cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Sporadic speed drops and unstable connection

lockedoutagain
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 25

I'm on Faster Fibre Broadband with a guaranteed minimum of 50mbps. I've almost never reached that speed but it's been steady at about 40 so I can live with that. However, for a while now I've been experiencing dips in speed and things are slowly getting worse - sometimes it's down to 4mbps. Restarting the hub seems to bring it back up to the 30-40 range. Sometimes it goes to sleep, things buffer, then it springs back to life.

Last week I did an online connection test and it said there was a problem, and it booked an engineer. I then got an email to say it was fixed. I didn't notice any change. I couldn't run another connection test because it said my fault was fixed, so I've left it a week. I've just run a connection test and it says that it suspects an issue with my broadband and wants to put me through the whole diagnostic/book an engineer process again.

I'm currently out of contract and considering whether to sign up for another 18 months. I can't really be bothered to switch but is this fixable?

Hub is connected directly to a new type wall socket, my laptop is connected to hub via ethernet.

BTW if I check packages available to me on the talktalk home page it now only offers a guaranteed 6.6mbps to my address (but I still get the offer to renew the existing faster fibre contract when I log in).

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 1 of 25

Thanks for the update, hopefully there were will be a speed improvement over the next few days if the connection remains stable

Chris

Message 2 of 25

Hi Chris,

Yes it's all stabilised here since engineer visit on Tuesday. Still not up to the guaranteed minimum but no line drops that I've noticed, and no buffering/freezing. 👍

Router speedRouter speed

MeasuredMeasured

0 Likes

Message 3 of 25

Hi lockedoutagain,

Line test is clear, is everything OK at your end

Chris

Message 4 of 25

Morning,

Thanks for the update and we'll re-check the connection stats on Friday just to ensure that the tests are still clear and that speed and stability have remained consistent.

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

Message 5 of 25

Thank you Karl,

all good this morning 😊

0 Likes

Message 6 of 25

Hi

The DLM data will have cleared so it may take 24 - 48hrs for the line to fully stabilise as the system applies different profiles to find the correct balance between speed and stability.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 25

Engineer just called me, he says he found physical damage to the underground cable and has repaired it. He said not to switch the router off for the next week or so as the cabinet will be negotiating the speed over that time. I just did a speed check, it's not 50mbps but I think its as good as it has ever been. The main thing is stability for me, zoom calls were becoming unusable.

After the engineerAfter the engineer

0 Likes

Message 8 of 25

Thank you Michelle. The openreach engineer knocked on our door at about 12 (that was quick!). He says there are problems at another house in the lane and suspects our problems are linked. We have no connection at the moment (14:30), he is still working on it. I’ll update you when he goes. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 25

Morning,

I'm really sorry to hear this. Both line tests are now indicating a potential fault so I've passed this straight over to Openreach now to complete an external line investigation. We'll keep checking for updates on the fault and will post back here as soon as we know more.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 25

Hi, sorry been busy for a while. Getting worse here now. Before the speed might drop to 4-5mbps and come back to maybe 25mbps after restarting the router, now I am seeing line drops, the router showing a flashing orange light. If I leave it comes back but it's very unstable. I tried your suggestion of switching off for 30 mins, it came back up at about 25mbps then the line dropped within 5 mins and the router reported no internet connection.

So basically it is becoming unusable for anything except occasional light browsing and email.

Here's the current situation:

Speed after 30 minutes switch offSpeed after 30 minutes switch off

0 Likes

Message 11 of 25

Morning,

Just checking in to see how you're getting on?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 25

Morning,

When the sync speed increases but the throughput speeds remain low then we usually advise powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then retesting again, as this will reset the current session and can often increase the throughput speeds.

Thanks

Message 13 of 25

Thank you Michelle.

Interesting that Talktalk thinks that my speeds are getting better - I'm not seeing these numbers on my router:

Talktalk measured speedsTalktalk measured speeds

RouterRouter

0 Likes

Message 14 of 25

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. There are planned engineering works happening at the moment so I will re-check your connection stats later on this afternoon and will post back with an update then.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 15 of 25

Hi, Haven't managed to source a telephone yet, might have to wait till the weekend. Today has been bad, lots of drop outs, speed tested at 0.4mbps so rebooted the router and it now tells me my download speed is 28mbps. The Talktalk speedtest says 24mbps to my device (wired laptop) but it seems to vary a lot and the first time I ran it it couldn't connect to the server.

It's a bit annoying as I am working at home 😞 

0 Likes

Message 16 of 25

Morning,

Just checking in to see how you're getting on?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 17 of 25
0 Likes

Message 18 of 25

I'll see if I can get hold of one and get back to you 👍

0 Likes

Message 19 of 25

Hello,

Would it be possible to borrow a phone/handset for testing purposes to confirm or rule this out please, as a voice issue can affect the broadband connection and we would need to raise this first?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 20 of 25

Thanks for your reply. We don't have a phone to test the voice socket with unfortunately, we only use mobile.

Before the engineer callout last week yes the speed would sometimes drop to and stick at about 4mbps but instantly went to about 40 if I rebooted the router. I haven't had the opportunity to test it this week, I'm just noticing that sometimes films will buffer or the smart speaker go silent for a short while then come back.

(TV is on a Powerline connection, Smart speaker is ethernet connected to a Deco mesh unit).  

0 Likes