cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Resetting an additional router's password.

Tarl72
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 15

Hi all,

I've been given a spare TalkTalk WiFi Hub (Device Version DG8041W-2 T5) but I can't access the 192.168.1.1 admin page as the previous owner seems to have changed the password or username. I want to add the hub to my existing network hub (FAST 5364-2 T8) as a range extender for some smart plugs. I tried a factory reset, without success. I CAN connect anything I want to the hub (wirelessly or wired) and can access the internet through it perfectly, I just want to be able to perform some security maintenance. 

I cannot ask the previous owner for the details for two reasons, a) to say she had the memory of a sieve, would be an understatement, and, unfortunately b) she died last month.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

No problem, sorry we couldn't help further

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 15

Hi again,

It's a bit disappointing, but I think you're probably right. I guess the hub's just e-waste now, I'll have to save up for a replacement.

Many thanks for everyone's help.

Tarl.

Message 3 of 15

That doesn't sound right, if  the light is white it's showing the router is connected to the internet so we would expect the connection to drop for a short time, perhaps the router is faulty

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 15

Hi Chris,

Just pressed the reset button for about 40 seconds and tried to access the admin site without any luck. One thing I did notice though, when I pressed the button, the broadband light stayed on throughout, only flickering off then straight to white when I released the button. Is this normal? I did feel the button 'click' when pressed.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 15
0 Likes

Message 6 of 15

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for that, I'll give the factory reset another go and see if it was just me being a bit dim.

Tarl.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 15

Hi Tarl72,

Resetting the router to factory default settings should reset the router password. I don't really know what else to suggest, ordinarily in this situation if resetting the router doesn't resolve the issue we would just send a replacement

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 15

Hi,

Yes, that's correct. 'my' one works perfectly, but the additional one doesn't (ish!). I can connect through it to the internet, but can't connect to the management site (192.168.1.1). I know it's not under any kind of warranty, but I'd love to be able to get the password(s) updated as I don't know who else, other than my friend,  had them.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

Hello,

Can I just confirm, your original TT router is working fine but the router you received from a friend won't work?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 10 of 15

Hi Michelle,

Unfortunately, I've hit a brick wall. When I tried swapping the hub I could access any site I wanted, except 192.168.1.1 I tried restarting the router and my PC and doing a fresh factory reset, but eventually gave in. I'm just hoping I don't get hacked lol.

Tarl. 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 15

Morning,

How are you getting on?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 12 of 15

OK, maybe try using it as the single/primary router to get the login sorted?

0 Likes

Message 13 of 15

Hi there,

Unfortunately, it didn't work. I just get a message that the "credentials do not match". I'm thinking that the admin password is stored on the TT server, rather than on the hub itself(?).

Could it be a problem with me having a Fast hub as well as this one?

TT.png
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 15

If you can do a factory reset of the router it should default back to the username and password as printed on the label on the back. 

0 Likes