cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Internet connection disconnecting and intermittent crackling on phone

johnny95
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 116 of 116

Hi,

My internet connection has been disconnecting for serval months. Recently it has got worse. I also have intermittent crackling on the phone. I was using the black Huawei hub and then the Sagemcom WiFi hub 2.

However they both were rebooting automatically. So I then tried a different setup with a router and modem. I used the BT Huawei Echolife HG612 provided by Talktalk a while ago, and a Eero Pro 6 router. The DSL on the modem did the same and kept dropping. I'm now using a Draytek Vigor 166 modem with the Eero Pro 6. Unfortunately this modem also dropped DSL. So it's fair to say it's the internet connection where the problem is.

I have now connected my modem to the test socket on the master socket. It's been connected for just over a week. As far as I know it hasn't dropped so far. I'm thinking it may be the faceplate on the socket that could be the problem? However I'm not 100% sure. It could be a line or exchange issue? I had an issue with the exchange over 10 years ago, where the filters needed replacing. Maybe it's the same issue, I'm not sure. 

As there has been so many disconnections my speed has dropped from 58Mbps to 44Mbps. I'm guessing the DLM has slowed it down? 

Please can you help,

Cheers,

John

0 Likes
115 REPLIES 115

Message 21 of 116

Thanks. I'll book the engineer and get back to you with the details

Message 22 of 116

Ok, Chris I’ve added my mobile. 

0 Likes

Message 23 of 116

Could you add your mobile number to your community profile and let us know when you've done this. We will then book the engineer (yes it will be an Openreach engineer)

Chris

Message 24 of 116

Ok cheers. Would this be an OpenReach engineer to look at the socket and line etc? I'd like an engineer visit then please.

I accept potential chargers 

PM 1pm to 6pm would be great

Not sure I should put up my number here?

0 Likes

Message 25 of 116

The type of engineer we book depends on the line test results. If the line test passes then it's always an appointed visit to the home (if it fails then it depends on  the type of fault found). If you'd like us to go ahead with the engineer visit Can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.
  • Confirm your mobile number

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 26 of 116

That would be great, however do you think it could still be an issue at the cabinet? Would it be possible for OpenReach to recheck if there is an issue there first?

I say this because I had an similar problem around 12 years ago, where an engineer went to the cabinet to fix the issue, but it was only a temporary fix and a second visit was needed which did fix it. The issues were the same as this. So this situation is ringing a bell. 

Thanks,

John.

0 Likes

Message 27 of 116

OK  thanks. The speed is just a little below the guaranteed minimum so we can arrange an engineer visit to see if there's anything further that can be done to improve the speed, would you like us to do this?

Chris

Message 28 of 116

Hi Chris,

It’s been fine. Still getting 45Mbps download. 

0 Likes

Message 29 of 116

Hi johnny95,

How has it been over the weekend?

Chris

Message 30 of 116

I’ve tested multiple routers and had the same issue so I'm sure it's not that. I’m currently using a new modem and a new Eero Pro 6 router. As the fault was at the cabinet recently it seems like it's the same issue.

0 Likes

Message 31 of 116

Thank you. It's still showing the loop fault. Have we recently tested with a different router too?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 32 of 116

Ok back in the test socket.

Message 33 of 116

Ok I'll do it now. I'll let you know in the next 5 mins when it's done.

0 Likes

Message 34 of 116

Hello,

If it's convenient to move the router to the test socket now, then yes please.

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 35 of 116

I guess so. Should I do that now? Shall I give it a couple of minutes before switching the router on?

0 Likes

Message 36 of 116

Hi John,

Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear this. I've re-run the line tests now and it's detecting a loop fault, which could be why DLM is not increasing the speed again. Loop faults are usually caused by internal wiring or a piece of equipment connected to the line. I know you've previously tested at the test socket, but would it be possible to connect the microfilter, router and phone back at the test socket so we can re-run the line test again in this set up?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 37 of 116

Hi Michelle,

It was fine yesterday and today so far. I'm still getting 45Mbps download. Chris mentioned that the error count was low. So I'm wondering when the DLM is going to increase my profile?

Cheers,

John

0 Likes

Message 38 of 116

Morning,

How have you found the connection over the last 48hrs?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 40 of 116

Yep, the DSL light on the modem was flashing and I briefly lost connection until it reconnected. I did hear some crackling again on the phone line earlier too. I'll keep monitoring it and see what happens over the next few days. Hopefully it stays stable and the speed increases. 

0 Likes