cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Eero slow wifi

dannyhaylett
Team Player
Private Message
Message 32 of 32

On the 14th, I went live and received two Eero Pro 6 boxes, but I'm experiencing slow performance despite having a 900Mbps package. When connected wirelessly, my devices are only getting speeds between 30Mbps to 120Mbps, making it difficult for me to play Xbox games on the cloud. However, when I use a wired connection, I get speeds just over 900Mbps. My home is small, measuring only 58m2, and the rooms are adjacent to each other, with each room being roughly 3.4m2. Despite placing the second Eero in the middle, which is only 6 meters away from my Xbox, there has been no improvement in the wireless speed.

I need assistance as I followed the setup video, which was quite simple. The Eero app reports that I am receiving full speed. However, when I connect my second Eero box to my Xbox via a wired connection, I get speeds of 900Mbps. Additionally, I have attempted troubleshooting but unfortunately, I have had no luck in improving the slow wireless speeds.

Danny Haylett
0 Likes
31 REPLIES 31

Message 1 of 32

Hi Danny,

I've sent you a PM to confirm some details so that we can provide the information the you have requested

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

dannyhaylett
Team Player
Private Message
Message 2 of 32

My speeds have hit rock bottom tonight (30Mbps) and my Nat type has magically changed to moderate what ever that means.

Danny Haylett
0 Likes

Message 3 of 32

Despite all devices being switched off and only having a 108Mbps wireless connection.

Connecting through a wired connection to the second eero enables me to achieve the maximum speed, It is peculiar because this indicates that the eeros are capable of transmitting data at maximum speed to each other, but not to any other devices.

An engineer will be relocating the box from my kitchen to my living room in a few days. Can you kindly remind me of the scheduled date, as I am unable to recall it at the moment?

Danny Haylett
0 Likes

Message 4 of 32

It's strange, speeds to the eero are 900Mbps which is supported by the speeds at the wired device. Could you try switching off all wireless device except one and then try another speed test. Please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 5 of 32

Only getting about 130Mbps across devices  at the moment which is a little better but not what I'm paying for.

Danny Haylett
0 Likes

Message 6 of 32

Hi Danny,

What is the performance like at the moment?

Chris

Message 7 of 32

It's on all wireless devices , my phone, my laptop, my tablet, my xbox.

Danny Haylett
0 Likes

Message 8 of 32

Hello,

Can I just confirm, do you only experience the slow speeds on the Xbox or on all wireless devices?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 32

As per the lady on the phone's guidance(told me to do the same 30 minute restart), she attempted to activate the necessary feature on her end. However, despite her efforts, the wireless connection is still not delivering the expected speeds, even though the router is reporting the correct speed.

No luck.

Danny Haylett
0 Likes

Message 10 of 32

Thanks for the information, I've found the account. The speeds to the eero's do look to be fine. Could you try switching both eeros off and leave them off for 30 minutes, then switch back on and retest. Please let us know if there's any improvement

Chris

0 Likes

dannyhaylett
Team Player
Private Message
Message 11 of 32

I have now added my name and address as requested.

Danny Haylett
0 Likes

Message 12 of 32

Thanks for the information, could you also please add the name of the account holder to the private notes section of your community profile

(If you are concerned about anything you've previously posted you should be able to edit the post)

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 32

In the private notes section, I have included my order number and account number.
"Can you please check if I have shared any information in the previous post that could potentially reveal my identity? I am receiving random messages on Xbox from people trying to DDoS me, and Reddit user's has notified me about it."

Danny Haylett
0 Likes

Message 14 of 32

Do you have an order number? If you do could you add it to the private notes section of your community profile 

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 32

We received an email from TalkTalk notifying us that our service is now live, but we are unsure who was responsible for making it go live. Prior to this, we had BT 400mbs, but our service was terminated due to breach of service caused by an engineer who fabricated lies about us. The service was installed by Openreach.

Note for some reason this account is linked to a old TalkTalk account which is no longer active.

Danny Haylett
0 Likes

Message 16 of 32

Hi Danny,

Can I just ask, was the service installed by City Fibre?

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 32

I am no expert on the Eero, but the two of them should connect ver a third WiFi band known as the 5GHz backhaul network. This is not the same as the 5GHz band that you are using for your devices and could very well be using a different channel. However, as you do not think it is WiFi interference, now that the TalkTalk staff are back, I'll let them investigate it. I will ask them to do this for you now.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 18 of 32

We don't have any electrical appliances in the vicinity of the eero boxes as we lead a minimalist lifestyle. Social workers have previously referred to our home as sparsely furnished.

I don't think it's a Wi-Fi interference issue either because when I connect the Ethernet cable to the second eero, I get full internet speed. The second eero receives its internet connection wirelessly from the main eero. 
It's worth noting that I live in a street primarily designed for retirement, housing elderly and disabled people. Hardly anyone down here has internet, and I know for a fact that my neighbors only have access to TV services, not broadband.

My previous service provider didn't face any problems with the same setup at this location, Buying additional eero units wouldn't solve the issue as the house is already quite small.To give you an idea of the size of the house, each of my rooms is only 3.4 meters wide with a hallway, making the total width of the house no more than about 7 meters.

I can try the guide but i doubt it will help, thank you for trying.

Danny Haylett
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 32

OK, the only other things then are:-

1. Electrical interference - any electrical equipment that is in close proximity to the Eero node you are connected to.
  2. WiFi interference with which I can help a lot.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Whilst the Eero is supposed to manage Wi-Fi interference, if this is very bad, particularly in the 2.4GHz band, then it cannot do anything about it, no router can. The same goes for any router at that point. Other things that may then need to be investigated are its location within your property and the WiFi bands that you use. It is possible that you may also need to purchase additional Eero nodes as it is supposed to operate as part of a mesh system. I can help with any of this. However, I would suggest that you follow my help to find out what the root cause of the problem is, before throwing money at it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 20 of 32

I have noticed that when I connect my laptop to the eero, I get a speed of around 500mbps without any issues. When I connect my Xbox Series X to the eero, I am able to achieve the full 940mbps speed that I am paying for. This is quite impressive and makes me happy but suggests that the issue with slow speed is related to wireless connectivity.

I understand your suggestion about using the laptop, and I truly appreciate your assistance.

Tracing route to google.co.uk [142.250.179.227]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms 192.168.4.1
2 28 ms 14 ms 13 ms host-92-12-32-1.as13285.net [92.12.32.1]
3 15 ms 14 ms 15 ms ae50-ner002.loh.as13285.net [78.144.1.23]
4 17 ms 18 ms 16 ms ae50-scr102.loh.as13285.net [78.144.1.22]
5 15 ms 16 ms 15 ms host-78-144-4-35.as13285.net [78.144.4.35]
6 14 ms 14 ms 15 ms 209.85.248.229
7 13 ms 13 ms 14 ms 142.251.54.25
8 15 ms 14 ms 14 ms lhr25s31-in-f3.1e100.net [142.250.179.227]

Trace complete.

I have just conducted another speed test, and the result is 164, which is significantly different from the earlier test. This inconsistency in the speed test results happens all day long, and there is no consistency. https://www.speedtest.net/result/14620114749
One more https://www.speedtest.net/result/14620133011 

Danny Haylett
0 Likes