cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Work laptop connects to wifi but no internet

rlcraig
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 30 of 30

Hi,

A few months back I started having an issue on my work laptop (Windows) when I worked from home. It would connect to my wifi but show as having no internet connection. My IT team tried all sorts, rebuilding the laptop, overriding the IP address preferences etc but had no luck. In the end they gave me a brand new laptop which seemed to work fine until last week when the same issue began happening again.

Since the issue reoccurred my IT team tried a full rebuild of my laptop which seemed to work temporarily as I could connect to the internet via wifi in the evenings this week. However this morning I tried working remotely and there was no connection again.

They have tried uninstalling security software/VPNs to see if that was causing the issue but that didn’t help either. They have also flushed the DNS servers to no avail. They are now about to suggest that I get another new machine and see if the issue persists, but I am worried that it will look fine but then begin playing up in a few months time.

The strangest thing is that my wifi works fine on all other devices. My partner also works from home (on a Mac) and has no internet issues whatsoever using our wifi. My IT team are running out of ideas and don’t seem to know the root cause.

Does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be?

0 Likes
29 REPLIES 29

Message 21 of 30

Hi rlcraig

Yes of course. I can do this on Monday 24th, will this be ok?

0 Likes

Message 22 of 30

Please could you send it when we return to be sure that someone will be in?

0 Likes

Message 23 of 30

Hi rlcraig

We advise to allow 24-48hrs for the router to arrive.

Would you like me to order this now or wait until you have returned from holiday?

0 Likes

Message 24 of 30

Yes please. How quickly would it arrive? Only because I am going to be on holiday from 14th-22nd July.

0 Likes

Message 25 of 30

Hi rlcraig

Ok, I think we should send a replacement router for testing. Would you like me to arrange this?

0 Likes

Message 26 of 30

Yes no issues on any other devices. Two mobiles and two other laptops are connecting with no issues.

Message 27 of 30

Hi rlcraig

Is this only affecting your work laptop? Are other devices connecting ok?

0 Likes

Message 28 of 30

Hi Debbie,

I’ve just tried this and when I logged back onto my laptop it did briefly connect to the internet however it then dropped off. It has now gone back to showing that it is connected to my TalkTalk wifi but with no internet. 

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 29 of 30

Hi rlcraig

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've checked and your router has the latest firmware version which should work ok with VPN.

Can I just check, have recently powered down your router for a full 30 minutes?

0 Likes