cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

WiFi security settings messages and devices offline

papd63
Team Player
Private Message
Private Message

Message 59 of 59

Hello,

Please can someone tell me what the message 'WiFi security settings have been successfully saved' in my router log actually means i.e. what is the router doing, and why? The message tends to appear multiple, usually 4, times in quick succession, and I get several groups of messages on most days.

My reason for asking is I've been struggling with my wireless printers frequently going offline at seemingly random times. Internet searches show printer-offline issues are widely reported with various printer models, but none of the suggested fixes work for me. Furthermore my problem is affecting two printers (different models) at varying times. So I decided to take a closer look at what is happening in my case...

I ran a batch script which pings my printer IP addresses every 5 minutes over several days to find out when the problem occurs. By cross-referencing the results against my router's log, I've concluded that my problem is somehow linked to the 'WiFi security...' messages in the router log.

To clarify, my 'WiFi security...' messages are usually followed in the log by all 2.4GHz wifi devices - or less frequently all 5GHz wifi devices - automatically disconnecting and reconnecting from the network, and therefore becoming un-pingable for a short time. This is acceptably brief, and is NOT the problem.

The problem IS:
- one or both of my printers becomes permanently un-pingable (ping returns 'unreachable' response) from any device (like my test laptop on wifi, or wired, or my mobile phone) which disconnects and reconnects to the network, AFTER the 'WiFi security...' messages appear. Subsequent pings continue to fail despite the fact that, according to the log, both test device and printer are successfully connected to the network;
- devices that stay connected to the network after the 'WiFi security...' messages, continue to see the printer until the next time they reconnect;
- the only way I have found to make the printer ping-able again from all devices is to disconnect/reconnect the printer itself.

As said above, the 'WiFi security...' messages are normally followed in the log by all wifi devices on one frequency disconnecting and reconnecting. In practice, this can lead to a scenario where the printer becomes un-pingable after one set of 'WiFi security...' messages, and then becomes pingable again several hours later, through being automatically disconnected and reconnected following another set of 'WiFi security...' messages.

In hindsight, my problems will have have seemed random during daily use because firstly, my newer printer can switch between 2.4/5GHz, and secondly, my main laptop running Windows 11 reconnects to the network every time it wakes from sleep. My testing has eliminated these random elements and my printer-offline problems coincide with the 'WiFi security...' messages every time.

So to help me determine where the root cause lies and how to fix it, please can someone tell me what the router is doing when these messages appear, and why do they happen when they do (what is the trigger)?

[ The back of my router says its a Sagemcom FAST 5364-3.T8. The firmware version is SG4K100174. ]

Many thanks in advance.

0 Likes
58 REPLIES 58

Message 21 of 59

Apologies, the product team did actually get back to me last week but I hadn't noticed the update. They've checked the connection between your printers and the router, they say the connection looks to have been stable accept for two short disconnections on one day (24 July) - they've asked if you are still experiencing problems

Chris

0 Likes

Message 22 of 59

Hi papd63,

Sorry for the delay, I'll chase it up again

Chris

0 Likes

papd63
Team Player
Private Message
Message 23 of 59

Hello TalkTalk OCEs.

It's been two weeks now without any response from the product team - not even a request for more information? This makes me think that either no-one has looked at this at all, or someone has looked at it and it's a known problem awaiting a fix.

Any thoughts, or any further light you can shed please? Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 24 of 59

Morning,

Apologies for the delay. We're still awaiting an update from the team.

Thanks

0 Likes

papd63
Team Player
Private Message
Message 25 of 59

Thanks Gliwmaeden2, title at the top looks good, and I agree not worth worrying about any further.

The most important thing is that anyone looking into the problem understands that its no longer specific to printers.

0 Likes

Message 26 of 59

@papd63, I have successfully changed the title at the start, but it doesn't seem to apply to subsequent posts.

Not worth worrying about. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 27 of 59

Hi papd63,

Sorry for the delay, I haven't heard anything further but I'll chase it up.

Regarding the title, I can't see an obvious way to change it unfortunately 

Chris

0 Likes

papd63
Team Player
Private Message
Message 28 of 59

Hi Chris, I wondered if there is any progress on this please?

