FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre 300mb/s and Fritzbox 7530 setup help

Warfather
Popular Poster
Message 13 of 13

I just had my internet upgraded today to 300mb/s fibre and it involved changing a socket on the wall and getting an Openreach (Huawei) modem combination with TalkTalks included router.

The thing is I already have a Fritzbox 7530 that I was very happy with. I found some settings from other users on this forum and tried those by directly connecting to the DSL port on the Fritzbox and skipping the modem altogether but it didnt work. The settings were as follows:

Internet>Account Information>Internet connection
Internet service provider: TalkTalk
Connect via: Connection to a DSL line
Account Information: Is account information required? No.
Connection Settings:
VLAN Settings: Use VLAN for internet access: Yes- VLAN-ID: 101
DSL ATM Settings: VPI 0, VCI 38.
Encapsulation:
Bridged (Routed Bridge Encapsulation): Yes
Obtain the IO adress automatically (DHCP): Yes

When this didn't work despite others saying it did, I tried using the Fritzbox in conjunction with the included modem through the LAN1 port instead and connecting the DSL cable to the modem instead. For this to work, I changed the Fritzbox settings to 'Another attached modem/router establishes the internet connection' and this is where it told me to connect to the LAN1 port. This didn't work either.

Is there a reason it doesn't work? Have I messed something up or is it just incompatible? I really don't want to use TalkTalk's included stuff, especially with a Huawei modem...

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Warfather
Popular Poster
Message 1 of 13

Not sure what happened because there were more messages here earlier asking more questions...

I decided to take the plunge and buy an Asus DSL-AC88U AC3100 that is G.Fast certified. Its a lotta money but that should remove the requirement for the Huawei modem.

I'll likely need help setting it up when it arrives since I already read its a bit of a pain to set up.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 2 of 13

@Warfather As @Terrick said there are combined G.Fast modem/routers available. I wouldn't get too paranoid about Huawei btw, if the modem doesn't get you, the cabinet will. Only joking, everybody is listening. 

0 Likes

Terrick
Whizz Kid
Message 3 of 13

Is the BT modem a MT992--if so its G.fast . I have g.fast 150/30 and I us a XMG3927-B50A  all in one router/modem --I then have access to the Stats. You cant do this on the BT modem --so cant check the sync speeds.

0 Likes

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Hi,

I think your speed is actually 3.3Mbps or 3,300 Kbps. You are likely to have an VDSL connection based on the info provided.

330Mbs is normally only available on Fibre to the House or Premises (FTTH or FTTP). Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) with the last section as copper is VDSL.

As to Fritz box is does not support VDSL, so you need to use the supplied modem. Is china spying on us, who knows, possibly. The specifics of you comments relate to 4/5g modems but nothing has been proved, except by conspiracy theorists! 

Have fun

In the depths of Bedfordshire, working part time, playing golf, caring for my wife and organising the world around me! Liking the speed from future fibre. Don't need to care about the distance from the green box any more, ADSL (or VDSL) issues, rebooting modems and then losing speed!
0 Likes

Warfather
Popular Poster
Message 5 of 13

So I messaged AVM directly about the situation, they were extremely helpful in all honesty and replied within two hours.

They basically said since the modem is using G.Fast, my current modem/router cannot work on its own however it can link with the existing Huawei modem and linked me to this page. Using the setup on that page, I have got the Fritzbox 7530 working with the modem however I still aren't very happy about having to use a Huawei modem with all the news about them reporting back to China with information.

I have however setup my router with my DNS based VPN directly through the router settings now. I have no idea how this works in terms of potential spying on the modem side but I assume its better than nothing. It also hasn't slowed my connection speed down at all really (like 10-20mb/s loss on download on a 330mb/s connection without).

In response to the above post, I have no idea if its FTTH or FTTC, I think its FTTH since my last one was FTTC and its a huge upgrade, talktalk doesn't explain what it actually is on their sales pages or my account.... The engineer also explained my current area is getting 1GB/s internet installed but since I am in a flat, mine will be last to be upgraded so I will likely switch to that when its available.

Are their replacements available with a modem router that would support 1GB/s internet on G.Fast? It seems G.Fast is the issue.

0 Likes

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Try this setup as you will need to connect to the BT Supplied ONT.

https://en.avm.de/service/knowledge-base/dok/FRITZ-Box-7530/1167_Setting-up-the-FRITZ-Box-for-use-wi...

In the depths of Bedfordshire, working part time, playing golf, caring for my wife and organising the world around me! Liking the speed from future fibre. Don't need to care about the distance from the green box any more, ADSL (or VDSL) issues, rebooting modems and then losing speed!
0 Likes

JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Is this VDSL or FTTH? If FTTH then you need to check which port of for WAN connection. the ADSL connections are irrelevant on Full Fibre. Perhaps a reset is needed. Although based on the info from the Fritz website, your modem won't work on fibre.

0 Likes

Warfather
Popular Poster
Message 8 of 13

No I haven't reached out to Fritzbox support yet since it was only completed this morning. I'll try that next then thanks.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

Hi Warfather

We can only advise using the equipment provided by the Openreach engineer during the install (Openreach modem)

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 10 of 13

It won't work without the modem, but it should work with it. It will be a question of delving into the settings, have you reached out to Fritz Box support?

0 Likes

Warfather
Popular Poster
Message 11 of 13

Hi Debbie,

The engineer didn't know. We tried it both alone and with the modem but it didn't work.

Is there an alternative to the Openreach modem that will work?

As I said, I really aren't a fan of Huawei being involved at all.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 12 of 13

Hi Warfather

I'm not sure if you can use a different router with the Openreach modem.

Did the engineer advise in regards to this when they completed the installation?

Thanks

0 Likes