Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wifi speed dropped dramatically in last couple of days

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi, my wifi upload speed has dropped from 22 mbps down to 1.5 mbps and it has made it impossible for me to work from home as i need a decent wifi to do so. Please help.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Punnettr ,

Are you able to run a speed test from a 'wired' device to see if you are getting the speed you expect then ?. This will help prove if the issue is with your broadband connection to your router, or an issue with your local Wi-Fi signal.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi,

My computer is wired into my router and the results are 1.5mbps down from 22mbps.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Just sent the latest speed test result via your test portal:
Thank you for submitting your speedtest results. This will aid our technicians if you have an issue.
We recorded your speed as
Download 2605 KBits/s (325.625 KBytes/s)
Upload 1232 KBits/s (154 KBytes/s)

With the current speed test you could download the following:

Mp3 in 12.28 Seconds
Video in 40.94 Minutes
DVD in 3.41 Hours
Highlighted
Community Star

Ok, so sounds like the speed to your router is actually pretty poor, the staff here will be able to check this for you, hopefully they will be able to respond tomorrow.

It would also be worth going to the Service Centre to do a test on your phone line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault on your line. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
I ran the test and this was the result:
We're working on your fault

We’ve run a test and found a problem between the exchange and your home which needs an Openreach Engineer to fix.

We have booked the engineer who will be sent to fix the fault. You don't need to be at home and we will update you once they have completed the job.

We are working as fast as we can to fix the problem. It should be resolved in 2-3 working days.
Highlighted
Community Star
Cool, that sounds promising then, lets hope the Openreach engineer can fix it for you.

Once you get confirmation that the fault has been fixed it can sometimes take a while for speeds to recover, if your speeds don't recover within a few days then post back here and the staff may be able to 'reset' some things to get your speed back up more quickly.
Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Thanks for your help. I do hope this will be resolved asap as my work depends on my wifi.
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Punnettr

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which has detected a possible line fault so I have passed this over to Openreach to be investigated by a line engineer.

We should receive further updates from Openreach within the next 48hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Hi Debbie, yesterday TalkTalk rang me and told me that the issue was inside my house and booked an engineer visit today between 8am and 1pm. No engineer came at all and I waited in all morning. I contacted the TalkTalk chat who told me that the engineer was booked on TalkTalks system, but not on open reach. So no engineer will be coming to my house. Can you rebook the engineer for tomorrow please.
Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Hi Debbie, yesterday TalkTalk rang me and told me that the issue was inside my house and booked an engineer visit today between 8am and 1pm. No engineer came at all and I waited in all morning. I contacted the TalkTalk chat who told me that the engineer was booked on TalkTalks system, but not on open reach. So no engineer will be coming to my house. (I am not a happy person at the minute) Can you please rebook the engineer for tomorrow please.
Highlighted

Hi Punnettr

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I can confirm that this fault is now with Openreach and is showing on their system. This is a non appointed visit at the moment.

I will check this again this afternoon for further updates from Openreach.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi Punnettr

I've checked and this fault is still with the Openreach line engineers, no further updates have been provided at the moment.

I will check on this fault again tomorrow morning for any additional updates.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi Punnettr

This fault has been assigned to an engineer this morning so we should hopefully receive further updates later this afternoon.

Thanks

Debbie