would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Moving to nearer cabinet . . .

42 REPLIES 42
BerryViney
Team Player

Hi All,

The last time LiveChat and CS agents failed me; you lot turned out to be amazing; so hoping you will do the same again . . .

Long story short, our fibre speeds have HALVED recently, so contacted Live Chat, who after making  sure I hadn’t plugged the router into the toaster or did a bit of home DIY and moved the Master Socket into next doors shed, sent a BT Openreach engineer; very nice chap but was unable to fix the issue, which was that our cabinet was too far away and we need re-routing to a closer cabinet.

A week later, 2nd BT Openreach chap comes out, after TalkTalk have told them it’s a ‘repair’ job. Poor chap was sitting in my lounge for TWO HOURS whilst on the phone to TalkTalk trying to explain that they need to ‘cease and re-provide’ our line to a closer cabinet; TWO hours on the phone! As a result of which, TalkTalk have ended our current contract and have started a brand new one, which we’re told, will be connected to a closer cabinet when our ‘new’ line goes live in two weeks.

Have just received a txt from Talk Talk ‘we need to speak to you about your order’. Call them, and they say “we just want to check if it’s a new line or a 2nd line that needs installing”. REALLY?!

Tried explaining everything, but not sure I was understood. Let’s see what happens when the next BT Openreach guy comes out . . .

Anyone experiences the same?

KeithFrench
Community Star

I fail to see how it is technically possible to connect to a closer cabinet & if your speeds are half what they were a while back, have you been put on a cabinet further away then? I don't think so.

Please bear with me & let's get some more facts & then I will help you fix this or pass it over to the TalkTalk OCEs if not.

How do you connect wireless, wired, or a mixture? If a mixture is a wired connection better than wireless?

It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is.

To help diagnose this issue, please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password: admin        (unless you have set your own password).

If you use the HG633 & DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, they have their own unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information

On the DSL-3782 go to the home page & copy the stats from the DSL & IPv4 pages.

If you have the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub this can be seen via:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage Advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub

Click on the General tab then scroll down to the page to the xDSL section & copy & paste them into your reply.

Next can you also go to this speed checker (it is useful to have speed test figures taken at the same time as gathering the router's statistics):-

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

Alternatively use:-

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Do this on both wireless & wired (if you have wired), but with never more than one device connected at a time.

Please can you paste the results here?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

BerryViney
Team Player

A162DBBC-63AF-4ED4-ABAB-44C8F3B6AFD3.pngHi @KeithFrench,

Thanks for the reply.

All of our connections apart from our Hive Hub are wireless; attached are screenshots of what you’ve asked.

SpeedTest results are 10.4mbps download & 4.9mbps upload.

The OpenReach engineer (both actually) seemed very confident that moving cabinets would be the answer and solution and is said that it’s something that’s been done for a number of people on the street who’s had similar issues. (We’re in a new-build estate, where they have just recently our installed another cabinet at the end of our road, if that makes a difference).

Openreach have filled me with confidence that is certainly a viable solution, (I think the phrase they used was “cease and re-provide to a new cabinet”); what isn’t filling me with confidence is TalkTalk, having to end our contract, having to start a new one, then calling me to ask what’s going on; surely they should know that themselves as they should be following instructions from OpenReach?

Thanks again.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Well, in that case, the best thing I can do is to ask one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

jacamoco
Team Player

I'm not sure what the Openreach engineer is getting at here.
Any cease and reprovide will be from the exact same cabinet as it is now.
There's zero way Talktalk can request the cabinet be changed, both for new lines and for existing customers.

It's a sackable offense for an Openreach engineer to change your line to a different cabinet without authorisation particularly when your current cabinet has FTTC broadband.

Your line (pair) travels in a bigger cable with all of your neighbours lines.
For FTTC to work ALL the pairs in that larger cable must be connected to the same cabinet.

The stronger signal/differing power levels from 1 of those lines being connected to the nearer cabinet can cause havoc to everyone else's lines.

It would be necessary for every line on the DP (at least) to have their cabinet moved.

Switching lines from a further away cabinet to a nearer cabinet is a very expensive process.

This work is usually only carried out with the help of BDUK public funds.

It has to be planned in advance and a "live-to-live" migration takes place.

There is no way to have your line randomly switched between cabinets. There's no way to request this. There's nothing Talktalk (or any ISP) could do to request it.

If you get below 24Mb then it's possible in the future BDUK work could fund your area/postcode being moved cabinet.

