Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Migration to TalkTalk from Onetel

20 REPLIES 20
Hughmoz
Super Duper Contributor

I am a TalkTalk customer and have an old Onetel.com email address, however, the emails and everything that have read makes little sense. I cannot send out email on Onetel any longer and it will not accept my existing password.

If I click on the link in the migration email from Talktalk to go to where I am supposed to go it just takes me to my TalkTalk main email address. There are no explanations, only confusion.

Need my email t work as I have patients coming tomorrow that I have to send urgent documents to in regard to Covid-19 and yet I havre no idea what Talktalk are saying in the migration email that I received, which is frankly double-Dutch.

I cannot believe how the instructions are so muddled and unclear.

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Hughmoz, are you using the webmail or a mail client and if mail client which one and what version. Please make sure you've got the onetel email address in the private notes of your personal information of your community profile. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Hughmoz
Super Duper Contributor

I have no idea. The point is that it does not work and Talktalk have screwed up once again.

I use a Mac Desktop and an iPhone and I cannot send or receive emails and I am very unhappy at the ability of Talktalk to do anything logical.

It does not work and it should. All the excuses in the world are not going to change anything. Get it fixed please. 

I have patients that In need to screen for Covid-19 and nothing is working. My sign-in details are obviously the same and should work with this new platform and they do not work.

I have spent 2 hours on the phone t o Talktalk and all they can say is that someone may ring me tomorrow between 12 and 5pm and will I be available. I work like a lot of us and have not got tike to sort out TalkTalk problems for them. This is what I pay TalkTalk to do and they are not doing it.

OCE_Ady

I saw you'd already got the mail address in your profile and I've passed it over to the team who are looking into the onetel issue. I'll let you know more when I hear back from them.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

OCE_Ady

Hi, please make sure that your username is your full email address. In other words it needs to have @Onetel.com at the end of it. Is that how yours is showing in the mail client? 

Ady

OCE_Ady

Hello again, we've also noticed that you're using port 993 in your mail client, this is TLS and for the brief period from now until migrated we need you to have no encryption. so only use ports 110 and 25 for now please. 

Ady

Hughmoz
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Ady

I am not using port 993. I use 143 and 25, the correct ones. It's all working now after I had to go back to any earlier date on my Mac and then delete the Onetel account and reset it on my iPhone 3 times over and over before it worked, and my Mac desktop is now behaving. As far as using the username with the @Onetel.com why didn't TalkTalk advise of this as, it has always been to either use just username in one word or, to add the @oentel.com?

it's the same with migration, some have a few emails from TalkTalk and some like myself have not had one since 22/9/20 and some have had a text, but the migration hasn't

happened yet so, why are we not kept up to speed on what you are doing? It's shambles as ever. I had to get Charles Dunstone and Phil Haslam involved to try and get some sensible communication going.

OCE_Ady

Thanks for posting back to let us know you've got it sorted. 

Ady

Hughmoz
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Ady

Well, only sorted in terms of getting my emails back, but no idea when the migration will happen, and hoping that the top brass organise proper communication and instructions on this issue.

OCE_Ady

Hi Hughmoz, I've asked that your mailbox is migrated this morning in the 11 am  slot. 

The project team have asked for the settings you've had to use so that we can help others in the same position if we have them. We're not aware of any issues. 

Ady

Hughmoz
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Ady

I still cannot sign in via the TalkTalk webpage and get a proxy error. The auto sign in fails. Still no real information from TalkTalk about what to do. For example if I have Thunderbird would that not keep all my addresses etc? The promised text messages and emails never arrived and last email was 22/9/20.

I cannot understand why this is so complicated. It's just moving a platform, and it's all IMAP so everything should transfer over surely?

Hughmoz
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Ady

While I wait for you to answer my last question to you, what happened to the 11am migration today Monday 5th October that you advised me that I would be included in? It does not appear to have happened.  It is no wonder we are confused as, it's rather like the Tories and mixed messages all the time. What is the timetable and where can we see that, and how do we know if anything has happened please?

OCE_Ady

Hi Hughmoz, what settings did you find you had to use to get working again? 

