cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Game Domain Suddenly Blocked?

sav25
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 8 of 8

UPDATE: This is now solved. Turns out my router DNS was set to 79.79.79.79 and this was causing the problem (something I learned here: https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre/Using-3rd-Party-DNS-do-not-use-the-talktalk-recommnded-79-...)

Following recommendation from other gamers and the post linked above, I changed my router's DNS to Cloudflare's (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 secondary) and everything is now working without the need for a VPN.

Hi

Tried to play World of Tanks this evening but the game won't load and I can't even access their website in a browser (https://worldoftanks.eu/), so i'm assuming this has been blocked by TalkTalk?

I've been at work all day and no one else in the home has access to change the router settings (or even knows how to). My computer is wired via Ethernet and all other websites work fine.

I can access the website from my phone connection with WiFi turned off, which also leads me to believe this is a TalkTalk change (with WiFi on, same issue, blocked).

Can anyone help? This site should not be blocked, it's just a game.

7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi sav25

How are you getting on, did you check HomeSafe?

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

Hi sav25

I'm sorry to hear this. 

Please can you check in My Account just to see if HomeSafe/KidsSafe has been set to come on at a certain time.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

Some staff will be around on Monday, @sav25, but not over the weekend, to follow up. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Ok this is weird, it's doing it again. I can't access the game or the game's website (same server). I have checked and other players are having no issues and it still works on my mobile data, so this can only be a TalkTalk issue right?

Chrome is reporting DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN which I believe is a DNS error on the TalkTalk side?

UPDATE 1: Just installed a VPN to test the theory further, and now it's working fine. I wonder why TalkTalk are blocking World of Tanks and how easily this is fixed, as I'll need to move ISP if I can't do basic legit stuff (I'd really prefer not to, never had an issue with TalkTalk up until now).

UPDATE 2: Seems I'm not alone, other players are seeing the same thing. I will try the DNS fix that is being suggested: https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldofTanks/comments/131lpef/wot_servers_down/

0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

Hi sav25

I'm glad to hear that this is now working. If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

sav25
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 6 of 8

Just tried this morning and it's now working fine. Weird as I could access everything from my phone (mobile data not WiFi) last night so their server was definitely up. Anyway, all fixed now - another mystery!

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 8

Hi sav25

Please can you log on into My Account and check to see if HomeSafe/KidsSafe has been switched on?

How to turn off homesafe - TalkTalk Help & Support