If you get above 24Mb such work is unlikely anytime soon.

Any lines being migrated to a new cabinet are always done before the cabinet goes live.

KeithFrench
Community Star

As I said in my first response I thought it was technically impossible to do this. I have passed it over to TalkTalk anyway so let them sort it.

Keith

spiderbore
Team Player

I am with you on this one Keith, the copper link from your home goes to a specific box and without some serious re wiring cannot be connected to anything else

bill

spiderb
BerryViney
Team Player

Thanks for everyone’s input; I’m not questioning whether it’s possible, I’ve been told by two different OpenReach engineers that it is possible - one was sat in my lounge explaining to TalkTalk the process over the phone - and I’ve heard first hand from other people on the street who already has had it done (like I said we are part of a new-build development, so maybe the network is there, but then wasn’t, but now is, I don’t know . . .)

My main point of the post, was to clarify with the OCE’s, whether our line has been ‘ceased and re-provided’ {from Cab 5 to Cab 35} or whether our contract has just been ended and new one started . . . Which would be pretty pointless . . .

KeithFrench
Community Star

As I said I have passed this over to OCEs but they won't pick this up until tomorrow, so wait & see what they make of this.

Keith

Community Team

Hi BerryViney

I will look into this for you and get back to you. 

Regards

Community Team

Hi @BerryViney

There is a cease going through on your current number due to complete on the 12.07.19,  and new line has been ordered to go live on 01.07.19

There are notes on the order advising to connect to cab 35. 

BerryViney
Team Player

Thanks @OCE_Arne; that’s good to hear about the cabinet. 

Excuse my ignorance, but there’s obviously a 2 week overlap; does that mean the ‘new’ line would be quite literally a whole new line, and a 2nd Master Socket etc or does the ‘new’ line just take over the existing wiring?

Community Team

Hi BerryViney

they will use the existing routeing, and I believe a new master socket will be installed, as the other line will still be active.  

BerryViney
Team Player

Thanks @OCE_Arne

If that’s the case, would it possible to bring the disconnection forward/push back the new go-live??

Having two Master Sockets, one which will only become redundant seems a little pointless . . .

I assumed the line would disconnect one day and the new services start the next . . .

Community Team

Hi 

Sorry its not possible to amend the dates in that way. 

BerryViney
Team Player

@OCE_Arne sorry to bring this thread alive again . . .

However, OpenReach have since been out to re-provide our services, the engineer tells us the order they got was to reprovide from exactly the same cabinet we were ceased from . . . Therefore we are still experiencing the same slow speeds.

Chatting to Live Agents we seem to be starting the whole process all over again . . .

I’ve asked why have our services been ceased if they are just going to be reprovided from the same cabinet, all the time that happens the issues are not going to change . . .

I’ve tried exercising my right to leave as the problem hasn’t been fixed, however I’m told the case was closed as it was marked as fixed on 19/06??? Definitely not fixed. 

Please help 🙏🏻

Community Team

Hi BerryViney,

Can you just check the telephone number in your community profile and confirm that it's correct 

Thanks

Chris

BerryViney
Team Player

@OCE_Chris  Number updated. It was still showing our ceased one.

I’m please to say I had a call back from one of the Fault Managers yesterday (working on a Sunday - I was very surprised) . . .

He understood the issue, and understood the solution, he said it’s just now a case of *how* they  get to it, so *fingers-crossed* we are one step closer to getting this resolved.

Community Team

Thanks for updating your number and for letting me know about the call from the Fault Manager 🙂

Chris

BerryViney
Team Player

@OCE_Chris 

And the saga continues . . .

The first Fault Manager, I spoke to was great, he fully understood the issue and the solution, however he would need to speak to the New Lines Team to make it happen, and told me someone would be in touch . . .

Two further conversations with two different (not as helpful) Fault Managers, one of whom suggested we wait 14 days for the line to stabilise (it’s been unstable since May) and the latest who wants to send out an OpenReach engineer to try and fix said ‘unstable line’ . . . something which the previous three have been unable to do . . . which is why it was ceased in the first place.

What I can’t understand, (and none of the agents seem to grasp the concept of my question either) is why we’re our services ceased if they were just going to be re-provided from the same cabinet? Same cabinet, same slow speeds, same issue.

Every OpenReach engineer that attends, has said the answer is to be routed through a closer cabinet, they just need to receive the instruction from TalkTalk . . .

All the time we are paying for a service we are not receiving! (Sorry, rant over)!