cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Poor wifi since swapping to full fibre.

silone74
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 22 of 22

Hello for some reason the WiFi is terrible and slow since having full fibre installed today, every few minutes the WiFi drops off and then back on, when it was fitted it was full speed no problems but now it is terrible, it was only fitted earlier today and it just isn't working properly, I have tried resetting the router and restarting it but nothing works.

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 22

Hi @Tr3vor 

I have advised you before, if you want help, you cannot use someone else's thread.

To get help, you must start your own thread. To create your own thread, go to the main page for the board in question & click the "Start a topic" button.

TalkTalk insists on one thread per problem per customer. Please note, TalkTalk makes the rules, not me.

Thanks.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 22

Hi Tr3vor,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own topic and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks

Michelle

Tr3vor
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 22

I also have this problem since changing to full fibre just before Christmas. Would be very keen on Keith French solution to see if it can resolve my issues 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 22

Hi silone74

I'm glad to hear that everything is working ok now 🙂

Thanks for your help @KeithFrench  🙂

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 22

You are very welcome @silone74 

Changed the 2.4GHz band to channel 1 & all seems OK now.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 6 of 22

I just want to say a big thank you to @KeithFrench for all of the help provided it is very much appreciated.

Si.

Message 7 of 22

I have downloaded the guide thank you I will send the screen shots as soon as I get the results from the test, thank you for the help it is appreciated. 

Si

Message 9 of 22

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 22

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed in), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so that I can find it easily.

Keith

Message 11 of 22

Thank you for the quick response. 

Si

Message 12 of 22

Hi silone74

The WIFI optimisation has now been switched off.

Thanks @KeithFrench 

Debbie 🙂

Message 13 of 22

Yes please that would be great.

Thank you.

Si

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 22

Once WiFi Optimisation is off, then I'll be able to help you.

Keith

Message 15 of 22

Hello,

Would you like us to try switching the wifi optimisation off to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Michelle

Message 16 of 22

Hello, yes it is he hub 2 router to be honest it is as it came from talktalk the only things I have changed is the WiFi name and password to my previous router to keep everything connected to it on 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz, wired connections are working as they should do, it is in the same position as the older router, the frequency of drop offs has become longer in time and download speeds are intermittently slower than they should be upload remains similar every speed check that I do.

Si.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 22

Would you like my help on this then? Full fibre requires the Hub 2 if you want to use Digital Voice.

Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5464 router? When this is enabled, as it is by default, it has the power to override any Wi-Fi configuration changes that I might suggest that you need to make. This will not help rectify this type of problem if Wi-Fi Optimisation is allowed to change my suggested settings. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 18 of 22

The WiFi still drops off but not as often as it was doing the speed is intermittently slow also, the router is the same as the older one that was on the copper connection just has the voip port on this one it is in the same position as the other router also which is the WiFi hub 2.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 19 of 22

Morning,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 22

Hi @silone74 

I can help a lot with this.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith

0 Likes