cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Help with signal drop out

Carlab1
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

I’m having problems with signal dropping out in a couple of rooms and the ring door bell at the back won’t connect I spoke to someone on live chat for 2 hours yesterday asked me to complete an ip address for the items that drop and said that is now working it’s not I’m on fibre 900 which offers whole home connection does it not ? So why do I have to argue that my current eero isn’t enough

please help

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

mrwrighty
Enlightened One
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 6

Don’t confuse the FTTP 900 service and the ability to provide a whole house connection, it’s marketing speak. The FTTP connection has nothing to do with the connectivity within your house, that is entirely down to the router and it’s Wifi capabilities. To be honest it’s extremely unlikely any household would swamp a 900mb service, but great bragging rights I guess.

I sometimes work from home have 25 IoT devices, steaming TVs, music streaming, gaming and multiple computers online and have yet to swamp my 65mb FTTP service.

I don’t have an Eero as I don’t use TT supplied routers, they are too inflexible. I have friends that have the Eero from TT and they struggle with Wifi around the house and they are susceptible to their location. They need to be in clear space, not under shelves or behind furniture. It’s best to add additional nodes to extend coverage or buy a better router. TT might supply a HUB2 as it has better Wifi and more ports.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 6

I can help further in so much as trying to optimise your WiFi signal if you want. The first thing you may want to check is the location of your Eero.

This is the best router location, but obviously, this is not always practical & a compromise has to be reached.

The general rule is to keep it away from:-

1. Cordless phone (DECT) base stations
  2. TVs
  3. Loudspeakers & any sub-woofers (including those used with a PC)
  4. Computer monitors
  5. Electrical appliances – they often transmit their own signals that can interfere with Wi-Fi signals.
  6. Bluetooth devices – they operate on the same Wi-Fi frequency as your broadband, which can cause signal problems.
  7. Mirrors – they actually reflect Wi-Fi signals, stopping them from passing through walls and reflecting them back into the room.
  8. Anything containing large amounts of water – things like fish tanks and boilers can absorb Wi-Fi signals like a sponge.
  9. Large metal objects – radiators, for instance, will have the same effect on your Wi-Fi as mirrors. If you have a tower PC case with an internal WiFi card, the metal of the case can block signals to & from the antennae if they are located behind the tower case.
  10. If you are using a USB Wi-Fi adapter, use a USB socket on the front of the PC, as there is more open space around it than at the rear. If a USB extension cable is used, try to ensure that it is fairly short, so as the power from the computer is not attenuated. Long extension cables can cause the adapter to not have enough power from the computer to work correctly.

As a very general rule, the signal travels best on the same floor as the router and to the floor below. It does not always propagate very well to a floor above the router. However, with more modern routers, if they have a higher specification, they may be able to get the signal upstairs OK, but your ability to receive it also depends on your device's network adapter being of a higher specification, as well as its age.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 3 of 6

Hi Carlab1

Please can you add your TalkTalk account number or FTTP number to the Private Notes section of your Community Profile, we can then take a look at this for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

Hi thanks for the advice, I tried them they just put me through to the tech department and went through the same ip process that I did yesterday - don’t they keep notes on file so you don’t have to do the same thing over and over !

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 6

The problem with the Eero, although only one is supplied, it is designed to work as part of a Mesh network, requiring at least two Eeros. The normal recommendation in this case is to speak to the loyalty dept (direct number 0345 1725157) & tell them one is not enough & can you have another one. Try and see if you can get an acceptable deal with them. If you get nowhere, then come back on here.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes