cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

5G WiFi unreliability last few weeks Feb-Mar '23

mistersharpe
Team Player
Private Message
Message 11 of 11

Can you advise when the last firmware upgrade was applied?

I noticed now there are hidden guest networks which weren't there before which implies there has been one. Current version: SG4K100158

The reason I ask is because about 3 to 5 times a day the Wi-Fi network drops. Both myself and wife work from home and our laptops and phones disconnect simultaneously. Whilst devices that are connected via ethernet remain online. It reconnects almost immediately but is enough to drop our VPN connections to work.

Workstations have not moved locations and neither has the router. The only thing I can think of is that the firmware has introduced this new issue.

Also the age-old issue of the 5G network channel resetting to the default has arisen again. For me, my property is very elevated and receives interference from several other networks on the default channel when this occurs.

Any advice or ideas on resolving this issue would be greatly received. It may be that both of this issues are one in the same.

Thanks,

Carl.

10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi mistersharpe

Only TalkTalk staff can switch the WIFI optimisation off.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

I have quite a few custom settings ie: ports/WiFi etc, if I save/reboot/reapply the config, will that work without issues? 

PS: The new channel selection has held - so thank you for that! I assume that's still not a customer accessible function?

Message 3 of 11

Hi

try a pin reset of the router - hold a pin or paperclip in the reset hole at the back for 10 seconds and this will fully reset the router. 

Then see if it still shows this behaviour.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

It used to work prior to the last update. And from what I know, I'm not near any military bases either. 

Something you can escalate to next level support?

Carl.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Hi

I'm not aware of this, unless this is from DFS channel selection during scan.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Morning Karl,

Thanks for the setting that. I'll report back if it sticks after I return from the school run.

I have since discovered another issue this morning, also.

mistersharpe_0-1678174295467.png

No channel above 108 works. The SSID never appears - is this something you are aware of?

Carl.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

Hi

optimisation is now off for you.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 8 of 11

The support team here should be able to disable Wi-Fi Optimisation when they are back tomorrow.

A firmware upgrade, or a factory reset of the router, will usually turn this setting back on, so you would need to ask for it to be turned off again if either of those events happen in future.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 11

Ah yes, this was the fix last time this happened.

Lovely support people, please disable this "optimisation" setting for me.

Carl.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 10 of 11

Hi @mistersharpe,

Have you ever asked for the 'Wi-Fi Optimisation' to be turned off on your router ?, doing that will ensure that the router does not change Wi-Fi channel by itself, and will stay on whatever channel you manually set.

If you have ever asked for this to be turned off (to help with your wireless stability) then a firmware upgrade will cause that setting to get turned back on again, and the router would then start trying to switch you to the best channel it can, but this can sometimes cause problems in itself, as constant channel switching can cause your connections to drop.

So if you would like the support team here to turn off your Wi-Fi optimisation then they could certainly do that for you.

It is likely you have had a firmware update recently, as the firmware you are on has only recently been released.

0 Likes