cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Disconnections since 25th January

Franco_B
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 142 of 142

Hey,

Firstly - I'm having to use the account holders community account to start this thread as you seem to have deleted mine even though I can see my posts.  So I'm not the account holder, just the one who sorts the tech issues in the house.

The setup.

Wifi hub (not black) connected by master socket.  All devices except one on wifi, the other one is wired directly into the router with Cat6 (no power lines used).

The issue.

Random disconnections of the internet. Router reconnects syncing at different speeds.  Prior to thursday I'd sync around 50mbps, now it's between 45mbps and 30mbps after it disconnects

What's been tried.

New filter via test socket.

Engineer visit - swapping master socket filter, faceplate and cable connecting to router

Engineer couldn't see any issues, when testing.  Noted that the line was capable of 55mbps while the router was syncing below 45mbps so requested a new router from you guys.

New router (wifi hub black) arrived, connected.

Issues persist.

The events.

I contacted TT via Twitter DM.  Initially told that there was no line issue and the test were fine.  I was informed it was a WiFi issue.  I replied I have wired devices and it's the router losing connection.  I was again informed it was a WiFi issue.  I again replied that I have Cat6 wired into the router, it's not a WiFi issue.  A different agent asked me to explain the Cat6, so I did.  I was again informed it was a WiFi issue, i again sent the I'm wired, that it's not a WiFi issue, and sent photos of the router logs. They told me that sorting the WiFi issue solve the problem.  I sent more photos and said it wasn't a WiFi issue - then I hear nothing.

I reported more disconnections the next day, the agent (different one) did more line checks and noted there was a fault on the line, they arranged for an engineer.

Engineer came (openreach) and found no issues in the cab or the house. They replaced the integrated microfilter on my master socket, and if i recall correctly, changed the faceplate too as well as supplying a new cable to connect to the router. They noted the speed discrepancy between the router and their equipment and requested a new router.

More disconnections followed that evening/night.

Today, the new router arrived (WiFi hub black), I've installed it and we've had more disconnections.

Currently talking on twitter again, and they're booking an engineer again.

Why am I posting this?

I've had to restart the conversation on twitter multiple times, I don't know if the agents don't have access to the full conversation or what, but I've been asked the same questions a fair few times.  I started this in the hope that I may get help here.

I'm also being informed that if the engineer comes and finds no faults we'll be charged £75.  Considering Openreach has come and found no faults in the home or the cab, this feel like I'm being put in a position where I'll be charged and not have the issue resolved. Presumably the bill payer has been charged for the Openreach visit.

Many thanks

Rob_B

Edit: Engineer booked, no clue as to if we're being charged or not to be honest.  I'd hope not considering the home/cab has already been cleared by openreach. 

0 Likes
141 REPLIES 141

Message 1 of 142

No problem, was hoping you guys could shift the posts out.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 142

Hi @Franco_B 

Could you please start a new topic for the issues on your Grans line?

Please can you add your Grans name and landline number to the Private Notes section of your Community Profile.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 142

@Franco_B, can you possibly just start a new thread for issues for your Gran?

It is too confusing having everything on here, and time-consuming trying to work out where issues end and begin.

Return to the message board and click on start a topic. 

Add your Gran's details in Private Notes, if they are not already there.  It's at the end of Personal Information in the profile area. SAVE CHANGES. 

Staff back on here after the weekend. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 4 of 142

Heya,

I know it's my fault for adding my grans issues to this thread, but could it be moved out into its own? I'm not sure what options you have available to you as a forum admins.

I've now managed to remember to do things at my grans. Her phones are now connected to her master socket, via a filter with a splitter attached for both phones - that's as big a compromise as I can make as she needs both being 89 and hard of hearing.

However, there is no test socket on her master socket, removing the front just exposes the wires.

Noise is random, similar to how it was with our phone. Sometimes fine, other times very crackly with no pattern to it requiring a call back to sort. The phone drops calls - I'm unsure how frequently, but she said it happened this week.

