Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

I can receive but not send emails

24 REPLIES 24
PeterMB24
Popular Poster

Using my longstanding tiscali.co.uk email, since early last week I have not been able to send any mails - they just sit there in my outbox and do nothing.  I am still receiving mail just fine.

Maybe coincidentally (?), after Tiscali/Talk Talk moved me over to Fleur because we only had slow broadband in our area (Talk Talk stopped supporting this), we now do have access to fast broadband but for some reason the Talk Talk service is still not available to us even though others are now offering it (e.g. Vodafone, BT, Plusnet, John Lewis) and so I have reluctantly had to go elsewhere to get this.  I am just in the process of moving and Fleur / Talk Talk would probably have been notified earlier last week, just when this issue started.

Any advice?  Also, if I can get this fixed, can I continue to use my tiscali.co.uk address that I have had for about 13 years?

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi PeterMB24, I've run a repair on the mailbox you registered on the community with. If that's the affected address please retest and let us know what happens.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

PeterMB24
Popular Poster

Hi, thanks for your reply and apologies for my delayed reaction but I've been out of circulation for the last week!  I have tried sending e-mail again but no change, it still just sits iin my outbox.  Any further ideas or advice?

Many Thanks

Peter

OCE_Ady

Peter, I've just logged into your mailbox and sent a mail to your own mailbox and it sent immediately. Are you able to send those mails that won't send normally if you log into www.talktalk.co.uk/mail?

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

PeterMB24
Popular Poster

Many thanks.  I've just tried that and it seems to have worked.  I never use webmail, always Microsoft Outlook and I have not changed anything in that set up since before I had this problem (I still cannot send from MS Outlook - same problem) and indeed for a long time.  Any reason why this issue may have arisen and any advice on how I may be able to correct it?

Many thanks again

Peter

OCE_Ady

I'd double check the settings you're using against the settings in the help article.

PeterMB24
Popular Poster

Ady

Thanks for the further advice on this earlier last week but I still have problems and have still not been able to send mail now since last month. I read the document you directed me to.

My settings were set at  “Incoming server (POP3) 110” & “Outgoing server (SMTP) 25”. I ran the “Test Account Setting” and it came up with an error as follows (having appeared to show that it logged onto the incoming server (POP3)):

Send test e-mail message: Your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: 554 cm5gb1 smtp.talktalk.net ESMTP server not available.

I changed the setting to “Incoming server (POP3) 995” & “Outgoing server (SMTP) 587” and again received errors on running the “Test Account Settings” as follows:

1) Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

2) Send test e-mail message: Cannot send the message. Verify the e-mail address in your account properties. The server responded: 530 5.1.0 r2x4cdo0oeHon Authentication Required (TT401).

Is there anything else I should be doing or checking as clearly these settings do not seem to work either?

Many thanks! Peter

digger50
Whizz Kid
maybe no help... but worth a try https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email-Webmail/Can-t-send-emails/m-p/1826517#M51507
Any other users with similar problems should start their own topic.
PeterMB24
Popular Poster

Thanks for trying Digger50.  Still no joy. The only thing that changed is that setting incoming port to 995 and ticking authentication box then the test showed that it logged on to the incoming mail server OK (as it did with the previous settings of port 110 and no authentication) but then still returned errors when trying to send a tes email message, after trying all the different variants for encrypted connection (none, SSL, TLS, auto) just in case.

I just don't know where to go from here as I'm completely stumped.

OCE_Ady

I've raised this with the email team as you're not alone and I can replicate the problem. In the meantime please update your community profile to include a landline and mobile number.

PeterMB24
Popular Poster

Hi Ady

Thanks - I was away last week and out of contact, but I've updated those details now.  Did you get any further with your investigations?

Peter

OCE_Ady

Peter, I've run a repair on your mailbox. Let me know if that's cleared the problem. I doubt it will but I've also raised the fault ticket for you.

PeterMB24
Popular Poster

Thanks Ady

Yes, I received 2 text messages to say that it was being looked into. One thing I've just noticed - apart from not being able to send mail it appears that my "sent items" folder is empty, i.e. it seems to have cleared out my history of mails sent previously before it stopped working. I assume that this is related to the whole problem - does that help put a different angle on the matter?

Thanks

Peter

PeterMB24
Popular Poster

Ady - apologies but I've just realised that I didn't actually answer your question.  No, nothing has changed.  still the same problems.

Regards

Peter

OCE_Chris

Hi Peter,

There are no updates yet from our network team. Has it cleared out sent items in webmail or Outlook?

Chris

PeterMB24
Popular Poster

Chris

It's cleared them in Outlook.  I've just checked webmail and there are sent mails in there, but only up to May 2012 plus 2 test mails from last month, so I cannot see the ones I was looking for.

This whole situation seems very weird!

Peter

OCE_Chris

OK thanks Peter, that is strange as I'm pretty sure that the folder and it's contents are stored your PC, we'll see what our network team say.

Chris

Witti
Conversation Starter

Everything was working fine until yesterday morning. Since then I haven't been able to send any emails from my @Lineone.net email account.  

I am not aware of having made any changes to my server set up that would have precipitated this. My wife is having the same problem from her phone, incidentally.  

This isn't the first time this has happened to me. Last time it had to be sorted out via the Talk Talk Chairman's office! 

Thanks for any advice available. 

ANRMSW19
First Timer

I am having the same problem with emails sent using @gol.com. After tinkering with the encryption settings I can get Outlook to send a couple of messages and then it seizes up again. 

GrahamGriggs
First Timer

I have the same problem - again

Recieve is fine, but send wont work either with using webmail or outlook

Seems like a perennial fault, I have had it several times before.

Come on Talk Talk find out what is causing it over and over again and FIX IT