I requested that you be added to the 11am migration batch but the previous batch showed an issue so your batch was postponed. When I know that it's going ahead again I'll let you know. 

Ady

OCE_Ady

Hi Hughmoz, I was discussing this issue with a few colleagues and to ensure we explore all the possibilities I and others are testing on macs to see if we can replicate it. Would you mind sharing the OSX and mail versions please?

Ady

Hughmoz
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Ady

Can you send me your phone number to my email address on TalkTalk and I will talk this through. We, or I should say, I, have spent so much time on this and it needs sorting out for all customers. The migrating of an email platform is easy peasy. Only TalkTalk could make everything into a drama. Or if you email me I'll send you my phone number. Contact Phil Haslam (Network manager) Charles Dunstone (CEO) for my email address.

thanks

OCE_Ady

Hi Hughmoz, my role is online only I'm not equipped to call you. I'm sure Phil will be happy to receive the information. 

Ady

Hughmoz
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Ady

I have had a newer email from Phil, having requested information about the aborted migration of my email address on Monday at 11am. Needless to say TalkTalk did not bother to let myself or, anyone else know that they have got into major problems on the migration because, they are trying to move lots of platforms at once, instead of maybe just doing one at a time and succeeding.

The problem is that nobody at TalkTalk is focussed on what is or, what is not happening and letting customers know. We need information and it is up to TalkTalk to provide that information. The fact that this forum is poorly serviced in terms of accurate information rather gives the game away.

We, the customers pay for a service and when we do not get that service we ask questions. On a lot of occasions the replies from the people who provide answers is woefully lacking, which implies that TalkTalk are not really bothered in terms of losing customers as long as they keep getting new ones in, otherwise there would be accurate answers provided.

I do not have a problem now with my Onetel emails, except,  that despite assurances, the much mooted and talked about migration from Onetel onto the main TalkTalk platform has not happened and we have no information about when it will happen.

The existing settings settings are known by TalkTalk for Onetel in terms of having emails on IMAP,  they are 143 for incoming emails and 25 for outgoing emails on an iPhone. On a Phone the TalkTalk settings on an iPhone are 143 for incoming mail and 587 more outgoing mail.

These may change when we migrate, but again no information.

TalkTalk currently uses 993 for incoming and 587 for outgoing mail on IMAP on a computer/tablet/laptop/desktop.

The above is what I use for a Mac desktop and an iPhone. 

OCE_Ady

You're Onetel mailbox has been migrated fully now. 

Please let us know how you get on. 

Ady

Hughmoz
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Ady

It has migrated and I now have a lot of extra settings in my folders on Thunderbird, which is a drag. So, each function like inbox, send and trash has drop down menus, which you cannot delete without losing everything. I saved my address book as a CSV file on my Desktop on my iMac and have no imported it and all of my groups are missing so, it will take a lot of time and effort to rebuild all of those. I cannot sign in to my new email address on the TalkTalk webmail so, I have no idea what has actually migrated in terms of functions and how we are supposed to log-in over the internet and see new settings as, presumably now there are security settings, rather than the "none" that Onetel had before?

Hughmoz
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Ady

No reply to my last post, which is bit standard for TalkTalk unfortunately. I did post on here earlier today, but that has disappeared as posts seem to do now and again.

I have everything running really well now and my Onetel emails are lightening fast to anywhere, including to and from my iPhone. So, very pleased about that.

It took a lot of working out as, there is no real information of much worth anywhere from TalkTalk and requests on here for information and to the network manager Phil did not get replies in the last two days.

I'm still using 143 for incoming and 25 for outgoing. TalkTalk seem to use 993 for incoming and 587 for outgoing, however, although my Onetel emails will work on 993 for incoming 143 is just better in performance.

I cannot see on the TalkTalk webmail where one can actually see the settings on one's email accounts? I mean on the website rather than TalkTalk telling you what they are. Where are they on the actual account as I would see them on my iMac for example? It seems that tech firms are hiding more and more and doing things automatically, which is not clever as, when anything goes wrong you have to keep resetting things. It's like this on my iPhone now with Apple on a lot of things and it is excessive control and unnecessary. I like to know what is going on rather than rely on techies (who make many mistakes) controlling my destiny.

The new platform is good.