cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Line speed

Srooi
Participant
Private Message
Message 34 of 34

Hi There

My line speed to my router has dropped from 37mbps to around 27 mbps in the last 5 weeks, I know we had some power problems that meant my router kept rebooting many times in a 24 hour period, I think this leads to automatic profile changes as the thought is the line is instable, how can I get my profile checked and settings changed as I see no easy way to speak to anyone in the technical team?

Tia

Steve

0 Likes
33 REPLIES 33

Message 1 of 34

Hi Ally

Many thanks for the information, so I took a look at the SNR details and can see that I have 6 and 5db near and far end which isn't great as you most probably know.

Downstream            Upstream                
Actual Rate27400Kbps6195Kbps
Attainable Rate28721Kbps6195Kbps
Path ModeFastFast
Interleave Depth11
Actual PSD6. 0dB12. 6dB

Near End                 Far End                   
TrellisONON
BitswapONON
ReTx0 1 
SNR Margin6dB5dB
Attenuation23dB32dB
CRC451971
FECS0s273705s
ES1s48878s
SES0s34s
LOSS0s10s
UAS28s89427s
HEC Errors00
RS Corrections00
LOS Failure00
LOF Failure00
LPR Failure00
NCD Failure00
LCD Failure00
NFEC18432
RFEC816
LYSMB163316

Anyway will battle on with the slow line, as it is above the 25mbps that you guys guarantee and give it a bit more time to see if the speed increases as you have mentioned.

Thanks

Steve

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 34

@Srooi ,

It is of course your own personal choice if you wish to move to a different ISP,  but I'm a bit puzzled as to what you hope or expect to achieve by doing so.

The DLM on FTTC services is controlled by Openreach, and ISPs have no way of resetting or changing the profiles.  A DLM reset can usually only be done by an Openreach engineer after they have fixed a fault. Other than that it is probably just a case of waiting for the DLM to increase the speed over time if the connection remains stable. Just to give you an example, my parents (who are with BT) had a similar issue a little while back and it was a matter of several weeks before the DLM started to increase the line profile back up.

I'm not sure if switching ISP will automatically trigger a DLM reset (if that's what you are thinking will happen), but even if it does there's no guarantee that you won't end up in the same situation again in the future with a different ISP. You said it was caused by "power problems" at your property which are outwith the control of your ISP.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 34

Hi Steve,

If you change your mind about the visit just let us know and we'll book it for you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 34

Hi Debbie

Not worth the hassle, fairly confident there's not a lot wrong with the line but the profile that's been applied to my line due to the fact the router restarted many times in a short period, obviously thinks the line is unstable which it's not, I will just move to another ISP when my contract ends soon. My previous 2 ISP's all gave around 37mbps (Sky and BT). 

Thanks

Steve

0 Likes

Message 5 of 34
0 Likes

Message 6 of 34

Hi Michelle

Is there a charge for this?
Thanks
0 Likes

Message 7 of 34

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. If you've already tested with 2 different routers at the test socket then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. If you'd like to go ahead with this then please let us know and we can confirm some details with you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 34

Hi Michelle

No change still only getting 27 to the router which is well down on what the line is capable of.

Thanks

Steve

0 Likes

Message 9 of 34

Morning,

How have you found the connection/speed over the weekend?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 34
0 Likes

Message 11 of 34

Of course, no problem Debbie, have a nice weekend!

Message 12 of 34

Hi Steve

Would it be ok to leave the router in this set up over the weekend and if the speed still hasn't increased by Monday then the next step will be an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 13 of 34

Hi Debbie

Connection has been totally stable (always has been) still only getting 27400 line to the router though.

Steve

0 Likes

Message 14 of 34

Hi Steve

I can't see re connections on the line, has the connection remained stable when using it?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 34

Hi Steve

Thank you. I will check the connection stats again on Friday and I will post back on this thread.

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes

Message 16 of 34

socket2.jpg

Message 17 of 34

Hi Debbie

Sure just need to get a filter as I have mentioned this has a built in filter however I have a new filter so all done.

Shows same line speed as before but lets wait and see :0)

Really appreciate your help, hopefully we can get back to the 36-38mbps I know the line can supply not the 27 I'm getting now.

Steve

Message 18 of 34

Hi Srooi

That's great thank you.

Would it be ok to connect the filter, phone and router at the test socket for 48hrs to see if DLM starts to make changes to the line profile/speed whilst in this set up?

0 Likes

Message 19 of 34

I have connected the phone directly to it and have dial tone

Message 20 of 34

socket.jpg

 Not sure if this is what you mean, only socket available :0)