I also wanted to add an update of my own:

After more testing, I'm also finding that an android phone which remains awake and connected shows exactly the same behaviour as my printers i.e. it becomes permanently unreachable when continuously pinged from a laptop the next time that laptop disconnects and reconnects to the network after the appearance of 'WiFi security...' messages in the log.

So I'm not sure if its possible to change the subject of my post, but the title should now more correctly say 'devices offline' instead of 'printer' offline.

Thanks.

0 Likes

papd63
Team Player
Private Message
Message 29 of 59

Ok that's fine Chris, thanks for keeping me posted.

0 Likes

Message 30 of 59

Hi papd63,

Just a quick update to let you know that are product team are looking into this and I'll let you know when I have an update

Chris

0 Likes

Message 31 of 59

Thanks, I'll pass this on to our product team, I'll let you know when I receive an update

Chris

0 Likes

papd63
Team Player
Private Message
Message 32 of 59

Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking up my question with the product team.

Regarding my printers, I have an HP Envy 6032e, bought about 8 months ago to replace my older HP Photosmart C4780 which I've had for years. In case its relevant, the Envy uses HP+ and Instant Ink, so it connects to the internet; it supports both 2.4 and 5ghz wifi. The older Photosmart is 2.4ghz only.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 33 of 59

Hi papd63,

Could you let me know what the make and model numbers of the two printers are

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 34 of 59

Hi papd63,

I've asked our product team to take a look at this. I'll let you know when I have an update

Chris

0 Likes

papd63
Team Player
Private Message
Message 35 of 59

Hi Keith, perhaps I wasn't clear in my last paragraph - I fully accept your previous point that those messages appear when someone saves a wifi configuration setting. However I'm not (knowingly) saving any configuration settings. My phrase "normally... when there is no user action" was in reference to the thread I linked earlier (this one) where the OP said he was getting the same messages as me, when he wasn't doing anything, and the response from the 'product team' said that this was 'normal'.

So I'm hoping one of the TalkTalk OCEs might recall that previous answer from the 'product team' and be able to give some more detail please. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 36 of 59

Hi @papd63 

In response to your last paragraph, I have answered this several times already. Normal - this log entry is made when you have saved any Wi-Fi configuration settings.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

papd63
Team Player
Private Message
Message 37 of 59

Yes I'm happy to try switching off wifi optimisation.

Although please can you clarify, does this wifi optimisation only automatically hop the channels for 2.4 and 5GHz, or does it do more than that? I've only seen some automatic channel hopping in the logs in the last 4 days, once a day at most, and before that the router seemed stable with no channel hopping, so that alone would seem an unlikely cause of my issues - although I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Perhaps a more likely cause might be some of my devices moving between 2.4 and 5, which seems to happen more frequently for me, so would switching off wifi optimisation also have an affect on that?

If possible I'd still appreciate more clarity on what 'normally' causes the 'Wifi security...' messages when there's no user action, so please can someone seek an answer on that in parallel? (it might help focus my testing to save me some time, or might help someone else in the future)

0 Likes

Message 38 of 59

Morning,

Would you like us to try switching off the wifi optimisation first to see how this compare?

Thanks

0 Likes

papd63
Team Player
Private Message
Message 39 of 59

May I just point out this post, albeit a little old, but I think its the same router as mine, and the messages are certainly the same.

Like me, the OP says they were getting the messages several times a day, despite not actually doing anything themselves. The feedback from 'the product team' was that 'its normal'.

Is it possible to ask the same team what might trigger these messages, other than user action, and still be classed as 'normal'? They probably wouldn't have said 'normal' if they were thinking of wifi interference would they? (although I'm happy to consider anything)

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 40 of 59

@Michelle-TalkTalk 

I have commented quite a bit on this thread by @papd63 earlier on.

The WiFi security messages in the System Log are only generated when the WiFi settings are saved, but I have never seen them occurring when I have not done anything specific myself. Is Wi-Fi Optimisation enabled, it might be worth disabling it so that the OP has full control of his WiFi settings.

I would suggest that WiFi interference needs checking, I can't remember if I offered this before, or not.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes