cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Whit light but no internet connection

Jamwint71
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 42 of 42

Hiya, my router has a solid white light but both my devices I use says no internet but they both connect ok! 
do I need a new router? 

James winter
0 Likes
41 REPLIES 41

Message 1 of 42

Ah thank you Michelle & yes I sure will let you know. 
thank you also for your kind help, it really is very much appreciated 👌

James winter
0 Likes

Message 2 of 42

Good morning,

I'm really sorry to hear this and please let us know how you get on following the engineer visit.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 3 of 42

Hiya Michelle, 

still no change, Keith has been a great help & has said it’s probably internet interference. He has given me links to try and sort out why it’s happening but I’ve virtually got no data left on my phone to do the tasks. 
I’ve got an engineer coming to my property this Friday so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that he can come up with a solution as it’s been 3 weeks now with no internet 😩

James winter
0 Likes

Message 4 of 42

Morning,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 5 of 42

Aaahhhhhhh that’s fab. With having no Wi-Fi I’m running really low on mobile data. I’ll try and do it asap 

James winter
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 42

Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you. I will send a PM to you that contains a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference. It is quite long (about 30 pages), but you will probably only need to look at three or four pages in total. Initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This is the first link in the table of contents. This section includes full details of free Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Select the analyser of your choice & my guide explains how to use it.

If you are using Wi-Fi Scanner, then please attach the zip file to this thread. As soon as I have downloaded it, I will remove the attachment from your post, to preserve your privacy.

With all other analysers, please follow my instructions below.

Collect the screenshots that I require and include them in your reply.

Please post the screenshots to me in a PM (to protect your privacy), which I have requested in my guide. No photos please as they can be difficult to read, because the text can get out of focus when zoomed in. Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 42

Hiya, sorry for the late reply, I work night shifts & had already gone to bed. 
but yes that sounds great, I’m willing to try anything to sort the issue out. 
I’ve got an engineer coming out next Friday but if I can get it sorted before then, then happy days. 
thank you so much for your time & effort. I really do appreciate it. 

James winter
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 42

OK thanks for that, WiFi interference is the only thing I think now.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers a lot more from interference than the much faster 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 42

Hiya Keith. My router has been in the same position for the last 6 years. 
it sits alone in the hallway not near anything not near any windows. 
I don’t have a PC or cordless phone

James winter
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 42

Hi @Jamwint71 

Then this sounds more like a WiFi interference or router location issue. As it seems to affect everything, let's check out the router location. Where is it currently?

This is the best router location, but obviously, this is not always practical & a compromise has to be reached.

The general rule is to keep it away from:-

1. Cordless phone (DECT) base stations
  2. TVs
  3. Loudspeakers & any sub-woofers (including those used with a PC)
  4. Computer monitors
  5. Electrical appliances – they often transmit their own signals that can interfere with Wi-Fi signals.
  6. Bluetooth devices – they operate on the same Wi-Fi frequency as your broadband, which can cause signal problems.
  7. Mirrors – they actually reflect Wi-Fi signals, stopping them from passing through walls and reflecting them back into the room.
  8. Anything containing large amounts of water – things like fish tanks and boilers can absorb Wi-Fi signals like a sponge.
  9. Large metal objects – radiators, for instance, will have the same effect on your Wi-Fi as mirrors. If you have a tower PC case with an internal WiFi card, the metal of the case can block signals to & from the antennae if they are located behind the tower case.
  10. Glass - different types of glass can cause problems for Wi-Fi signals to pass through:-
  1. Thick window glass or glazing can block Wi-Fi signals.
  2. Low-emissivity (Low-E) windows have a metallic film that can reflect and block Wi-Fi signals more than clear glass.
  3. Tinted glass often has a metallic film that can interfere with radio signals.
  4. K glass double glazing has a metal vapour coating that can reduce Wi-Fi signal strength by 30-50%.

If you are using a USB Wi-Fi adapter, use a USB socket on the front of the PC, as there is more open space around it than at the rear. If a USB extension cable is used, try to ensure that it is fairly short, so that the power from the computer is not attenuated. Long extension cables can cause the adapter to not have enough power from the computer to work correctly.

If this does not resolve the issues then we will need to look into WiFi interference.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 11 of 42

Hiya Keith, it’s a TTSCOMFAST5364. 
At first I thought it was a router issue so TalkTalk sent me a new one last Friday. But i still have the same issues. 
yes I’ve tried the reset and no joy 

James winter
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 42

Hi @Jamwint71 

This is quite a long thread & I do not have time to read back over everything as I am busy with quite a few complex issues currently. Which TalkTalk router are you using?

This can be caused by WiFi interference, but as no device has internet access, I think that either there is a configuration error in the router, or it might be faulty. Please can you try a factory reset of the router's configuration?

However, the fact that your last screenshot showed that the speed to devices is poor, it may well yet be WiFi interference.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 13 of 42

IMG_6310.png

I done a connection test last week and this is what it said 

James winter
0 Likes

Message 14 of 42

IMG_6311.png

Yes I’ve just done that & it hasn’t made a difference sadly. 
I’ve been looking on other posts that had the same issue & someone wrote this. 
I’ve no idea what it all means 🤣 but you might 🤷🏻‍♂️🤞

James winter
0 Likes

Message 15 of 42

Message 16 of 42

IMG_6322.png

This is what my phone says…

James winter
0 Likes

Message 17 of 42

Have you tried forgetting the wireless network on the device and then tried re-adding it again?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 18 of 42

Hiya, no sadly I don’t have a phone connected. 
it’s all just very baffling. I’ve been with TalkTalk for about 6 years and I’ve never had an issue. It’s been so reliable. 

James winter
0 Likes

Message 19 of 42

Morning,

Thank you. I've run some more tests on the line which are all clear and the line is showing in sync and authenticated. Do you have a phone connected to the voice service? If so then could you dial 17070 from your home phone and confirm if it reads back your correct telephone number? Please do not post any personal information on the Community.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 20 of 42

Hi Michelle, yes it’s on now 😃

James winter
0 Likes