cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Fibre 35 upload speed very slow

spenserbean1
Visitor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 6

Hello, A week ago I realised that my upload speed was very slow and nowhere near the advertised 9Mbps currently it's 2.61Mbps. I used that chat service twice. The first time I was advised to switch off the router for 20mins that didn't work. The second time I was told that my devices were defective. I decided to check and tethered my PC to my mobile phone. I got  48Mbps upload speed same result with my laptop. No problem with download speed which is currently 21.6Mbps although less than advertised I can watch 4K videos. Any advice would be appreciated.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

@spenserbean1, being on Fibre35, you are not on ADSL, as AllyM correctly says.

If you were, your maximum upload speed would be 1Mbps.

I still give some music lessons online when pupils can't get along, like during the pandemic. 

My slow speeds [max download on WiFi usually 14Mbps] are absolutely fine for that sort of work and emails, Facebook, etc so your FTTC should be fine too for all the basics. You have around 3x my upload speed!

As above, don't confuse FTTC with Fibre to the premises, which would be a whole different ballgame and infrastructure. No copper involved then at all. No master socket. Different terminology to get acquainted with.

Yes, staff can check your line for faults, but if none register on a test, other than possibly swapping out a router, there's not really anything to be done. Averages are very much that, and, while there is a minimum guaranteed download speed for your line, there is honestly no such thing for the upload speeds. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

@spenserbean1 

If you would like the support team to look into this for you make sure that your personal details including TalkTalk phone number and/or account number are complete on your community profile (click here) so that they can link your forum identity with your account and then wait for them to respond.

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 6

@spenserbean1 ,

I think you may be getting confused between Full Fibre FTTP (Fibre To The Premises) and and the hybrid technology FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) used by TalkTalk's Fibre35 which You are on.

The figures you are looking for from the link I posted are the VDSL values for the Maximum/Minimum (High/Low) predicted download and upload speeds - What are they?

Bear in mind that these will be connection sync speeds - actual throughput speed will be slightly lower.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

Hi , Thank you for your reply it really helped. I've been with TT for over a decade. When I signed up for Fibre 35 I wasn't told anything about speeds, but when the upload speed became an issue I checked and they say 9Mbps upload speed is average. 

based on the link you provided my line is ADSL. FTTC is unavailable and the exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme. From what I have read Fibre 35 is offered to customers like  who still are on ADSL. Despite this I think the upload speed should at least be getting close to 9Mbps and not hovering between 2.17Mbps to 2.61Mbps. That just about enough to work from home, not anything else. 

Thanks again. It would be helpful if someone from TT could please tell me why the speed is currently where it is, as I think they should be able to give it a boost at least to the advertised speed.

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 6

What do you mean by "advertised" speed?

On a FTTC service such as Fibre35, the speed you will get is determined mainly by the length of the copper part of the line from the cabinet to your home.

You should have been advised of your minimum guaranteed download speed at the time you signed up for your service but they don't give an actual guarantee for upload speed.

You could also try searching for your address here BT Broadband (btwholesale.com) to get an idea of Openreach's estimated speeds for your line.