cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Wifi dropping out

NoBeer
Participant
Private Message
Message 38 of 38

Hi,

I’ve been trying to fix an issue where wifi connected devices can’t access the internet.  It happens sometimes for a very short time and then fixes itself and I can live with that.  But every so often, (sometimes days, sometimes weeks) it happens and the only thing you can do is reboot the (Sagecom) router. 

Devices connected by ethernet (eg youview box) are not usually affected.  And oddly, a pc connected by ethernet to a wifi extender (TPLink RE540) is usually not affected.

I’m also trying to improve wifi coverage and have two wifi extenders: the RE450 and a TPLink N300.  Sometimes you also have to reboot the wifi extenders.

I used the WiFI Analyzer app and could see that my 2.4GHz wifi was on channel 11 and it was very crowded with several BT wifi, Plusnet and Sky all using the same channel.  Something similar on 5GHz.  At the back of the house, 4 of these networks had stronger signal than my own.

I changed my wifi channels to 1 and 48 and speed and coverage seemed to improve.  When I manually change the channel on the router, the two range extenders automatically follow to the same channel, which is good.  But the wifi reverts to channel 11 after a day or so…sometimes sooner. 

I suspect TalkTalk’s wifi optimisation is now causing more problems than it solves, and I’d like to turn it off to see if this brings any improvement. 

Is this forum the right place to request that, or do I need to go elsewhere?

0 Likes
37 REPLIES 37

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 38

You're very welcome @NoBeer 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 3 of 38

Hi NoBeer

Thanks for letting us know 🙂

If you do experience any further issues then please post back here.

Thanks again.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 38

Wifi booster arrived on Sunday, thank you.

Setup was very straightforward and positioning would have also been straightforward if I was only trying to fix 1 dead spot. But to replace my two tplink boosters, I am trying to fix 3/4 deadspots.  The fact that the new booster has a separate cable and can be placed a little way from the socket (as opposed to simply plugging it in) does give a bit more flexibility on placement.

To cut a long story short, I seem to have positioned the new booster to give good coverage everywhere I need it; I have disconnected my previous extenders; and I have reset a couple of wifi devices that relied on the old extenders. So everything is looking rosy using just the router and wifi booster.

Only time will tell, but thank you Keith and Debbie for getting me here.

Message 5 of 38

Hi NoBeer

How are you getting on, have you received the WIFI booster?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 38

Hi NoBeer

The WIFI booster is on the way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes

Message 7 of 38

Yes please.🙂

Message 8 of 38

Hi NoBeer

Would you like me to send a WIFI booster/adapter to see how the connection compares?

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 38

Just click on my avatar & follow the send message option to PM me.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 10 of 38

Thanks Keith.

I will take some screenshots and send them to you.  I haven't yet found out how to PM on here, but I'll try.

The N300 is positioned towards the back of the house on the ground floor to extend coverage to the kitchen at the very back of the house and the garage outside (where I have a camera and a smart plug) It makes the difference between not quite reaching and just about reaching.

The RE450 is positioned on the first floor in the middle of the house to extend coverage to a loft bedroom and a bedroom at the back of the house. This is a bit hit and miss...sometimes the main router is best and sometimes the extender.  This was originally also used to provide ethernet to a desktop during covid so questioning it now is not a bad idea.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 38

Thank you, Debbie

0 Likes

Message 12 of 38

Hi NoBeer

I've switched the WIFI optimisation off again.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 38

It would only come back on if you factory default the router's configuration.

If you want to send me screenshots from your WiFi analyser I can check them for you. Do you really need to use two wifi extenders: the RE450 and a TPLink N300, because too many of them can make the signal worse?

Keith

Message 14 of 38

I spoke too soon.

I've had issues dropping off the internet for the past 10 days or so.  It got to the point that it has happened nearly every night for the last 6 nights.

I'm told wifi optimisation should stay off until there has been a hard reset. But it seems to be happening regularly. It particularly seems to be happening whenever there is a power off/on cycle, which I've had to do nearly every day for the last 6 days.

Having done a line test recently, an openreach engineer came today to check the line and equipment. He replaced the master socket and I hoped that would solve my problems. Within 2 hours, the wifi had switched channels, and dropped off the internet again.

Please will you turn off optimisation again.

Please can you comment on whether a power off would cause the optimisation to come back on. Or could it be that my router is faulty and is doing a hard reset when it shouldn't?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 38

Hi

I've sent you a quick survey to complete, via PM.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 38

Hi

that's great news, thanks for letting us know.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

NoBeer
Participant
Private Message
Message 17 of 38

I've waited a few days before replying.  Yes, yhank you, everything seems fine now.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 38

Hi Vince

Has everything been working ok since your last post?

0 Likes

Message 19 of 38

Hi Vince

The only times I've seen it keep turning back on is when the firmware has been updated or the router reset.

If this happens again then please post back here and let us know.

Thanks

0 Likes

NoBeer
Participant
Private Message
Message 20 of 38

I havent reset the router.  Have you any ideas why the optimisation keeps turning on?

Vince

0 Likes