much. I'm now back on 80 down/ 20 up! What did you do to fix it?

Cheers,

Harry

0 Likes

Message 14 of 29

Hi

Try the connection now and see if the speed has improved.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 15 of 29

Hi

I'll have a chat with Openreach and see what I can do.  Make sure you leave the router on at all times with no reboots going forward and lets see what happens.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 16 of 29

2mbps is unbearably slow - can't really work effectively.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 29

I've had the new router since Friday (so 3 overnight cycles) with no improvement to line speed. Before that my router was faulty from 28th Sep to 21st October.  I would have expected some increase in line speed after the first day or so..

0 Likes

Message 18 of 29

Hi,

I've run a test on the line which is clear, however I can see that the connection was very unstable up until 48hrs ago. Was this when the replacement router was connected? If the connection continues to remain stable then DLM should start to increase the sync speed soon.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 19 of 29

Done (Chief Accountant)

0 Likes

Message 20 of 29

Hello,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

0 Likes