Many thanks,

Rob_B

0 Likes

Message 5 of 142

Hi Rob

It may be that the line no longer supports these speeds.

Once the engineer has investigated and reset DLM then the speed may drop if DLM is detecting errors or drops on the line. It does this to get the best balance between speed and stability.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 142

Heya,

I didn't see the one on 26th unless that was the very brief disconnection I noticed to a server, I did see it change last night however. Bit of a change from the start of the year when it would sync around 50mbps, getting around 80% of the speed we used to and now around 60% of 65 the package can offer up to. 

Bit disappointing that both fixes this year have each knocked off 10% of our speed.

Many thanks,

Rob_B

0 Likes

Message 7 of 142

Hi Rob   @Franco_B 

Thank you 🙂

The line is currently in sync at 39.5mb.

There were 2 recent DLM changes, one was on 26/06 and the other on 27/06.

Message 8 of 142

Heya Debbie,

Yes that's fine,

Many thanks,

Rob_B

Message 9 of 142

Hi Rob   @Franco_B 

Will it be ok for me to run a quick line test now and check the connection stats? (the connection may drop for a minute or so)

0 Likes

Message 10 of 142

Heya,

I've noticed it drop connection to a server once when no other clients did - that said the internet didn't disconnect. 

Other than that, it disconnected last night and reconnected with a slower download/upload

Franco_B_0-1719568447109.png

But that's the only disconnection since the OR visit, was that the DLM doing its thing?

Many thanks,

Rob_B

0 Likes

Message 11 of 142

Morning Rob  @Franco_B 

How's the connection been since your last post?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 142

Thanks for the update Rob. 

Chris

Franco_B
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 142

Heya,

OR have been and found a loose connection somewhere (I think the cabinet),  the engineer also mentioned checking the exchange for the phone line as something was showing up that shouldn't be.

Internet has resynced at the below

Franco_B_0-1719316059743.png

Slower again than what it has been, hopefully the DLM will kick in and up it back to where it was.  Will continue to observe. 

Many thanks,

Rob_B

0 Likes

Message 14 of 142

Thanks for the information, hopefully the engineer will be able to locate the cause of the slow speed and disconnections

Chris

0 Likes

Franco_B
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 142

Heya,

Our speed is now below our guaranteed download speed (not that I know what that really means).  Interestingly the speed checker says we were getting 44mbps yesterday, it seems to have been on a downward trend lately around mid 30s.

Franco_B_0-1719236098207.png

The above was done using a Cat6 wired device directly into the router. 

Router is showing the below

Franco_B_1-1719236210483.png

Many thanks,

Rob_B

0 Likes

Message 16 of 142

Hopefully you won't have too long to wait for FTTP to be available from one of our suppliers

Chris

Message 17 of 142

Heya,

It is currently FTTC, Open Infra are gearing up to install FTTP in the area, and judging by the number of signs around when walking around the block, they'll be grabbing a lot of customers off Open Reach - at least from what I understand about how the altnets work.

If TalkTalk was available via Open Infra (when they install it), rather than having to go with Optyx for broadband, then that would have been the most desirable outcome for us, due to you offering digital voice so no need to find a VOIP provider, as well as, as far as I'm aware, you guys not using a CGNAT which seems to cause issues when hosting thing or even connecting to others when gaming on consoles.

Unfortunately, you aren't available, so we'll be stuck using what we have currently with all the issues we seem to be having until Open Reach manages to finally figure out what's going on. 

Many thanks,

Rob_B

0 Likes

Message 18 of 142

If it's only showing Fibre65 then this will be FTTC not FTTP

Chris

0 Likes

Message 19 of 142

Heya,

All i'm seeing is fiber65.

Many thanks,
Rob_B

0 Likes

Message 20 of 142

Does FTTP currently show as available to you if you log into your My Account under offers and upgrades?

Michelle