Did you mean: 
Need help?

Own router ?

ANSWERED
5 REPLIES 5
xkcbp
First Timer

Hi,

I am a yet to be customer of Talktalk to get "Faster Fibre".

According to wikipedia, my connection socket at home is a BT fibre-to-the-cabinet (FTTC) VDSL faceplate ("Master socket with two sockets" according to http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40812/~/what-type-of-master-socket-have-i-got%3F )

I understand how to connect the "super router" that I will received, but how does it work if I want to use my own router, say Linksys WRT3200ACM? Do I need to use the talktalk hub as a modem to get connected?

I think what confusing me is that there is no broadband port on the third party router (i.e. the one that connect the grey "broadband cable" on the talktalk one).

KeithFrench
Community Star
Solution

You are perfectly entitled to use your own router. I cannot comment on the particular one you mention, as I do not know anything about it. Just make sure that it has an inbuilt VDSL2 modem and that it is guaranteed compatible with TalkTalk fibre.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

martswain
Philosopher

According to a search, the Linksys WRT3200ACM is just a router, so you will need a suitable VDSL modem.

As far as I know, the TT supplied device cannot operate in modem-only mode, but I am sure @KeithFrench will confirm that.

Martin
xkcbp
First Timer

Ah I see. I wasn't sure I needed a modem to connect with fibre. Is it because it is Fibre to the Cabinet and not Fibre to the Home?

KeithFrench
Community Star

In line with what @martswain says, no current TalkTalk router can be put into modem mode.

However, the TalkTalk router can be used as the initial modem/router & your router connected to it via a LAN connection. Depending on your router's capabilities, you either put that into bridge mode, or have that router on a different IP network to the TalkTalk one. Then you would have to configure the LAN port to be an address on the same subnet as the TT router. This can have extra configuration complexities of double NAT, but I can always advise how to get around that if needs be, again depending on the capabilities of your router.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi xkcbp,

Welcome to the Community, I can see that Keith and martswain have helped you with your query, if you need any further assistance please let us know 🙂

Chris