Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Disconnections between 7 and 8 am

ANSWERED
40 REPLIES 40
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I've noticed recently that I'm getting line disconnects at about the same time in the morning. I don't know if it happens every day because I'm not always using it at that time.

When it happens Wi-Fi is still showing as working but there is no connection to the internet. The  light on the front of the router (WiFi Hub) is showing white with blinking orange. It reconnects itself after a minute or so. It sometimes seems to happen a few times within say 10 minutes, as TV streaming will start and then stop again, then restart.

If this is some sort of scheduled maintenance is it possible to reschedule for say 2am when no-one is using it?

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello - yes this has been happening since March for me - also around midday, 7pm and sometimes early morning.  Some days I get 6 disconnections or more.  Also I am disconnected when the phone rings (sometimes, not always).  Very frustrating. I have yet to hear from TalkTalk as to what is going on - but you are not alone.

Fortes
Highlighted
Conversation Starter
OK thanks. I think I'll check the connection 'uptime' time every day from now on to see how often this is happening. It's not really life or death but 7:30 am is a bit annoying and it's happened enough times to make me want to do something about it. Thinking about it it might happen at other times as well, e.g. the smart speaker just stops working for a few minutes from time to time but I have just assumed the streaming service was the issue, but maybe not.
Highlighted
Team Player

I only really began noticing it whilst working from home using Zoom - very annoying being cut off midway for several minutes - and again in the evening - having your film cut off part way through.  When I checked the logs  I noticed that this had been going on since Lockdown began - with my connection dropping on average 4 times daily. I have used new ADSL filter adapters , messed with the DNS settings etc - seems to improve for a couple of days, then back to regular connection drops.

It would just be good if a Talk Talk official could open up and explain what has been happening over the past few months to cause this trouble so many of us seem to be experiencing.

Fortes
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I occasionally get disconnections between 1am and 3am and know this is the exchange doing something because we have more than one line into the property and both usually go off at the same time.

I would doubt regular disconnections during the day are any sort of scheduled maintenance.

7am - 8am rings bells because it is often the times that gas boilers come on and a gas boilers with a faulty ignitions can cause significant interference (used to be a common problem in the days before broadband).  It can be a neighbours boiler not your own...... just a thought

Highlighted
Community Star

@ddtalk ,

Yes, I can certainly say from experience that central heating / boilers switching on can trigger a connection drop. My phone line runs through the cupboard that has all of the hot water tank and thermostats / switches etc. 

I know for a fact that the thermostat on the hot water tank can throw out such bad electrical interference when it operates that it can (occasionally) cut my connection.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
@ddtalk,

Thanks I didn't know that, however my boiler first fires up at 05:45 (although I guess might fire up later as well later depending on the thermostat) and is the other end of the house so might be a low probability. But I will look into it.
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi @Fortesmentum - I've just realised you said "When I checked the logs .."  - could you point me at where to find them? I've had a quick scout round the WiFi Hub router but can't spot them. Thanks.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
OK I found the logs.

It looks like there is a correlation between disconnects and this message:

"The WAN DHCP client process has successfully been terminated on Vlan 36". As suspected this occurs usually between 7 and 8 am, and occasionally a few other times as well.

Having searched the forum I checked the settings and my Vlan id is set to 101, which it seems is correct.

I haven't reset the router to factory settings yet. Would that be a logical next step? If I back up the config beforehand and restore afterwards can I avoid having to set it up again? Although there aren't many changes to be fair.

Manual extract from log of WLAN DCHP terminations (very laborious process so only 10 days worth):
01/07/20 06:49
02/07/20 02:55
02/07/20 07:08
03/07/20 06:59
04/07/20 07:30
05/07/20 07:22
05/07/20 18:07
06/07/20 06:55
07/07/20 07:05
08/07/20 07:17
09/07/20 07:16
10/07/20 07:06
11/07/20 07:36
11/07/20 18:20
12/07/20 07:34
12/07/20 10:52
12/07/20 12:09

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Lazy Musician,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I can see that a possible line fault has been detected and this has been passed to Openreach for further investigation. Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks @OCE_Michelle.  An engineer did some work at the cabinet today and I have a text to say things should be better now. I'll monitor and post back here.

One thing, until recently when I check the download speed at the router it's usually around 33 Mbps. But these days it's more erratic, sometimes as low as 20 Mbps. Right now it is showing 26.1, which makes me wonder how successful the engineer actually was. Like I say I'll report back here.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi @OCE_Michelle ,

I also have just run a service check from "My Account" , I'm still seeing the "We suspect an issue with your broadband" message..

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
So far no improvement. Disconnected at about 06:52 this morning. Speed according to the router is 16.5 Mbps so this appears to have got worse after engineer visit. Any ideas?
cheers
Highlighted

Hi Lazy Musician,

Thanks for the update and I'll take another look now. I've re-run the line test which has detected a possible issue so I've passed this back to Openreach now for further investigation. Please let us know if you don't hear anymore in the next 48hrs.

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thank you Michelle.

No disconnection this morning. Connection download speed still at 16.5 Mpbs according to router dashboard. I also notice my upload speed has gone up from usually about 4.1 Mbps to 5.3 Mbps.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Just power cycled the router to see if that made a difference to the download speed. It has gone from 16.5 to 26.1.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Looking at 'My Account/Service Centre' on the talktalk website it says my connection speed is measured at 31Mbps, whereas the router says 26.1Mbps. Something screwy there. I've noticed this before.
Highlighted

Hi Lazy Musician

This fault is with Openreach and under investigation with a line engineer.

We should receive further updates within the next 48hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi @OCE_Debbie 

Just to let you know that I have had no disconnections for 7 days days now after the last engineer visit to the cabinet, so that's great thanks.

The only downside is that since the first engineer visit my download sync speed has dropped from about 33Mbps to about 25Mbps. Upload has gone up from 4 ish to 5 ish.  Do you think fixing the connection issue has affected the speed?

kind regards

Highlighted

Hi

Tests are clear, and the profile is set correctly.

I've a different model router on the way to you.

When this arrives, turn the router off for 30 minutes to clear the session, connect the new router and then see if the speed improves.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE