Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre speed question

3 REPLIES 3
Emma JV
First Timer

Hi 

I currently have 'Faster fibre' and my contract is up for renewal. I have done a speed check and get an average of 20-27 download speed and my connection often drops out then reconnects. If I upgrade to 'Superfast' 35 or 65 will this improve? I live in a village with a green fibre cabinet at the bottom of the hill about 1/2 a mile away but I believe it's just copper from there to my property as we have an old fashioned telegraph pole with cables going to about 6 houses so I'm not sure whether the current wires can deliver the promised speed or even if this is how it works. 

martswain
Philosopher

Fibre 35 is just the new name for what you currently have, so if you select that nothing changes apart from the name.

You are on a Fibre to the Cabinet service where the last part of the connection is over the phone line.

The length of that line determines your possible speed.

As you are not getting the full speed available on your product, which would be 40 Mbps download, it is obvious that you being sold Fibre 65 would be inappropriate although TalkTalk agents do offer it by mistake.

Service Center, available via the service status link at the top of the page will give you your minimum guaranteed speed.

Martin, just a customer trying to help.
Emma JV
First Timer

Thank you Martin, that's exactly what I thought and tried to explain that to the Talk Talk agent but he didn't understand. So do you think unless I go for a satellite dish i will be limited from any other provider as well? 

martswain
Philosopher

@Emma JV  if you stick to service over a phone line (FTTC) no other providers will be able to offer anything faster.

You can check here predicted speeds here

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

If real fibre (FTTP) is available in your area then faster speeds will be available.

TT offer this in some areas, it is named Future Fibre - Data Only and they do not offer a phone service at all.

I've no idea about satellite internet and the speeds offered, but I imagine it is a bit of a niche product and rather expensive.

Martin, just a customer trying to help.