Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet connection drops intermittently

31 REPLIES 31
infiniti
Conversation Starter

Hi Team

I have a 38Mbps FTTC connection with guaranteed minimum speed of 35 Mbps

The connection drops once or more an hour and all the lights on the router go off and then they come on in succession with the internet light going red for some time as the service reconnects.

I have discussed this with phone support several times with the team doing all their checks and taking upwards of 30 minutes on most calls, outcome was they identified the service was below the minimum gauranteed speed and sent out a replacement router in the hope that that would fix the issues prior to requesting an engineer visit.

The new router has not fixed either the drops or the speed and when I called up on Saturday 16th february night I was told that the servcie was fine and was syncing at 40 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up. I know this is not the case so I asked to speak to a manager however one was not available and therefore I opened a complaint and was promised a manager callback sunday 17th feb morning between10 and 11am.

No-one called me back and I have just called back and the automated system recongising that I had an open compalint however was advised by the call handler that there was a major system outage since last night and that they couldn't help me at all.

Not sure where to go from here, I can provide further details if it helps and we have a master socket with test socket 5c mk4? Any advice from you bright sparks welcome

Community Team

Hi infiniti,

I'm sorry to hear this. Just to confirm, is the telephone number in your Community Profile correct? Please do not post any personal information on the forum.

Thanks

infiniti
Conversation Starter
Hi Michelle, well spotted - that's an old number. I have just updated it with the correct details - let me know what else you need?

Community Team

Hi infiniti,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however the connection does look unstable. Are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line? Does your master socket also have a test socket?

Thanks

infiniti
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle, we done actually have any phones plugged in or otherwise, as far as I know the socket does have a test socket by removing the front plate. What shall I do?

Community Team

Hi infiniti,

Ok thanks for the update. I've included a Help Article below. If the master socket does have a test socket then would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket for at least 24hrs so we can see how the stability of the connection compares?

Your guide to master sockets

Thanks

infiniti
Conversation Starter
Hi Michelle, I have just connected the router to the master socket with a microfilter. I will monitor it however am in and out tomorrow and then away for a few days til Monday 25th. Can you monitor drops remotely?

Thanks
Community Team

Hi infiniti,

Ok thanks for the update. If you could bump your thread on Monday then we can re-check the connection stats again to see how the stability compares.

Thanks

infiniti
Conversation Starter
Thanks Michelle, for reference I also just did a wired speed test using the test socket and microfilter which came out at the same speed as it was without using the test socket of 31.2 Mbps. Have a good few days and will bump this thread next week
Community Team
infiniti
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

we are back now and have experienced muliple drops since yesterday morning so please can you check the logs.

many thanks

Community Team

Hi infiniti,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've re-run the line test which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see re-connections on the line. Just to confirm, does the master socket have a test socket?

Thanks

infiniti
Conversation Starter
Hi Michelle, yes it does have a test socket. I did plug the router into the test socket with a microfilter on night of the 20th and it has been connected to that ever since
Community Team

Hi infiniti,

Ok thanks for confirming this. Do you have an alternative router that you can test with to rule this out? If not then please let us know and we can arrange to send a replacement router for testing purposes.

Thanks

infiniti
Conversation Starter
Hi Michelle, Talk talk cs had sent me a replacement router and I am getting the same issues with both the old and replacement router
Community Team

Hi infiniti,

Thanks for letting me know. When you connected the replacement router did you also swap all the cables and microfilter? As soon as we've confirmed this then we can pass the intermittent connection over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Thanks

infiniti
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle, I believe I did swap the filter and cable however have just swapped them again to be sure so maybe we monitor it for another 24 hours to check.

Community Team

Hi infiniti,

Ok thanks. If the connection is still intermittent following this then we'll pass this straight over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Thanks

infiniti
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle, the connection is still intermittently dropping. Please escalate to the nework team as per your suggestion.

Community Team

Hi infiniti,

I've requested an update from our Network Team now. If you don't hear back by the end of today then please can you bump your thread and we can re-check for an update for you.

Thanks