cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Suitable extension cable for Fibre 150 from wall to router

AmyLocks
Team Player
Private Message
Message 4 of 4

Help a novice please!

Just had fibre 150 installed and the cable from the unit on the wall to the eero router is too short. Is this an ethernet cable and if so, can I just buy a standard one with a longer lead?

3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

I don't have a TV Hub to be able to say for sure but the Ethernet specification is for a 1Gbps interface which is the same as the eero. Therefore the Ethernet cable should be Cat5e as a minimum specification.

Often the Ethernet cable outer sheath will be labelled. For 150Mbps speeds up to 1Gbps then the minimum requirement is Cat5e. But even a Cat5 cable that's designed for up to 100Mbps will work but may restrict the performance for higher speeds.  Cat6 and Cat7 cables are better performing, better screened cables for future proofing connections at speeds above 1Gbps. e,g, some providers now offer 2.5Gbps network speeds from their fibre optic networks.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 2 of 4

Thank you.

I have an Ethernet cable that's about 10cms longer as part of the Talktalk TV Android box. Later on, I can switch it and do a speed test but in the meantime, would you know off the top of your head if that's a 5c + cable?

0 Likes

Gondola
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 4

Yes the Ethernet cable is type Cat 5e and is only 0.9m long. So yes, you can buy a longer Ethernet cable of type Cat 5e, Cat 6, or Cat 7 in either round or flat designs. The flat design is suitable for putting under carpeting. I personally have a 10m long Cat 7 flat cable. Speed at the ONT is 150Mbps. Speed at the router is 150Mbps.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution