cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Full fibre - download speed now saying 5 months!

Bruno2006
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 56 of 56

The Wi-Fi connection is barely making it to 1mb when downloading even though the plan states that there is supposed to be around 152mb instead, the previous plan was able to reach 4mb even though the Wi-Fi plan was worse

The main issue is that download speeds are significantly lower than advertised and we would like to know if there are any ways to solve the issue or if there is anything stopping the Wi-Fi from reaching the speeds it is supposed to reach

0 Likes
55 REPLIES 55

Bruno2006
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 56

away to browse Cat 6 Ethernet cables Keith. Cheers! 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 56

Hi @Bruno2006 

Yes, that location is the most likely reason for your trouble. However, it is quite easy to relocate the router.

The router & ONT are connected together via an Ethernet cable. There is nothing to stop you from moving the router to a better position (central to the property & on top of a wall unit or bookcase etc). Then buy a Cat 6 Ethernet cable of a suitable length to connect them up. To neaten things up, buy some small self-adhesive white plastic trunking to hide it in. This can make a very simple & good-looking solution. I have used this myself & run the trunking along the top of the skirting board. You could even paint it the same colour as the woodwork or plaster etc it runs along. The only technical limitation like this is that the new Ethernet cable must not be more than 100M in length.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Bruno2006
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 56

Hi Keith. 
thank you for taking the time to look at all the data . The only one applicable to me is that the router is on the floor beside the couch, which has a radiator near it. There is no where else I can place it as this is where  the ONT box is. 
I can only say this was not an issue with the BT phone line connection. 

I guess I need to look for another option, but I thank everyone for taking time out of their day to respond. 

Have a good weekend everyone 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 56

I cannot comment on the 5GHz reception as the customer does not have access to a 5GHz device that can run a WiFi analyser.

The router is using channel 11 in the 2.4GHz band and there is another network also on this channel that is too close in terms of signal strength. This may be reducing the signal strength of your network, which in turn is too low. None of the other available channels in this band are any different. I am guessing that this could be a router location issue.

This is the best router location, but obviously, this is not always practical & a compromise has to be reached.

The general rule is to keep it away from:-

1. Cordless phone (DECT) base stations
  2. TVs
  3. Loudspeakers & any sub-woofers (including those used with a PC)
  4. Computer monitors
  5. Electrical appliances – they often transmit their own signals that can interfere with Wi-Fi signals.
  6. Bluetooth devices – they operate on the same Wi-Fi frequency as your broadband, which can cause signal problems.
  7. Mirrors – they actually reflect Wi-Fi signals, stopping them from passing through walls and reflecting them back into the room.
  8. Anything containing large amounts of water – things like fish tanks and boilers can absorb Wi-Fi signals like a sponge.
  9. Large metal objects – radiators, for instance, will have the same effect on your Wi-Fi as mirrors. If you have a tower PC case with an internal WiFi card, the metal of the case can block signals to & from the antennae if they are located behind the tower case.
  10. If you are using a USB Wi-Fi adapter, use a USB socket on the front of the PC, as there is more open space around it than at the rear. If a USB extension cable is used, try to ensure that it is fairly short, so that the power from the computer is not attenuated. Long extension cables can cause the adapter to not have enough power from the computer to work correctly.

As a very general rule, the signal travels best on the same floor as the router and to the floor below. It does not always propagate very well to a floor above the router. However, with more modern routers, if they have a higher specification, they may be able to get the signal upstairs OK, but your ability to receive it also depends on your device's network adapter being of a higher specification, as well as its age.

Where USB or PCIe-connected WiFi adapters are concerned, power management is best disabled if running in Windows to keep a reliable Wi-Fi connection working at full speed. Once you have made the changes outlined below, it is probably best to restart the PC.

Windows Power Management issues. To check this in Windows 10 or 11, open Device Manager and expand Network adapters. Then right-click your WiFi card & select Properties. Next, click on the Power Management tab and untick Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. If the adapter is connected via USB, then expand the USB section in Device Manager and the same option can be found in the Power Management tab in most Root Hubs and USB Controllers. Untick it in there as well.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 56

Thanks @Gliwmaeden2 I have already advised the customer of this in a PM. However, I realise that you won't have seen that.

Keith

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 56

There are even easier ways than that V13 for example there is a Screenshot link just under the window when you press the right hand soft button. On V10 it is press & hold the Power button, then touch Screenshot.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 7 of 56

@Bruno2006, you use this icon when typing in PMs or in the forum thread to lift the image saved on the phone into the message. 

1000002554.jpg

Click on that, select image and it appears in the message. Click post to send in the normal way. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 56

@Bruno2006, on an Android phone it's usually press the volume control and on/off button simultaneously. You should see the screenshot saving in gallery. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 56

Hi @Bruno2006 

What version of Android are you using, the way to take a screenshot varies from version to version.

Keith

0 Likes

Bruno2006
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 56

Sorry Keith. 
have no idea how to take screenshots on android device given. Or how to upload them on a private message. 

I thank you for taking the time to respond to me. It was very much appreciated. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 56

Hi @Bruno2006 

I did request screenshots, not photos. Please can you get them & PM them to me, as I am trying to protect your privacy.

Keith

0 Likes

Bruno2006
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Private Message TalkTalk

Message 12 of 56

Five mins later 

Photos removed due to privacy issues.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 56

OK thanks.

Keith

Bruno2006
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 56

Hi Keith, 

thanks for this. I have a problem in that we all have iPhones/ pads and I cannot download anything onto my work laptop. 

I will need to find someone with an android device and get back to you 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 56

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference. It is quite long (about 30 pages), but you will probably only need to look at three or four pages in total. Initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This is the first link in the table of contents. This section includes full details of free Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Select the analyser of your choice & my guide explains how to use it. Collect the screenshots that I require and include them in your reply. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots to me in a PM (to protect your privacy), which I have requested in my guide. No photos please as they can be difficult to read, because the text can get out of focus when zoomed in. Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large.

Keith

Bruno2006
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 56

Hi Keith 

yes I would appreciate if you can send me this .

The crux of the matter is that before I was upgraded to City Fibre, I had NO Wi-Fi issues . As in a previous post, I had a signal when sitting in my garden! 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 56

OK, thanks for trying that, however, when a VPN is used, it will not give a true speed test reading.

In that case, the only way forward is to check out levels of WiFi interference in your property.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers a lot more from interference than the much faster 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

Bruno2006
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 56

I only have a work laptop available to me and would not be able to disable the VPN 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 56

It would appear to still be going through a VPN, can you disconnect that & try again? Otherwise, there could be possible VPN routing delays causing this problem.

Thanks.

Keith

0 Likes

Bruno2006
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 56

Wi-Fi was off on laptop and router switched off 

IMG_1819.jpeg
0 Likes