FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Hub connection speed keeps dropping...

GrahamSines
First Timer
Message 6 of 6

Before I quit TalkTalk due to the lack of available assistance (Phone or Chat) Has anyone had and resolved the following issue...

On a good day my TalkTalk Huawei HG633 wireless router will deliver data to my computer at approx 60mbps. However it has developed the habit of suddenly dropping that rate to below 9mbps.  This means that it is interfering with my work and enjoyment of TV viewing etc.  Unless I intervene the speed will not increase.  It is just like someone is standing on the hose!!  The only way to overcome the 'erm blockage is to use a pin on the reset button and reset the router. Once the re-set is complete the speed mysteriously returns to 40 plus mbps.  It is not acceptable to have to do this two or three times per day.  When the blockages occur all the green lights stay lit as normal.  A line test provided by TalkTalk last night indicates that all is ok between the exchange and my home.

Has anyone come up with a foolproof way to maintain speed with the HG633 Router?????

If only TalkTalk had a viable help service!!!

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

SocialTeamBecky
Support Team
Message 1 of 6

Hi GrahamSines,

I'm sorry to read about the problems you've been having with your speeds, I've taken a look at your connection and I can see a potential issue. We'll just need to carry out some internal checks with you to try to isolate where the issue lies, would you be able to let me know which type of socket you have, please? Please take a look here.

Thanks,

Becky 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

This evening the speed test showed download speed of 10.3mbps so I had to go and switch the router off and on yet again, This took the speed back up to  36.7mbps.  See attached screen shot

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

I have not had a call from any member of  staff at Talk Talk. I have just tried calling your customer service number 0345 172 0088 and having offered broad band speed as my problem I was informed that you would do a speed test.  That was very nice but the resulting text (which confirms there is a problem with my Talk Talk router) just directed me back to the service centre, meaning that I am going round in circles.

A short while ago the speed from the router dropped again without warning causing web pages to stop loading. I went and turned the power off on the router (yet again) and when the connection resumed the speed test showed a speed of 2.8mbps.  Please see the attached snip from that test.  The speed has now improved to 36mbps.  My lap top about 5 feet away from the router.

36mpbs between the router and our computers etc would be fine if the speed wasn't regularly dropping.  It is as though  a sudden conflict is causing the flow of data to cease, and the only way to overcome it is to switch off or re-boot the router. This is now happening on an almost daily basis.  The router is now around 10 years old as we weren't given a new router when we moved to our current address, I wonder whether you would be so as to send us a replacement router to eliminate the possibility that a defect has developed in the router.

When the problem strikes it effects all equipment that is linked to the router.

Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 6
I have added my TalkTalk landline and my mobile number to my to my community forum profile as requested.
0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 5 of 6

Phone help is available: 03451 720046

Chat: https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

Don't repeatedly reset the router. Overall it will lead to further reduced speeds. 

If you need staff help on the forum, please add your Talktalk landline number to your community forum profile details for them to identify your account. 

Go via your avatar/name; settings; Profile Wizard. 

It could take a couple of days or so for staff to reach your thread. Please look out for their reply or post back if you get a resolution meanwhile, @GrahamSines.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes