cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Fibre 65 slow speeds (not matching guaranteed speed)

kam96
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 40 of 40

Upgraded to fibre 65 few weeks ago, still seem to be stuck on the old fibre 35 package. I’ve tried rebooting the router after 30 mins to reset the DLM connection to no avail (using the supplied Sagemcom router/ WiFi Hub) and also my own TP-Link Archer VR400 v3. Nothing has helped. I temporarily had decent throughput, around 39-40mb (before it dropped back down to 34-36mb) but again still under the guaranteed speed according to Talk Talk. I’m out of ideas at this point. The only thing I can think of is that there may be an issue with the cabinet in my area (possible corrosion?) or the openreach socket installed at my home back in 2018. Any help would be greatly appreciated. At the moment this is unacceptable, I’m actually getting slightly lower speeds than I was on Fibre 35 - I was getting a fixed 38mb download speed using fast.com and Speedtest.net now I’m stuck in the mid to low 30s after the “fibre 65 upgrade” 

IMG_5214.png

0 Likes
39 REPLIES 39

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 40

@kam96 ,

Accepting potential charges is just a formality that has to be adhered to before they are able to book an engineer appointment for you. The key word is "potential" - If you are certain that the fault is external to your home then you should have nothing to fear.

0 Likes

Message 22 of 40

In your own words you are saying that there is a line fault somewhere and you agree with me, also agreeing that my speed is well below guaranteed minimum so why on earth do I need to accept liability for a service TalkTalk has failed to provide? Think about what you are asking from your customers, that's absurd. The fault is with Openreach and/or TalkTalk not my equipment or home. It is either the socket Openreach installed that is failing which could possibly have a bridge gap fault or degraded wiring or there is a problem at the exchange. By saying that I would potentially need to pay a fee, what would that exactly be for? all of this equipment belongs to Openreach or TalkTalk so why am I liable to pay for a potential issue that is your fault? seems very bizarre.

0 Likes

Message 23 of 40

Engineer charges are explained here - Engineers charges

If you are charged and you feel that the charges have been applied incorrectly then you can contest the charge and we'll look into it.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 24 of 40

I can accept the “potential” charges, but what do these involve? For example how can I be guaranteed that the issue (hypothetically) is within my property and not with Openreach equipment (FTTC) and falsely charged a fee?

0 Likes

Message 25 of 40

Your speed is below the guaranteed minimum for your line so we can arrange an engineer visit, and I agree that the most likely cause of  the slow speed is some issue with the line even though the line test is passing. But we do need you to confirm that you accept potential engineer charges before we can book the engineer

Chris

0 Likes

Message 26 of 40

Ok fine, let’s say I accept the “potential” charges. Why has throughput to my router decreased from when I was on Fibre 35. This question still hasn’t been answered nor looked into properly. Surely when you upgrade your package to fibre 65 you’d expect a higher DL/UL speed correct? Yes I know it depends on the distance between my home and the cabinet. I am an IT engineer and pretty confident the fault lies within Openreach equipment and not mine. I have tried several routers (including TT own supplied - Sagemcom and the older HG633) and cables to no avail. Tried switching router off for 30-35 mins to reset connection and allow DLM to make necessary changes to the line. Nothing has worked on my end so the fault lies within Openreach and TalkTalk. Either I was wrongly sold a package and lied to about guaranteed speed I would be getting or TalkTalk is borderline refusing to accept that the fault is external and not within my property. I have an Openreach socket 5C mk4 that was installed around 2018 and been working fine prior to the package upgrade to fibre 65. If i do not receive the service i was sold I will cancel with TalkTalk and move to a different ISP. The support and customer service I have has been diabolically bad and no one is willing to accept there is a fault somewhere within the line. Not forgetting to mention I was lied to by your CS agent regarding the Openreach engineer visit. 

0 Likes

Message 27 of 40

You wont be charged if the fault is to do with Openreach maintained equipment. I'm sorry but we can't book the engineer unless you accept potential engineer charges

Chris

0 Likes

kam96
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 40

Can someone sort something out because I am fuming with the current lack of communication and the woeful customer service I've received. I upgraded my contract a month ago and instead of improvement my line throughput has gotten worse, how is that even possible? clearly the fault is external and not internal as my network was running perfectly well on the previous fibre 35 package, line degradation only started once I "upgraded" to Fibre 65.

I will not accept any charges for a fault that is to do with Openreach poor infrastructure.

0 Likes

Message 29 of 40

That is not the case, when I spoke to him, he mentioned that an engineer would visit the area and have a look at the cabinet and would receive communication from Openreach a day before the visit which I did not receive. Why do I need to accept (potential) charges for a fault that is to do with TalkTalk / BT/Openreach? I am not getting a service that you guaranteed I would be getting. 

0 Likes

Message 30 of 40

The agent booked the engineer but it was for a non-appointed engineer, they had to do this because the line test results required them to do so. It looks as though Openreach did do something as the line test is now passing.

If you'd like us to book an engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 31 of 40

That is very bizarre. So one of your customer service agents clearly lied over the phone then. I am still having problems clearly as I am not getting the service that was sold and guaranteed to me. 

Yes please go ahead and raise with Openreach. 

The throughput I am getting is unacceptable and not what was guaranteed with TalkTalk when upgrading and renewing my contract nearly a month ago. I am paying for a service I am not getting. All that's been done basically is remove the cap on my previous contract with no change to my DL/UL speed... in fact it's actually worse than when I was on Fibre 35 when I was getting a steady and fixed 38mb/s download speed via Fast.com and speedtest.net.

kam96_0-1703075976028.png

0 Likes

Message 32 of 40

The fault was raised to Openreach on the 16th but is now showing cleared and closed. If you are still experiencing problems then we'll need to arrange another engineer visit?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 33 of 40

This was already confirmed over the phone with one of your CS representatives. I don't want to end up with 2 openreach engineers in my area or at my doorstep... I just haven't heard anything from Openreach as of yet. I called them on Saturday and the person I spoke to confirmed there was a problem somewhere on my line, either from the cabinet or in my home (openreach socket) this is when he said that an engineer from Openreach would need to take a look at the cabinet first to see if there is an issue there or at my home (or both).

Is there not a way of checking this on your system somewhere? 

0 Likes

Message 34 of 40

OK. To investigate further we'll need to arrange an engineer. If you'd like us to do this please let us know and we'll confirm some details with you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 35 of 40

Hi Chris, no, nothing at all. I have already done all these tests before you ask me to do them again... just to save both of us time.

0 Likes

Message 36 of 40

Hi kam96,

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service? Any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 37 of 40

Hi Debbie, I have added this in now. I spoke to TT customer service few days ago and was told openreach engineer would visit area and take a look at the fibre cabinet as there seems to be a problem somewhere - so far I have not heard anything from them. I am currently only getting about 34mb to the router from FTTC and 30-31mb to devices on LAN. It's well below the 43-45mb promised when upgrading and renewing TT contract to Fibre 65. I am getting worse DL and UL speed now than I was when I was on Fibre 35.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 38 of 40

Hi kam96

Please can you add your name and TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, we can then take a look at this for you.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 39 of 40

I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. Please try to avoid posting on here until TalkTalk has responded to you, otherwise, this will just put you further down the queue.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?