cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Router speed gradually declining

EmmaJ6
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 12

On 10 October the road next to us had a 6 hour internet outage and we had a brief disruption. Since then the speed on my FTTC connection has gone from a constant 36Mbps over the years I have had fibre broadband with several providers gradually down to 7Mbps and still reducing.
I was migrated from Shell and had always had brief drops in connection since I moved to them, so thought the router might be at fault but the situation has got worse with a new TalkTalk router. The speed doesn't fluctuate at peak times, it is gradually being turned down.
I have of course, phoned and chatted and wasted many hours going through the same questions whilst "support" agents rattle through their scripts without resolving anything. One "support" agent said 8Mbps was what I should be expecting, which is obviously incorrect when we have always had a constant 36Mbps with FFTC and 8Mbps would be only acceptable with a basic internet connection. TalkTalk's own dashboard shows that I was getting 39Mbps before the outage. It also shows the minimum acceptable speed as 0Mbps which is ludicrous.
Twice apparently engineers have rectified the fault but of course nothing changed. I have an engineer booked to come to the house but just wondered if anyone else has had this problem. Obviously I have checked the cables and restarted the router but have never had this problem before with any other provider.  I suspect throttling/load balancing as more houses are being built in the immediate area so I assume capacity will have to be spread out but my neighbours are still on 30+Mbps.

REP-14852539 [ET-962498] REP-14885191

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi EmmaJ6

It's ok, please let me know when the team have made contact and how you get on.

Eventually we will be able to fully support Shell migrated customers on the Community too.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

Thank you for that Debbie

I have restarted my laptop, reset the router and am back to speeds of 8Mbps, but hopefully the engineer can find the fault and get the speed back up to a constant 36Mbps.  

0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

Hi @EmmaJ6 

I have contacted the team and escalated this. I've requested that they contact you ASAP.

I've provided them with all the information and asked for them to cancel the TT engineer and arrange for this fault to be passed to Openreach.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

Hi Debbie

I have contacted them that way several times and it takes ages! Can you escalate the engineer's visit please? I don't have the mental strength to go through all the standard questions each time and explaining the situation for the umpteenth time only to be transferred to another agent!!

Btw the TT dashboard is showing a speed of 8Mbps but when I do an internet speed test it shows up as under 2Mbps. Why the discrepancy? It used to tally.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

Hi @EmmaJ6 

It's ok, thanks for confirming.

As you have migrated over from Shell we have a dedicated team who investigate these faults.

I will send you a Private Message with a link to contact the team directly.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

Hi Debbie

Yes they did, but not for another week and I might not have any internet speed left by then!

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

Hi @EmmaJ6 

Thanks for confirming. Did our Faults Team arrange a TT engineer with you?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

Hi Debbie, yes the TalkTalk router is connected to the FFTC socket at the moment

0 Likes

Message 9 of 12

Morning @EmmaJ6 

Thanks for updating your Community Profile 🙂

The line test has detected a potential fault.  Can I just check, is the router connected at the test socket at the moment?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 12

Thank you for getting back to me Debbie.  I have updated my profile.

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 11 of 12

Hi @EmmaJ6 

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Please can you add your name and TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, we can then take a look at this for you.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes