cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Huwaei HG633 Router needs reboot once a week

aedweeds
Visitor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 14

I have a TP-Link mesh system (main pod cabled to router) so WIFI turned off on the router as we use the pods around the house instead. Had this in place since 2019 with no issues. I also keep the pods up to date with firmware releases from tplink.

I have TalkTalk Fibre 65 and a Huwaei HG633 Router.

3 weeks ago all internet stopped but router internet light still flashing away happily as usual. 

Tried these steps:

1. Ran a speed check. Site wouldn't load naturally
    • Wired laptop to main pod using ethernet cable, no internet
    • Wired laptop to router using ethernet cable, no internet
  2. Changed ethernet cable from router to main pod
  3. Changed broadband cable from outlet to router
  4. Rebooted TPLink pods
  5. Turned off all TPLink pods at the plug. Went out for an hour, came back and turned main one on
  6. Turned rest of pods on (not sure why I did this step as if main not working none would)
  7. Turned off router and turned it on again
    • Wired laptop to router using ethernet cable, internet but very unstable. 
      • Opened speedchecker and it took ages to load. Got less than 1mbps download when it finally ran and that was after several attempts to press go due to bad connection
  8. Turned off router, waited over 20 mins, turned it on again
    • Hey presto everything working again.

The last two weeks I have turned off router, waited over 20 mins, turned it on again and it makes everything happy again so it is definitely the router.

BOT Help chat was useless. They wanted to reset my router to factory settings in the middle of my working day. I was only asking if my router needed a firmware update or if I needed a new one.

Anyone else had this issue and been sent a firmware upgrade to apply or given any other solution?

Ally 
0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

I've ordered a router, it should be with you within a couple of working days. Please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

I have tried using wifi on the router instead of the tp link pods and I have tried 3 different ethernet cables so I am sure it is the router but you never know! And this is the first time I have seen the light go off and then turn red but I haven't been next to it when it goes off. We can give it a try if you think it might help. 

I saw today there is a case open looking at issues in my area, I don't remember opening one, did you want to check that before sending out a router to try?

Ally 
0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. Would you like us to send a replacement router to rule this out? This would be the wifi hub router.

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

So it went again this morning around 0805. This time the light on the router went out then came back on red. Not seen that before but I haven't been sat next to it when it goes down. That's two days between downtimes. When the light came back on green I did a speedcheck and got 1Mbps. Turned it off and on again and then did another speedcheck and we are back up at 68Mbps.

I am wired to the router via ethernet since I did the factory reset, I only put the pods back on yesterday and turned the wifi off on the router.

Should I do another reset?

Ally 
0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

No problem. Just post back here if you still need assistance with this 🙂

Michelle

Message 6 of 14

Thanks. Answered my own question regarding connection to wifi hub. Its just a newer router with new name. Will check factory reset. It will probably be another week before it goes down again though so will report back next week.

Ally 
0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Hi,

You shouldn't need to do this very often. I've just checked with my colleague Karl and this should work on the Wifi Hub router.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 8 of 14

I mean factory reset.

Ally 
0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Ok, please let us know how you get on. If it's still happening then we can replace the router but this would be with a Wifi Hub instead.

How often is it needed if I haven't changed anything in the past few years?

Do you mean reboot the router?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

I will test the factory reset and try again. The line in is perfect, no issues there on any of the tests.

How often is it needed if I haven't changed anything in the past few years?

Ally 
0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Good afternoon,

Thank you. I've checked the router firmware and this has not recently changed and also has the most up to date version. I've also run a test on the line which is clear.

We no longer supply the HG633 routers. Did you have a chance to try factory resetting the router and then retest it again?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 12 of 14

All done

Ally 
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 13 of 14

Hello,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Michelle