FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet Ports - Another Wifi Hub freezing

DRT22
Chatterbox
Message 16 of 16

Hi all,

Like many other users, I have a major issue with the new wifi hub.  Every other day I have to reboot it as it loses the ethernet connections.  Internet and wifi stay working but I can't do anything other than reboot the hub.  The version is SG4K10002816t.

This is a bit disappointing as I was sent the hub to help with poor wifi coverage and indeed that problem is solved.  The older hub was rock solid in terms of internet, wifi and ethernet but it was just not good enough on the wifi signal coverage.

I'm a bit disappointed that one problem is fixed and another has arisen.

Is there another firmware available to try to fix this?

Thanks.

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Hi @Himcules

Please can you create your own topic on the Community.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

In my case, yes.

0 Likes

Himcules
Popular Poster
Message 3 of 16

I also have the same issue. In debug logs I see often TalkTalk's DNS servers being mentioned.

My DNS and DHCP fails, I reset all my ethernet equipment up to the router, and the router is the issue. Intermittent but more frequent in the evenings. WiFi is usually ok. The router is 40% CPU usage which is quite high compared to usually around 20%. No idea on context switch counts etc. Wish we had extended stats...

75% packet loss or more from router doing local pings during these times from ethernet.

"I suspect that the router is waiting for some response from TalkTalk's DNS servers which it isn't getting and this then causes the ethernet ports to freeze, but not the wifi. " Unusual but I agree with this. 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

Hi DRT22

The firmware should resolve the issues reported with DNS.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

Thanks Debbie.

I do think though that it would be useful to report my issue to them prior to release just in case it hasn't been picked up.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

Hi DRT22

We do have new firmware coming soon for the Sagemcom WIFI hub. This is due to be rolled out over the next few weeks.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

Michelle,

The router has now been working fine and continuously for nearly 6 days and so I think it's fair to say that changing to Google's DNS servers has resolved the issue. (dany07rap, thank you).

So I think this should be pushed through to the software team to investigate how such a small change can affect the performance.  I suspect that the router is waiting for some response from TalkTalk's DNS servers which it isn't getting and this then causes the ethernet ports to freeze, but not the wifi.  I guess the vast majority of your customers who have the wifi hub don't even use the ethernet ports which is maybe why this issue hasn't been resolved beforehand.

I would imagine it's a simple fix in firmware and I would hope that you can persuade them to look at that.

After all, it would benefit TalkTalk's reliability and reduce the number of support calls.

Can you let me know if you are going to progress it please?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

Hi,

Yes of course 🙂 Please let us know if you need any assistance 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Hi Michelle

Thank you for the offer.  May I keep that open for a few days please?

The reason is that since changing the DNS to Google's servers on dany07rap's recommendation, it hasn't frozen yet but has only been running for 42 hours since the last reboot.  So I'd like to see if that fixes it.

I am happy with the wifi coverage compared to the old router which is a Huawei HG633.  Is that the one you are thinking of trying or do you have a later model?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 16

Morning,

Would you like us to send a Huawei Wifi Hub to see how this compares? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Thanks ferguson and dany07rap.

My profile is set up so that they can identify me.

I've changed my DNS and restarted so will report if that fixes it.

FYI - On the dashboard, the hub states that for both ethernet ports the status is "UP", even when they have frozen.

ferguson
Community Star
Message 12 of 16

@DRT22 OK, if you would like the support team here to look into this for you it will help if you make sure that your personal details including TalkTalk landline number are complete on your community profile (click here) so that they can link your forum identity with your account and then wait for them to respond. Bear in mind that they won't be back online until Monday. 

0 Likes

Message 13 of 16

I have had the same problem, change the DNS settings from automatic to manually and put Google DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

0 Likes

DRT22
Chatterbox
Message 14 of 16

Thanks for the response.  I've tried all ports but only using 2 out of the 4.  Different cables make no difference.

As everything is functioning perfectly for 24 to 36 hours, then just the ethernet section stops working I think it's either a faulty router or firmware.

After a soft or hard reboot the ethernet ports work fine until another 24/36 hours have lapsed.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 15 of 16

Are all the ethernet ports affected? Have you tried with different cables? Are all ethernet connected devices dropping at the same time?

0 Likes